Scrappage Scam Extended

Capodecina
Soldato
Some of the bits that weren't mentioned in the OP:
The Society of Motor Manufacturers chief executive Paul Everitt said it was an "extremely important decision that will inspire consumer and business confidence".
Nissan's UK managing director Paul Willcox said the scheme had provided a "vital boost" to the car industry and they were pleased "to see that the Government has rightfully placed the car industry at the top of the economic agenda where it belongs".
Manufacturing associations recently wrote to Chancellor Alistair Darling about the "clear risks" of ending the scheme, saying demand for new cars would be hard to maintain without the incentives currently in place. The letter was signed by the EEF, UK Steel, the Manufacturing Technologies Association and British Plastics Federation.

Still, makes no difference to me, I am one of the 227,750 people who have already scrapped their unreliable, unsafe, polluting banger and in my case, replaced it with a nice new, safer, more fuel efficient, less polluting WhatCar? Awards 2009 Supermini Best Buy Winner Hyundai i20 :p

Soldato
Yes you said that already. It's rude to repeat yourself. Robbie G is a grown man, he can defend himself. I actually agree with some of his points, the others leave me scratching my head somewhat.

I'm not defending him, I'm defending my own rights to read something without having to trawl through irrelevant personal attacks. Feel free to read this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_vbcode_toolbar

Also noting I didn't repeat myself. One was a statement that personal attacks were irrelevant, the other was a question. Which remains unanswered, why is he getting this abuse? These things are much more understandable when you know the reason why someone deserves it.

Caporegime
I'm not defending him, I'm defending my own rights to read something without having to trawl through irrelevant personal attacks. Feel free to read this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_vbcode_toolbar

Also noting I didn't repeat myself. One was a statement that personal attacks were irrelevant, the other was a question. Which remains unanswered, why is he getting this abuse? These things are much more understandable when you know the reason why someone deserves it.

Post stupid comments - get abuse. It's how the internet works.

If you actually look, he made the first insult by calling me a fatass. Read into it if you will. Back on topic anyway now.

Man of Honour
Fair points. A scrappage scheme is a good general model, but restrict it to British companies only. Why should the british tax payer compensate foreign shareholders during a recession?

Since when was the only, or even the majority, of motor industry employment in manufacturing?

The number of people employed by the dealer networks alone dwarfs the numbers employed in actually producing cars in the UK.

Man of Honour
OP
Another point I'd like to raise: people like [TW]Fox seem to believe that the best solution for everyone is to buy a second hand four year old wreck for £10k.

a) Please do not fall into the trap others do of thinking I think everyone should do what I do. You will find precisely zero occurances on this forum of me recommending people (outside of threads where its specifically asked for) do what I did in terms of car buying.

b) LOL @ your attempt at an insult. A wreck, great. At least its not the sort of thing you normally find yourself being miffed about being offered at the airport hire car desk ;)

Perhaps he doesn't care about UK car factory workers. Fine. But he should still take it into consideration in his one-sided rants.

The UK factory car workers who buillt your Golf?

You got a new Golf, thats great. I'm glad you love it. Why should the taxpayer have helped fund it, though?

To be honest my real bugbear with Scrappage is that the cars traded in MUST be scrapped. Where is the logic in that? Why not a 'tradeage' scheme instead? There is nothing wrong with T plate 1.25 Fiestas - they are economical, reliable and a good source of decent motoring for those on a budget.

Infact frankly if as you think I only care about what I do I wouldn't give a flying **** about scrappage. I hate most of the cars being scrapped and wouldnt drive a Fiesta or a 1996 old shape Merc E Class if you paid me. But guess what - I can see things from others points of view. Some people would be quite glad of the opportunity of purchasing a low mileage Honda Civic. But no, it must be crushed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get off your snobbish high horses. This scheme works for some.

The gf has been driving a 1P reg Micra for nearly 3 years now, and the clutch went. It was in decent nick aside from this, but had cost a couple of hundred quid on the last 2 MOTs with a bit of welding, and the next MOT was due.

So, it went into the scrappage scheme, and yes, one of the hated Hyundais came out the other end - an i10.

The old car - no airbags other than the steering wheel, no electric windows, no trip computer, no aircon.

The new one - all the above now inlcuded, and a new car in her name for less than £5k. 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing as standard. And her first new car in her name to boot. Bought with no finance, and a value attached to the scrapped car of £2,700.

Frankly, she'd have been stupid not to have done the deal. It is the right car for her, and she loves it.

Accept the fact that it works for some, and not for others, and get over it.

Man of Honour
OP
Get off your snobbish high horses.

Could you possibly explain how being dissapointed at the forced scrapping of reliable 10 year old car is 'snobbery'? :confused:

Surely snobbery would be cheering on the scrapping of these old 'bangers' rather than wishing they'd be able to drive another day?

I have no PERSONAL interest or agenda in scrappage. I do not drive a scrappage qualifying car, I am not in the market to buy the sort of car being 'forced' off the roads by scrappage, etc etc. My opinions on scrappage are formed by taking an objective view at whats happening - as it has absolutely no personal bearing on my life or my taste in cars whatsoever. I don't buy 10 year old cars so I don't care from a personal point of view if they all vanished tommorrow.

Many people, however, DO buy 10 year old cars..

And remember guys - 'scrappage' itself gives only £1000. The rest is from the dealer, and is part of the margin on the car anyway.

Thats right - all you are really getting is a min £1000 part ex for these cars. The extra inflated figures many manufacturers are offering are just part of their usual margin and would otherwise have been available as discounts anyway. An N reg Polo, for example, with MOT (regardless of 'pending' work - most £1k car buyers could not see this coming anyway so you'd still get a tidy sum) is worth £500+ and the rest of the 'discount' you'd have got off the car anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
And they still can.

What's your point?

Supply of these cars is being reduced as many perfectly reliable, serviceable and safe examples with many years of life left in them are being forcibily destroyed. The amount of clean, tidy 1-2 owner cars that have been owned by decent families for a long period of time is decreasing as they are being used for 'scrappage'. In the mean time, the crappy smokey banger examples with 17 previous owners none of which has kept it more than 6 months are still out there because they dont qualify..

Scrappage has had a very bad effect on the cheap car market as the better examples of the typical 'banger' are dissapearing (Remember - you need to have had the car for more than a year and most of the better kept examples are those people have owned for a while rather than a short period of time), this reduced level of supply is pushing prices up. I personally couldnt care less but what about those buying a first car?

Why does scrappage have to equal scrapped? Why must these cars be removed from the road? Why can they not be sold on to those less fortunate than us?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
[TW]Fox;14984690 said:
... many perfectly reliable, serviceable and safe examples with many years of life left in them are being forcibily destroyed. The amount of clean, tidy 1-2 owner cars that have been owned by decent families for a long period of time is decreasing as they are being used for 'scrappage'...
Absolute rubbish. Sure, there are a tiny minority of clean, tidy, reliable 1-2 owner cars being scrapped; not because their owners are "forced" to scrap them but because by selling these allegedly priceless little gems, they can't get an equivalent deal.

[TW]Fox;14984690 said:
... Why does scrappage have to equal scrapped? Why must these cars be removed from the road? Why can they not be sold on to those less fortunate than us?
That is your one and only reasonable comment. I suspect that the answer is that the vast majority of scrapped cars simply aren't worth the money that you suggest they are, especially after a dealer has checked them over, made sure they are safe and offered some sort of a guarantee.

It is my understanding that this scheme was widely supported by the UK motor trade.

Much as I hate and despise the consumerist economy on which society now depends, I can only applaud this scheme for removing unsafe, polluting cars from the roads of Britain.

Soldato
samuelljacklamps.gif

just had to post it...

Caporegime
Isn't a valid MOT a prerequisite for a car to qualify? You know the test the makes sure a car is roadworthy and meets emissions standards set out by the appropriate government agency?

ANY car with a valid MOT is more or less guaranteed to be worth more than £500 and you can easily save over £1000 on a new car by buying it pre-registered. There are better deals but the government is conning the public into thinking otherwise.

As for the environmental 'benefit', the pollution caused by making a new Korean piece of tat and the disposal of the old car far outweighs any savings made in emissions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Isn't a valid MOT a prerequisite for a car to qualify? You know the test the makes sure a car is roadworthy and meets emissions standards set out by the appropriate government agency?

An MOT only certifies that it met the minimum required standard on the day of the test. How that compares with a current production car is a different matter entirely.

Caporegime
Robbie G answered his own argument earlier in the thread.

The scheme is designed to help car manufacturers. And no scheme designed to help someone selling something is going to also be beneficial to those people buying that something. It is simply impossible for for something simply financial, as this is, to aid both the seller and the buyer. It is a zero sum game, one side wins, the other looses.

People who wouldn't have bought a new car, are now buying a new car, spending more money than they would have done without the scheme. Yes you have a shiny new car, but the scheme is to financially aid the car industry, and financially you are worse off than you were before.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am with Fox and all others here that it makes me sick that PERFECTLY acceptable cars are scrapped. It's such a waste.

"Boosting" new car sales by destroying something else.

Back
Top Bottom