1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scummy Marks on My Cymbals?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by AmDaMan, 15 Jun 2006.

1. AmDaMan

Mobster

Hey, i've noticed for a while now there were some dark marks on my cymbals, I decided to clean them today with 'Groove Juice' cymbal cleaner and it made them worse?! What is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Foghorn Leghorn

Wise Guy

Hmmm, not sure ..... have you tried changing the oil and filters first to see if that clears it up? :p ;) :D

Failing that you could try changing the plugs :D

Fog

3. TaKeN

Capodecina

Broken timing belt from the looks of it m8 :(

4. ihatelag

Wise Guy

5. Zip

Capodecina

You tryed to T cut that yet? :p

6. Nimzicki

Mobster

Cat-D write-off mate sorry :(

7. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Nearly looks like someone has used them to extinguish their cigarettes on... :)

8. kaiowas

Capodecina

They look quite badly scored. I'd fit new disks and pads.

9. AmDaMan

Mobster

LOL!!! quality replies, sorry I look at motors so much I forgot there were other forums :D

10. Zip

Capodecina

Noob :p

ive done this once before

11. lozza23_uk

Wise Guy

leave the dirt on there, adds to the sound!

got bored of rubbing the print off my cymbals, and usually crack them before they have time to get dirty now anyways.

12. AmDaMan

Mobster

It's not dirt though I don't think, it's like some kind of print, looks crappy! Must be expensive replacing all your cymbals :eek:

13. Dave

Mobster

It's just a bit of oxidation/patina on the cymbals. Comes around from dirt and sweaty hands :p

Some people like the "ageing" effect it can have, usually mellows up the cymbal a bit. The best thing for cymbals is just a little dust off after practises, and washing them with warm, slightly soapy water every month or so. Maybe use a cymbal cleaner from Zildjian (I assume you use Zildjian's) if you want a bit more cleaning power.

I hate to sound like an old man, but if you are cracking cymbals regularly it's a sign of bad technique. Get it checked out. Even hard hitting players who have correct technique can keep their cymbals for a long time.

http://www.paiste.com/faqs/#faq78 is a good little link. :)

(if you were being sarcastic I apologise, it's late and I've been working all day!)

Last edited: 15 Jun 2006
  14. starscream

PermaBanned

:eek: I'm impressed with the number of coherent sentences in a thread full of drummers ;):D

15. William

Capodecina

Looks like corrosion from water or your sweaty fists flailing about. Brasso should clean it if you go with the grain of the cymbal.

Cleaning cymbals does change their sound, tends to make them like they were brand new, you might like the worn in sound so think before you stick any cleaner on it. :)

16. AmDaMan

Mobster

Yeah might leave it then, they were in the cellar for a while which is pretty damp :(

17. Dave

Mobster

Don't clean with Brasso - it removes any protective layer your cymbal has too. This leads to the same thing happening, but in a shorter space of time.

If you use Zildjian use the Zildjian cleaner, as it will keep the protective layer in tact. Although I'm not sure what the layer is like on Zildjian's, but Paiste offers a cleaner and protector to keep the cymbals from getting dirt inside the grains of the bronze.

I'm almost as impressed as the time that our two guitar players were actually playing in tune :p

18. raz0rr

Hitman

The marks are due to the fact that cleaning cymbals removes the protective coating that the manufacturers put on them.
    If you dry them properly after cleaning, and try not to handle them too much, then it should help.

Although I don't know why you're cleaning a traditional finished cymbal. A little bit of dirt add to the character.
    If it was a brilliant (reflective) finished one, I could understand.

I don't clean any of my cymbals myself. I prefer it when they look used.

Dave's right. You shouldn't be cracking cymbals at all if you have good technique. Unless you're using Ahead sticks, in which case you might as well be hitting them with baseball bats.
    http://www.paiste.com/faqs/default.php?faqcategoryid=3&faqid=78#faq78
    Remember, always a glancing blow.

19. William

Capodecina

No problems here but then again my cymbals are pretty crap anyway. The products made by the respectibe companies are not that expensive anyway.

20. Dave

Mobster

True, always best using the named stuff as it's not an absolute rip off :)

I remember using Brasso on my old Zildjian Scimitar ride (fairly crap) and it was fine and shiny straight off, but a couple of months down the line it was more oxidised than before.