Scottish cyclists to pay road tax

Permabanned

I mean the cyclist being where they shouldn't be when several lanes of traffic pull away from lights at once, on a bend, impeding two lanes of traffic due to being a dithery old fool hand signaling while struggling to pedal in a forward motion.

If I done that in a car I'd get pulled, and breath tested.

Soldato
I mean the cyclist being where they shouldn't be when several lanes of traffic pull away from lights at once, on a bend, impeding two lanes of traffic due to being a dithery old fool hand signaling while struggling to pedal in a forward motion.

If I done that in a car I'd get pulled, and breath tested.

It's true, they sound like a fool.

At the same time, I'm sure if there had been any old bill around then the cyclist would be just as likely to have gotten an earful.

Cyclists tend to all get tarred by the same brush, drivers assume that all cyclist are red-light-jumping, pavement-using, responsibility-dodging tossers who don't give a **** about anyone but themselves. Wheras in reality, decent cyclists get a lot more nonsense from car drivers than the other way around.

They already do, they have serial numbers on the underside. It's pressed into the metal.

Or do you mean register the number to people on some sort of database?

I assume that he means something to identify someone, so that if they say crash into a car and damage it, they can be identified and held accountable for the damage.

Man of Honour
There's no such thing as road tax.

Cars with low CO2 emissions pay no road fund license, so cyclists having to pay road fund license is a ridiculous idea.

Actually cars paying no road tax for emissions purposes is a ridiculous idea, vehicle excise duty was intended to fund road repairs and a Polo Bluemotion still causes wear to the roads (And fills your kids lungs with carcingens but hey its alll about the CO2 in this country isnt it).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14879938 said:
Actually cars paying no road tax for emissions purposes is a ridiculous idea, vehicle excise duty was intended to fund road repairs and a Polo Bluemotion still causes wear to the roads (And fills your kids lungs with carcingens but hey its alll about the CO2 in this country isnt it).

It may have been initially intended to fund road maintenance, but it has gone straight into the general coffers, and not into a fund for the road for a long time now has it not?

Soldato
Indeed. (didn't know they already had serial numbers)

Not sure how it would work though.

If my bikes serial was registered to me, and I crashed into a parked car how would it get back to me? Someone would have to turn my bike upside down and write down the code which is like 8 digits long, just not going to happen.

Only way it would work is a large reg plate of some description on the bike so someone could easily recognise it. Which is tbh ludicrous. Have fun telling that to the road bikers in their go-faster spandex.

Soldato
It may have been initially intended to fund road maintenance, but it has gone straight into the general coffers, and not into a fund for the road for a long time now has it not?

Everything goes into one big pot, tax, National Insurance, VAT, fuel duty, everything! None of it is ring-fenced as such. Anyway, there's a war on! (is that wearing thin yet?)

Soldato
Hmmm....

I commute on my bike to work everyday, you want me to pay a road tax, take a test and get a license?

I already have a car, pay road tax and have a driving license not to mention I also did the Cycling Proficiency back in my school days. So why should I have to then go and pay more money?

Licensing bikes just wouldn't work and there are already enough uninsured and unlicensed motor vehicle drivers on the roads to deal with. As a London commuter, my biggest gripe is with foreigners on Scooters and motorbike delivery driver types who always have 'L Plates' but no doubt have no license.

Permabanned
Not sure how it would work though.

If my bikes serial was registered to me, and I crashed into a parked car how would it get back to me? Someone would have to turn my bike upside down and write down the code which is like 8 digits long, just not going to happen.

Only way it would work is a large reg plate of some description on the bike so someone could easily recognise it. Which is tbh ludicrous. Have fun telling that to the road bikers in their go-faster spandex.

along the frame :p

Soldato
Cyclists ride on the road, we don't cause emissions, we can stop eating but then like any human we'd die, we don't destroy the road surface, bicycles are simply not heavy enough, not powerfull enough and not big enough to damage the road sufrace, the road surface destroys road bike wheels if you are careless. What exactly are we paying tax for? Some sort of insurance would be ok, I'm registered with the CTC and you carry this card with you, it's for accidents but It's not like with a car your insurance would pay for any damaged and then your insurance goes up slightly.

There are lots of car drivers that should not be on the road, just Yesterday some a$$hole in a 4x4 came airing it down this single lane country road, he nearly knocked me and another cyclist behind me off, he must have being doing 40, rightly so the cyclist behind me gave him the finger, he was a loony, then he skidded his 4x4 to a halt and came out all confrontational acting the big I am arguing we were riding 2 abreast, the weird thing was, the cyclist with me was behind me, this is single file, then he argued that you are NOT allowed AT ALL to ride two abreast, when on any road a cyclist is legally allowed to ride on you can ride 2 abreast, it is only considered courteous to ride single file when the road is A, narrow or B busy, allthough a officer could probably do you for other breaking some other law if you where hogging a busy A road, careless riding or something, in which case I we were riding 2 abreast which we was not I know full well the guy behind me would have gone single file as we're not the kind of cyclist out to p155 road drivers, I also know drivers when passing cyclists should give as much room as they would require, which does not mean airing past in a 4x4 slamming on breaks jumping out asking for a fight, I said corrected the driver and he was like "was I talking to you", and, "next time I'll run you over" and basically, " I don't give a **** about the law", I was fuming, still am, I cannot believe the bloody attitude he had, he had 3 kids in the back, the eldest of which covering the eyes of the 2 little ones, and the wife in the front passenger seat sitting there watching in bemusement.

Not the relevant thread for the second parapgraph but I thought I might aswell put it I needed to post that. sickens me the stinking attitudes some people have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom