Scottish cyclists to pay road tax

Soldato
cycling in central london is far more insane that most of you know, if you dont cycle in oncomming traffic, overtake cars, ignore red lights, jump across pavements, you will never get out, you'll be there for days

I'd disagree with that personally.

I don't jump red lights or do any stupid stuff.
Yet I find the majority of people who do jump red lights tend to be the people who potter along over them, possibly cause a few pedestrians to have to move out the way, or a car to stop, yet I then just end up overtaking them again once the light has gone green. They have therefore gained nothing by jumping the red lights, because they aren't getting anywhere quicker than I have by obeying the lights.

The people who do jump red lights at great speed and get themselves into trouble are the messengers or people with a death wish. I've seen more than enough close calls to make you wonder why people really do such things at speed, I can sort of understand why Couriers do it, cause they get paid for it, and it's a dangerous job. Yet your average 'fakenger' on his way to work... is it really worth loosing your life or getting injured just to be at work on time? I don't think so.

Soldato
i have gone off-topic, so i'll end with that i think i cycle perfectly safe, and safer than the lot of you although it might not look it, every single thing i see i calculate in my mind its speed and direction and plot my course, very fast thinking and skill.

when a pedestrian steps out into the road randomly without looking the choice a lot of the time is to either crash into him/her while slowing down, crash into the back of a bus, or try squeeze through 2 double decker buses moving closer and closer to each other with only a 75cm gap between them

back to topic post #244 is what i agree with

Soldato
every single thing i see i calculate in my mind its speed and direction and plot my course, very fast thinking and skill.

Really? I close my eyes pedal at a constant cadance, bouncing off everything until by some fluke I arrive at my location. I'll have to give this hand / eye / leg coordination type thing you describe a try.

Does it work for pedestrians as well, as I must have trampled 20 people on my walk to the station last night.

Back
Top Bottom