Scottish cyclists to pay road tax

Soldato
There are idiot drivers just as there are idiot cyclists. There are more cars than bikes therefore there are more idiot drivers on the road and I can guarantee that every cyclist on this forum is on the wrong end of their antics almost every day. For those of you who complain about cyclists being too far out from the kerb then I ask, would you purposely drive over drain covers, potholes and the general crap that can be found in every kerbside? I think not.

Soldato
There are idiot drivers just as there are idiot cyclists. There are more cars than bikes therefore there are more idiot drivers on the road and I can guarantee that every cyclist on this forum is on the wrong end of their antics almost every day. For those of you who complain about cyclists being too far out from the kerb then I ask, would you purposely drive over drain covers, potholes and the general crap that can be found in every kerbside? I think not.
This is why cycle lanes should be built as much as possible. And any cyclist mounting the pavement gets electrocuted instantly.

I do feel for cyclists, a guy at work has been knocked off his bike by a bus twice this year alone. It's worrying. But I (as a pedestrian) have had the odd collision with a cyclist. *****!

Associate
I bet those who complains about bicycles never tried cycling on the road before :o. There is so many benefit to cycling than a car can ever bring not to mention all these mcdonalds eating fat ass people in their 4x4 car, maybe this is why Britain has the most obesity issues in Europe because off the ****head complaining about Bicycles:D.

You might be young and health slimish right now with an office job, keep using that car of yours and 10 years later you will look like Homer Simpson.

@eddiemcgarrigle and meghatronic
Very much agree on the pothole and drains by riding too close to the kerb so bloody annoying those thing makes it 10x harder when it gets darker.
And about cycle lanes, cycle lanes on the pavement are useless do not see the point with those why take the lane that make you stop and look both side to cross a street every 50meters or so while you can bike on the road with not stop and start.
Each stop and start for a bike is like adding 100m for a cyclists.

Commute to work easy.
1. Try to find a job within 15miles (15mph average is not hard)
2. Get a decent bike not overly expensive to start out with.
3. Keep the right tyre pressure(vital) and seatpost high so you don't look like a duck.
4. Right clothing and shoes so you don't mess up your work clothes no you don't have to look like spandex superman.

Things that will change once you get into habit
Once you arrive to work you feel like you are ready to work all pumped up.
Lower idle heart rate.
Metabolism increases you will eat more.
Huge thighs.
In general stronger and more durable.
A big fat pocket with money that you saved on petrol/roadtax/insurence/service/general breakdown costs etc.

Stop complaining about cyclists and start cycling yourself.
However I do agree that cyclists should atleast take a course in traffic behaviour/regulation unless they already have a license.

and now read this inspiring quote.
-----------------------------------------
Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym. -Bill Nye, the Science Guy
-----------------------------------------

Last edited:
Soldato
although probably 80% of people who cycle are rubbish, 95% of people who dive cars are absolutely rubbish

i cycle at 18-20mph if a car decides to beep at me i'll go infront of him and slow to 10mph

I don't think they should be taxed, but I do think insurance and registration is a good idea.

i literally cannot express how stupid that idea is

Last edited:
Soldato
I think road cyclists should take mandatory tests, and more roads should also have cycle lanes. Cities need to be made for cycle friendly like they are in Europe.

Soldato
cyclists should atleast take a course in traffic behaviour/regulation unless they already have a license.

I did almost no revision for my theory test and passed it first time almost entirely on what I knew from cycling... so would it still be legit for me to say I'm a competent cyclist having a driving licence based on my road experience in cycling?

;)

Associate
Like a road test, duh. A simpler version of the car one. Yunno, obesverations of the road and general highway code stuff.

Ive been driving for 21yrs and i cycle - should i have to take a test to allow me to continue to ride my bike on the road ?

Soldato
In my experience, cycling lanes aren't much use unless something is done about drivers using them for parking bays. Combine having to cycle around the parked cars with other drivers screaming that you're too far out into their part of the road, it's a no-win situation. Lumping cyclists in with bus lane doesn't work either as the bus drivers are among the worst offenders on the road for getting far too close to your handlebars. I don't think our car owning members would like it if a bus where to pass them within an inch of their wing mirrors.

As for idiot drivers, a few weeks back I was cycling past roadworks (road reduced to one lane) at a pretty decent pace of 20mph when a car horn was blasted right behind me. I looked around to see a taxi driver shouting at me to get out of the way although I couldn't understand why he didn't pass me as there was more than enough room. I ignored the idiot and kept pedaling but there was more thumps on the car horn and more verbal abuse. I gave him the one finger salute and continued on my way until I felt my bike being shoved forward. The idiot had rammed my back wheel. I immediately stopped to confront him but he crashed through two traffic cones and sped away. Fortunately I got his taxi number and he was arrested the next day. Still awaiting the money for my new rim though.

Soldato
:eek:

Thats one screwed up encounter. Worst deliberate encounter I've had is being chased up a bridge with roadworks narrowing the lane (and the pavement had temp fencing so I couldn't actually get off the road) over a railway by a van on the horn who I'm fairly sure then cut the lights on the other side.

A git is a git but a git in a motor vehicle harassing you when you're not is even more so.

Man of Honour
I'm not too sure about the road tax idea, but cyclists should have registration plates and have to have insurance, that would deal with the large amount of ***** on bikes that think they are untouchable.

Soldato
We should also put registration plates on pedestrians who deicde to wander out into the middle of the road because there is no cars about or the traffic has stopped and completely ignore you because you're on a bike.

I do a fair bit of cycling around central London so I guess this may not be as bad everywhere!

Soldato
For all the drivers who complain about cyclists, I challenge you to get off your lazy behinds, borrow a bike and get out there and sample what it's like to have cars thundering by you at 60mph, driving too close and generally going out of their way to impede you. It'll open your eyes and I hope you then give due consideration to cyclists as you pass them. Until you know what it's like, be quiet.

Back
Top Bottom