1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCSI Raid - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by monkeypants, 18 May 2006.

1. monkeypants

Mobster

I'm toying with the idea of getting two 18Gb 15K SCSI drives and a raid card. Trouble is, I'm limited to PCI. So, should I go for this, or try and get two cheap 36Gb raptors?

2. PureAppleJuice

Wise Guy

Well, the SATA2 WD Raptors are equally fast, saves you buying a PCI card. The price you pay for all of that you could probably get a 74gb Raptor, or maybe 2.

3. monkeypants

Mobster

The drives would be £20ish each so the SCSI setup wouldn't be expensive.

When are the new 74Gb Raptors coming out? The ones with 16mb cache?

4. PureAppleJuice

Wise Guy

Not sure :( How much is the PCI card?

5. Indy500

Capodecina

Probably cheap as well, judging by the cost of my Adaptec (£11.50).

6. PureAppleJuice

Wise Guy

Oops, well, now I look like a fool :D Last time I looked at SCSI was a couple of years back, so i'll leave this thread be now :p

7. Indy500

Capodecina

Dont buy it new, is what I'll say. Too pricey. Nothing wrong with used SCSI as its reliable\long lasting compared to regular SATA\IDE drives.

8. monkeypants

Mobster

Used is best, but would the PCI bus limit me meaning I don't get full performance from the drives?

9. Indy500

Capodecina

Dont recall many drives in RAID exceeding 133 megabytes per second.

10. rpstewart

Man of Honour

A pair of drives no, but a decent SCSI RAID5 array will run at well over 250Mb/s. I've seen 400Mb/s before but that's from a fibre channel SAN.

11. utherpendragon

Hitman

I'd recommend actually hearing 2 15k disks running before you commit to it. In a home PC I feel 10k in raid arrays are loud enough

12. cavemanoc

Mobster

Another vote for 2nd hand Scsi setups here - they really are awesome if you want quick access in games and on the desktop. There are several problems at the moment, the larges one being that the PCI interface is horribly limiting , and though you still get good seek times, the throughput is completely saturated by one drive, never mind 2/5/20!

Have a peak at the thread I set up a while ago - might answer a few questions!

Scsi - the future?

I wouldn't go back - but then I do accept that they have issues (noise/size/cost) But then I think they are worth all that and more!