Seagate 7200.10 320GB help

Associate
Yeah i dont really understand it either - i too have the noisy version, however at the moment it seems quite reasonable! I may change my mind though :confused: :p

Associate
OP
ATI said:
@ david25

i checked the storagereview.com and the link to the review above, i,m slightly a bit confused, to get the quiter drive i need to have the quiet spindle as like the above pic and the latest firmware basicaly?

this causing a bit of headache i may sway to the se16 at least u know what you getting for your cash

Hi, yes from SUBJECTIVE evidence you need to get the quiet spindle, although I dont think the firmware matters too much, otherwise choose the WD from anandtech

I'm trying for the seagate from OC, based on what people have said here

Associate
Just thought is add , ive been running it constantly for about 4 hours - mixed apps , net etc and it really is a hot bugger. Def do not put one of these in an enclosure. Ive just put mine into the case alu hd rack with 120mm fan blowing onto it - its still very warm !

Associate
ATI said:
@ elric

whats the firmware and date of manufacturing and country as well?

do you the spindle as same as above pic?

thanks

I'll get the firmaware soon, but my disks all have the purple colour on them.

Associate
Biglunn said:
One I ordered is a NON-Silent one.... made in China. But its very quiet! Im confused.... should it be noisy? Should I ask for my money back??

Ive had my case open today, and I have changed my opinion. Currently, I have 3 HDs in my Antec P150 case, all on silicone mounts. Whilst doing a large transfer of files, I noticed a a fair mit of noise. Just putting my hand on the 7200.10 and I could feel quite a bit of rattling/shaking/vibrating! My Maxtor DM9s dont vibrate/rattle in the slightest. I can imagine that this noise really stands out in ultra quiet PCs. Buried in my case, its not an issue.

Do these `noisy` drives perform any worse in benchmarks?

(Made in China; 3.AAC; 07033

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi, check the storagereview forum, link above, there are some with poor benchmarks

Biglunn said:
Ive had my case open today, and I have changed my opinion. Currently, I have 3 HDs in my Antec P150 case, all on silicone mounts. Whilst doing a large transfer of files, I noticed a a fair mit of noise. Just putting my hand on the 7200.10 and I could feel quite a bit of rattling/shaking/vibrating! My Maxtor DM9s dont vibrate/rattle in the slightest. I can imagine that this noise really stands out in ultra quiet PCs. Buried in my case, its not an issue.

Do these `noisy` drives perform any worse in benchmarks?

(Made in China; 3.AAC; 07033

Soldato
I got my 320Gb 7200.10 and mine is noisy compared to my 2 other Seagate drives. So not a good start for me.

MADE IN CHINA rubbish grrrggh.

Soldato
Amps said:
I got my 320Gb 7200.10 and mine is noisy compared to my 2 other Seagate drives. So not a good start for me.

MADE IN CHINA rubbish grrrggh.

Did you buy from OCUK?

Has anyone got a 7200.10 320 recently? which are OCUK stocking?

I am reading people say (on other forums) that their's are from China and they are quiet, some saying they are really really loud. I am really confused now :confused:

edit#2:

People getting ones made in China with 'silent' motors too :\
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=79238&page=4

Last edited:

bee

bee

Associate
no idea what colour goo is on mine , but mine is made in thailand and is silent.It has 3.AAC firmware and idles at 35c.

Soldato
I've got one on here atm, running along side another 4 drive (just transfering data to it atm) and its quiet as anything, can't hear it over my 6600GTs fan.

Soldato
It will say made in china on it, read the first post of this topic. The Chinese ones are the non-silent motors apparently
Not-Silent.jpg

I just got mine from ocuk, and it's the silent type (pink goo, made in Singapore, firmware: 3.AAD). Just finished ghosting it, and i can't hear it over my fans so it's no louder than my old HDD.
Seems silent to me.

Running on an MSI K8N Neo platinum (with original bios), with the latest 5.10 nforce drivers (v.2.6 SATA driver?).

hdtach.JPG

hdtune.JPG

Back
Top Bottom