Scratch Build and web app for scratch builds.

Associate
Here is my latest scratch build.
e7WUErOR_o.jpg

If you are interested in building a custom PC of your own I have also made a web app for you to do a 3D layout here PC Design Foundry

I wanted a medium tower size with good air flow bottom to top. I also wanted to have a distributor plate on the front so there are no vent openings to keep it quiet.

I moved the power supply to the front of the enclosure and used an SFX form factor to get a good fit with the pump. Then I was able to fit two 360 rads along the whole length of the enclosure.

I used a Micro ATX motherboard because I was not going to need 7 PCI slots.

Looking back on the build I wish I had got a motherboard with built in RGB LED headers as I ended up having to get separate cables with built in controllers for the LED's in the Fans.

I also should change the connection from the pump to the front distributor plate to be a soft line tube at some point to minimise the bump vibration noise.
  • CPU. Intel i7 9700k
  • GPU Palit RTX 2080Ti
  • Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2
  • Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC) Micro-ATX
  • 800W Silverstone Strider SFX Power Supply
  • 2 x 360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Radiators
  • 6x EK Vardar 120 mm fans.
  • EK Water Blocks EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Pump
  • Bitspower Matte Black Fittings
  • Custom sleved internal cabling

Machined corner extrusions form 1" square stock Aluminum 6082 on my Stoney CNC JBEC 1259012 router
hKFXZ2G8_o.jpg

It takes three setups and about five hours of machining for each part.
EvbxRyyY_o.jpg

Installed Tappex M4 inserts so that the other enclosure parts can be assembled. I tried M3 inserts but the installation toosl kept breaking.
eIXI9bfM_o.jpg

Machined the sheet metal parts form 2 mm 6082 T6 Aluminium Stoney CNC JBEC 1259012 router The bed size is 1.25 m by 0.9 m with a vacuum table installed.
cfadCo4c_o.jpg

7kRvRgKS_o.jpg

Folded using Baileigh Industrial, Magnetic Box and Pan Folder I have to machine a recess at the bend points about 1.2 mm deep and 3.5 mm wide to get really accurate bends and avoid cracking. I also need to have a minimum of 16 mm flange length to get a good bend. It means I have to finish machining out the rear IO recess after bending.
dSd0KWWx_o.jpg

ekMTqGl1_o.jpg

Press in PEM inserts using Baileigh Industrial, BENCH PRESS (BP-3) These are the main motherboard mounting standoffs.
A4to9iur_o.jpg

All the metal parts bent with PEM's installed.
Ld1yWJTi_o.jpg

Start assembly test.
sqZAs7Go_o.jpg

khmvp9ly_o.jpg

Machine first part of front distributor plate from 10 mm Cast Acrylic
wn4MCAyc_o.jpg

Ax7wMP1X_o.jpg

Tap holes for G1/4 fittings
4EYVSc88_o.jpg

Test assembly fit check.
U0fhuf4g_o.jpg

Xrs03wrP_o.jpg

Some components
NpNe9YpT_o.jpg

Fit check. I really wanted to have both the radiators and pump mount directly to the distributor plate with adjustable fittings instead of any additional hard line tubing.
QJmjaye1_o.jpg

4WpgD5s3_o.jpg

Make some custom O rings.
fOGlrYie_o.jpg

The top fans are exhaust fans so I had to make a trim part to cover the rear labels.
so8XI8YZ_o.jpg

Powder coated. I used an outside supplier for this.
5DCGVKq5_o.jpg

Hand sand a brushed aluminum finish on the corner extrusions. I tried using a sander but it gouged the metal too much.
AzSMLrQV_o.jpg

jMNhbGN1_o.jpg

pGC2Z6xY_o.jpg

TGi1ieiX_o.jpg

tu7cd3n3_o.jpg

Bottom fans are intake. A bit of a shame as you cant see the logos.
Tfo9pWrz_o.jpg

yPTW0xMr_o.jpg

Build some custom cables. Since the power supply is up front I needed some really short ones.
JHMZML4N_o.jpg

8Oee5GlJ_o.jpg

9uWI3yMj_o.jpg

GJJMeSIh_o.jpg

Also sleved the pump cables.
oDsGruNA_o.jpg

Making some custom PCI power cables.
oSriCcaP_o.jpg
Qq1N9kg7_o.jpg

Here you can see the radiator connected straight to the distributor plate.
nyRqCPTp_o.jpg

ADpIdhi0_o.jpg

Make some hard line tubing. PET 16 mm
x9L8aQEB_o.jpg

Machine a carbon fiber side panel and top fan trim. Machined in a water bath.
L9JwVkvU_o.jpg

sPlilH3Z_o.jpg
RNhpItUr_o.jpg

JBmpa8Xb_o.jpg

79oGIW3V_o.jpg

HGDafkEt_o.jpg

pLy9TzJU_o.jpg

Carbon Fiber Side Panel
YuoOXt4p_o.jpg

rCi2pqaH_o.jpg

Soldato
Lovely, lovely work. Particular clean wiring and tubing, love it mate, great project.

How’re you finding the DDC? I’ll be swapping mine out as it’s frustrating having a particularly quiet system, with a noisy pump. Swapping to a D5 though it’s going to be a horribly tight fit.

Associate
OP
Lovely, lovely work. Particular clean wiring and tubing, love it mate, great project.

How’re you finding the DDC? I’ll be swapping mine out as it’s frustrating having a particularly quiet system, with a noisy pump. Swapping to a D5 though it’s going to be a horribly tight fit.

Well funny you should ask about the EK_XRES DDC PWM Pump noise. I'm just starting to work on improving it as it is really bugging me. It currently has an easily discernible tone/whine to the noise at 266 Hz when the pump speed is at 20% duty cycle (minimum setting with my motherboard around 1280 Rpm) and going up from there as the speed increases.

(Using an iPhone app for the following spectrum captures.)
20%
0HSOUusV_o.png

26%
jN3HxdKN_o.png

It also has some noise loudness spikes down at the low end of the rpm range. One at 26% duty cycle and one at 30% duty cycle. For some reason the speed tops out at 70% duty cycle with my motherboard.
(Using a sound level meter VLIKE VL6708)
FFOqE9kQ_o.png

In all this testing I had the fans and all other noise sources completely off. Just changing the pump speed in the BIOS settings.

I think the noise is really exasperated by the mounting I currently have. Since the pump is directly connected with an extendable fitting to the front distributor plate of the enclosure it is probably coupling a lot of the vibration to it. First thing I am going to try it changing to some high quality flexible soft line tubing between the pump and the distributor plate. After that I will also see if I can improve the pump mounting bracket stiffness and isolation.

I8DwD4Ii_o.jpg

idKo0ZZK_o.jpg

I was actually considering getting a D5 as well to see if that helps. Luckily I have plenty of space.

Associate
OP
That's a fantastic piece of work there! You don't appear to have dust filters in the intakes though?

Correct. I don't have dust filters on the inlets. I really wanted to keep the air flow restriction to a minimum. I'm just planning to clean any dust build up when I do coolant flush every 6 months with vacuum and compressed air.

One additional thing I have found is that with fans on full I get a rhythmic surging of the air flow as the 15 mm feet don't provide enough space at the bottom and the fans get starved. I have to put the whole thing on 15 mm blocks to get more height. Not a problem at any normal fan speed though.

Soldato
Well funny you should ask about the EK_XRES DDC PWM Pump noise. I'm just starting to work on improving it as it is really bugging me.

It also has some noise loudness spikes down at the low end of the rpm range. One at 26% duty cycle and one at 30% duty cycle. For some reason the speed tops out at 70% duty cycle with my motherboard.

I think the noise is really exasperated by the mounting I currently have. Since the pump is directly connected with an extendable fitting to the front distributor plate of the enclosure it is probably coupling a lot of the vibration to it.

I was actually considering getting a D5 as well to see if that helps. Luckily I have plenty of space.

I use flex tube, the EK LMT stuff, it’s excellent. I prefer the aesthetic, and maintenance is so much easier. I use a decoupling system, the rubber mounts are fixed to foam, then the foam to a decoupled piece of the chassis. Even with the mounting I’ve undervolted the DDC to make it quiet enough for me not to throw it out the window.

The DDC is just a really noisy pump, and as you point out, it’s a particularly unpleasant noise. My advice would be just to switch to the D5, it’s
super quiet with great flow, though it don’t think it’s got quite as much pressure as the DDC for overcoming restriction. I went for the DDC because unlike you space is at a premium.

I’ve got 240 and 360 rads, 5 drives, seperate res and pump and a full ATX build in a Meshify C. Great case, I picked it for it’s compactness, but the D5 be a squeeze. It’ll be worth it to get rid of that damned noise though.

One additional thing I have found is that with fans on full I get a rhythmic surging of the air flow as the 15 mm feet don't provide enough space at the bottom and the fans get starved. I have to put the whole thing on 15 mm blocks to get more height. Not a problem at any normal fan speed though.

You’ve got more rad space than me, and my fans almost never go above minimum speed. They’re based off water temp. How have you got their curves setup, and are they based off water temp?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You’ve got more rad space than me, and my fans almost never go above minimum speed. They’re based off water temp. How have you got their curves setup, and are they based off water temp?

I use water temp for the fans. Have it set to 27c - 26% up to 36c - 45% then 45c - 100%

For the pump I can't seem to make my motherboard bios (ROG Strix Z370-G) use anything but the CPU temp. So in order to avoid it ramping up and down all the time I have is set as follows. 50c - 34% up to 68c - 54% then 75c -100%

These are my temps and noise AT 23.4 C AMBIENT

Idle
Noise 36.4 dB
Pump 2671 rpm
Fan 650 rpm
CPU Temp 30c
GPU Temp 29c
Water Temp 27c

GPU Stress (Heaven)
Noise 37.2 dB
Pump 2746 rpm
Fan 970 rpm
CPU Temp 44c
GPU Temp 49c
Water Temp 35c

CPU Stress (Prime95 Small FFTs)
Noise 38.6 dB
Pump 3147 rpm
Fan 817 rpm
CPU Temp 66c
GPU Temp 35c
Water Temp 33c

CPU + GPU Stress
Noise 40.5 dB
Pump 3655 rpm
Fan 1167 rpm
CPU Temp 68c
GPU Temp 49c
Water Temp 38c

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same problem with my Maximus X. Both the CPU header and CPU_2 (or whatever it’s called) are tied to the cpu temp and you can’t use an external sensor. It’s very annoying, as I built my system around not needing a fan controller. I’ve used Corsair Commanders in the past, and it very nearly made me switch back. I still might.

I’ve only done two levels for my cpu header connected fan, it’s just the rear exhaust, so it’s set to lowest speed until the CPU hits 75C.

Judging by the effort you’ve taken in measuring your acoustics, Aquero Aquabus system from AquaComputer might prove a very nice fit for you, you’re probably already aware of it.

If I weren’t skint, I’d be getting their awesome new D5, an internal controller and some other bits. It’s likely a future upgrade for me. I’ll do my usual and keep a keen eye on the MM until the right gear pops up.

Associate
OP
I changed to EK Duraclear soft line tubing at the pump and also improved the stiffness of the pump mounting plate. The result was really good. The tone noises are barely noticeable now and the overall noise has been reduced a lot. I think I will stick with the DDC for a while.

lmiUa3tO_o.png

I had an old pump mount shelf in my scrap pile so I flipped it upside down and moved it over by one set of pump mounting holes. The result is that the shelf for the pump is now much stiffer.
lO1R243S_o.jpg

I will have to take the old one out and paint it black next time I drain the loop. Need to get some new coolant asap as it is going cloudy.
Azrs9LJX_o.jpg

VRvtdOnu_o.jpg

Sound Quality has improved and does not have the big peaks. The ones you can see here are barely audible to me now. This is at 36% pump duty cycle.
9B1a1Lnq_o.png

At 20% duty cycle minimum speed.
I3TGL5il_o.png

At Full Power. Just a bit louder but no tones.
fhK0DuIP_o.png

New Stress test noise levels. Temps are about the same.

Idle
Old Noise 36.4 dB
New Noise 35.0 dB

GPU Stress (Heaven)
Old Noise 37.2 dB
New Noise 36.3 dB

CPU Stress (Prime95 Small FFTs)
Old Noise 38.6 dB
New Noise 36.2 dB

CPU + GPU Stress
Old Noise 40.5 dB
New Noise 37.3 dB