Seasonic Focus Plus 850W ticking

Associate
Looking for a second opinion here, hopefully there's a few other Seasonic Focus owners about today.

Just unwrapped the new PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Gold - popped the psu tester on it to check it works before installing and doing the many, many cables. Obviously this is with almost no load on the unit, so with the Fanless mode the fan isn't moving, complete silence. With the Fanless mode button off the fan does spin quite slowly, but definitely makes a steady ticking noise. I can't see anything like the fan grill being bent out of shape and touching the blades. Now I've got a few PWM fans around me while typing this on other machines, spinning with only a 'gentle woosh' and no ticking at all - so I don't think I'm expecting too much, and wonder what the noise will be like under gaming loads.

Anyway the point of the post is - do you have a fancy new Seasonic Focus PSU - if so how do you find the fan? Does mine have a bad/damaged fan, or is this what others have found on these units, the reviews suggest it's a high quality, very quiet fan. Don't really want to RMA it and find it's me being fussy when the replacement ships with the same noise etc.

Soldato
Don't own one but will leave a comment:

I'd build the system and check then, just to rule out it not playing well with that tester. If it still does it, return for refund, don't RMA. Buy another, new, or you'll get a used replacement when you've only just forked out for new.

Associate
khemist - what psu did you go for in the end? Was set on getting the Seasonic until reading about the noise issues. Apparently, G3s aren't quiet either, so I'm investigating G2s now.

Soldato
I went back to my Silverstone strider 850w Gold, the Seasonic one wasn't needed anyway.

Also i've had a couple of sets of cables made for the Silverstone psu that would have been useless on the Seasonic.

Soldato
I don't have the Seasonic unit you mention, however have a bunch of X series, Platinum and even a G series. None of the fans on these PSU's click so would say your PSU fan is faulty, I would replace it from where it was purchased.

Associate
I have the Seasonic Focus plus and it's completely silent.

However I have had nothing but problems with mine. I suspect it killed 2 CPUs and a hard drive.

Its been one big headache trying to find where the problem was.

Back
Top Bottom