Seagate Firecuda SSHD, worth it?

Associate
Thinking of upgrading my current 1tb 2.5 hsgt travelstar with a 2 tb firecuda, is it really worth it over a standard barracuda? Only thing really drawing me in is the free AssCreed game thrown in, but I already have a 240gb SSD for my OS and main software, just thinking of expanding capacity, will probably keep the current 1TB for backups and stuff.

Any ideas if the SSHD actually improves gaming performance or actual read and write speeds?

If its at all possible to get the game with the barracuda for free I'll go for that in a heart beat

Permabanned
a firecuda is just a barracuda with a small SSD cache, buy any normal drive say a barracuda and use a small part of your boot ssd to cash it.
make a 5gb to 10gb partition on your ssd and use intel RST to cache the main HDD

A firecuda is good if you can only fit one drive into the system but dont want to spend £600 on an 1tb SSD, if you system is already running an SSD then a firecuda is just not needed

Man of Honour
sshds are pointless. unless you genuinely cannot afford an ssd.
in which case i'd probably say get an ssd first then get a secondary hdd when you can afford it :D
(yes, i used to own an sshd for my laptop)

Associate
OP
I used to have a SSHD for my laptop too, it was good for OS when I couldn’t fit a second drive. I don’t really need an extra SSD, already got a spare one laying around unused :D. Just trying to find an excuse to get the new assassins creed, works about £25 if I pretend the firecuda is a boggo standard barracuda

a firecuda is just a barracuda with a small SSD cache, buy any normal drive say a barracuda and use a small part of your boot ssd to cash it.
make a 5gb to 10gb partition on your ssd and use intel RST to cache the main HDD

A firecuda is good if you can only fit one drive into the system but dont want to spend £600 on an 1tb SSD, if you system is already running an SSD then a firecuda is just not needed

Thanks for the tip, that does sound interesting, maybe I could use the unused 120gb SSD to do that, because I keep most of my game son HDD, only one or two most played on SSD, could use the cache to cycle through other games I might play, but guessing the increased read/write cycles won’t be the best for the SSD

Man of Honour
@thekarrari why not just use the extra 120gb SSD as your 'frequently played games' drive? Lol

Also if you can get assassin's creed cheaper than £25 from elsewhere, then the sshd isn't worth it. If you can't, then the sshd is worth it :d

Associate
OP
@thekarrari why not just use the extra 120gb SSD as your 'frequently played games' drive? Lol

Also if you can get assassin's creed cheaper than £25 from elsewhere, then the sshd isn't worth it. If you can't, then the sshd is worth it :d

Not a bad idea given that it’s a hyperx, just a little lazy now and saving it until I actually need it

Back
Top Bottom