Scratches in Glass

Associate
Having just moved house the previous owners had some very I’ve eager dogs . There’s some scratches up the patio doors .

Can these be polished out or is it new glass ?

Another how long is a piece of string question!

The answer of course like everything else is, it all depends!

How large is the pane of glass? Is it double glazed? uPVC or wood frame ? When was it installed ?

If it's in any way reasonably recent it is a legal requirement that all glass fitted to doors is toughened, and you should be able to confirm this by an etching in the glass itself, with the BS kite mark. If it is UPVC replacement is simple, but my local glass supplier is running on a 3 week lead time. The cost will be dependent on the size and this is the question only you can answer. Double glazed units fail and yours will too at some point but again it's all down to your decision. There are instructions on how to polish scratches out of toughened glass on You tube should you shoose to go that way.

Soldato
I bought the snake oil kit from eBay to polish out some scratches. Made it worse than ever, ended up replacing all the panels. It shouldn't be mega bucks but as above, it is totally dependant on size and availability.

Soldato
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, you won't polish it out yourself. A professional will be able to do it but there will be a ripple from where they will need to remove material to thin the pane. It might be cheaper to replace the panes.

Soldato
I replaced a pane of glass in my last house as part of the sale (so around 2 years ago), it was approx 60cm * 120cm and cost me £60 fitted by the company who had done some windows for us a few years before.

Back
Top Bottom