1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCSI instead of SATAII

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by FishPolice, 2 Jun 2006.

1. FishPolice

Hitman

Just put together a new system & reinstalled XP (no service packs yet). I have a single SATA drive (Samsung Spinpoint Sata II) but for some reason it's properties describe it as an SCSI drive. Is this normal?

-this is the 1st time I have used a sata drive & I'm a wee bit confused :confused:

I made up a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it and pressed F6 when prompted. The floppy drive lit up for a brief second & then went off (no grinding/juddering noises like when the floppy drive usually operates) so I'm doubtful if the windows install actually accessed the drivers.
    I also installed the drivers again (just to make sure lol) once windows was up & running -this time I used the installation cd instead of the floppy disk. Still shows as SCSI though.

Have I cocked up somewhere?

2. me227

Soldato

3. FishPolice

Hitman

Thanks for the link. Exact same symptoms here & same mobo too. Must be an Asrock thang :D

4. smids

Soldato

Depends on the controller. My Silicon Image SiI 3132 controller is a sata controller but for the purposes of running just a single drive instead of a RAID which it is designed to do, it runs a pseudo-scsi device whereby it emulates SCSI for the purposes of windows.