Second hand, cheap, free 4-6 TB nas Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
I just looked and I have absolutely no ******* idea :D how to implement that into OBS :D

Why do you need to implement it into OBS? Just use Handbrake to re-encode if it's only for backup/archiving?

EDIT:
I'd also argue that unless your videos are hugely popular, then 1440P is massively overkill - 720P would no doubt still be fine for your audience, and would cut processing time, storage and backup requirements massively

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
Look into maybe using mega.io as a stopgap. £17 a month or so for 8TB of storage.

Compress your old vids down and then use 7zip to archive them as small as you can and then back them up there. For the cost of a single drive, you'll get the same 8TB for a year or so, but at a more manageable monthly cost.

Caporegime
H265 isn't supported by any popular streaming service or OBS or Streamlabs, from what I can see sadly and I think my Synology hybrid raid is comparable to unraid, it has 8 bays and 2 of them can be the parity or fail over drives, up to 2 drives can die at the same time on the synology and it will be fine plus then you just hot swap out the dead disks with 2 more and those become the safety net.

If you build an unraid server you have potentially 24 bays so to speak 8 on a decent motherboard and then another 8 per pcie card.

So you can pick up a cheap 1TB drive and slot it in for peanuts for additional space when needed.

Let's say you need another 2TB currently you need to buy drive that's 2TB bigger than your current smallest. Transfer over everything then slot it in.

Whereas in my solution you just buy a 2TB drive and slot it in

Associate
OP
Monetise your videos, from what you're saying, they sound very popular so you can raise some cash that way.
Not possible for multiple reasons.

1)same reason I can't do a patreon or another gofundme, any money I earn would be taken away or invalidate my benefits, now yes I would love to be no longer living off the money coming to me from government but there is a reason I am classed as severely disabled and all of this is classed as therapy and ways to cope.

2)Most days I don't know what day it is, remember how to brush my teeth or to have a shower, in fact I class it as a good day if I only have to ask Alexa what day it is 5 times, or to remember that I went upstairs to go toilet, I never edit my videos or even check the sound levels because my brain can't accept that I sound like I do on recordings, people on my channel have to let me know if something is wrong once I actually publish my stuff, for example when I started all this I spend 32 hours saying the words "hello and welcome to the quebber channel I am jason your host" over and over and over without sleep because my brain couldn't grasp that I sounded like that, until I was so exhausted I just did it live one time and people said I sounded fine, I still can't handle listening to my own recorded voice because my brain latches onto it like it is an issue to be fixed.

When I was affiliate of twitch my brain couldn't stop counting subscribers, same with trying a patreon it took over my entire life and focus, and yes I mean waking up every 30 mins during the night and obssessing over every video because more or less people watched it lol omg lol

So nope I can't ever turn this into a business or do anything like that, looking at the camera surviving every day is just that survival it keeps me alive it keeps me going and the moment I leave that stream I turn on an audio book to occupy my mind until I stream again or I can end up catatonic on the floor for 6 hours obsessing over the day my wife died.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

1)same reason I can't do a patreon or another gofundme, any money I earn would be taken away or invalidate my benefits, now yes I would love to be no longer living off the money coming to me from government but there is a reason I am classed as severely disabled and all of this is classed as therapy and ways to cope.
Getting paid for doing something you love vs. claiming benefits for something you love.

You get the therapy aspect whichever way you cut it, except in one scenario you're self sufficient and the other you're claiming benefits.

Perhaps having an income from it would push you to improve things such as the audio levels or the editing etc. Just a thought :)

Associate
OP
Why do you need to implement it into OBS? Just use Handbrake to re-encode if it's only for backup/archiving?

EDIT:
I'd also argue that unless your videos are hugely popular, then 1440P is massively overkill - 720P would no doubt still be fine for your audience, and would cut processing time, storage and backup requirements massively

My gaming videos people seem to enjoy the 1440p, it interests me to do the 1440p stuff as in it is something that occupies my brain the idea of 1440p which is like the other 10+ projects I have in the house to keep my head at least in some level of normality. lol

Getting paid for doing something you love vs. claiming benefits for something you love.

You get the therapy aspect whichever way you cut it, except in one scenario you're self sufficient and the other you're claiming benefits.

Perhaps having an income from it would push you to improve things such as the audio levels or the editing etc. Just a thought :)

but then my brain would say Hey if you fail you can't pay bills so lets not ever sleep again because every night we will be concerned and tear apart every little thing done based on the idea that if things go wrong you could loose everything,

You really don't get it let me put it this way, only 5% of claims for pip Personal independence payment go through first try for mental illness, most have to go to appeal and other things, the DWP actually contacted me and awarded it to me because of what the 5 consultants and one sr psychologist told them I never even had to have a pip interview.

Do you know I have to make sure every night that I stay up till between 2-3am so my brain actually allows me to sleep and I have like 4-10 seconds when I wake in the morning to get out of bed before my wonderful special interesting mind takes me down a dark path that may end up with me not leaving the bed at all that day.

Nope I couldn't add another stress situation on top of all that I already face.

I do understand what you are saying and oooo yes you know this is going to be tomorrows topic on my vlog "why I don't turn this into a self sufficient business/living" thank you :D

Associate
OP
If you build an unraid server you have potentially 24 bays so to speak 8 on a decent motherboard and then another 8 per pcie card.

So you can pick up a cheap 1TB drive and slot it in for peanuts for additional space when needed.

Let's say you need another 2TB currently you need to buy drive that's 2TB bigger than your current smallest. Transfer over everything then slot it in.

Whereas in my solution you just buy a 2TB drive and slot it in

Now that is interesting to me as a future project, sadly I don't have any spare computer parts but I do have multiple 1tb hd's and 2tb hd's around the house.

EDIT:

I am just about to melt my backup pc hehe, it is a 8700k 32gb my old streaming system, Handbrake is about to re-encode 1023 files in a batch queue (all the ones above 2gb in size), i've pulled it out of its enclosure to keep an eye on temps. will take a while to finish scanning before it begins but yes it will be interesting to see how much of a difference this makes.

Caporegime
Now that is interesting to me as a future project, sadly I don't have any spare computer parts but I do have multiple 1tb hd's and 2tb hd's around the house.

I am just about to melt my backup pc hehe, it is a 8700k 32gb my old streaming system, Handbrake is about to re-encode 1023 files in a batch queue (all the ones above 2gb in size), i've pulled it out of its enclosure to keep an eye on temps. will take a while to finish scanning before it begins but yes it will be interesting to see how much of a difference this makes.

All you need is a basic CPU and ram for an unraid server. Sata slots and pcie lanes are more important for this use.

I dare say you could make one for less than £100 if you don't bother buying a case. Power supply, motherboard, CPU and ram is all you need along with a usb pen drive.

You don't need a gpu if it has igpu. If you could live without the Synology for a few days you could sell it and use the money from that to fund the server. Just keep the drives.

Type unraid server into YouTube for more info.

Pet Northerner
Don
All you need is a basic CPU and ram for an unraid server. Sata slots and pcie lanes are more important for this use.

I dare say you could make one for less than £100 if you don't bother buying a case. Power supply, motherboard, CPU and ram is all you need along with a usb pen drive.

You don't need a gpu if it has igpu. If you could live without the Synology for a few days you could sell it and use the money from that to fund the server. Just keep the drives.

don't forget the upfront cost of the license, which peaks at £129 and cannot be split down into monthly payments without PP credit, credit card etc

Associate
OP

The synology is an £800 unit (with no disks) diskstation 1815+ that has run flawless for 4 years with quad lanports, scalability using expansion sets up to 108TB, it pretty much rocks the house can run multiple systems from plex to VM's.

And I didn't know Unraid was a pay product.

Caporegime
don't forget the upfront cost of the license, which peaks at £129 and cannot be split down into monthly payments without PP credit, credit card etc

I forgot I had to pay for the OS. Was a one off fee though rather than subscription which isn't too bad. You can always upgrade from a lower tier too.

Associate
OP
It's a fair fee, just with cost being an issue it all adds up fast :)
Especially seen as I am on only benefits coming in and like £50 per month total to spend on anything, a future project yes, on a side note it seems my backup PC may take just over 62 hours to scan the 1023 files I set to re-encode and that is before I press the start encoding button :)

Soldato
Are you planning to keep these videos indefinitely? You've gotta consider if you're producing 10 videos a week at 6GB a pop, you're looking at 250Gb a month. That's around 3Tb a year that you plan to keep each year in addition to past and future videos.

I think shrinking or even deleting your least viewed, or videos older than 2/3 years would allow you to stretch further.

Unfortunately, unless you've got the money, you can't just keep growing your storage without any form of data expiration.

Associate
OP
Are you planning to keep these videos indefinitely? You've gotta consider if you're producing 10 videos a week at 6GB a pop, you're looking at 250Gb a month. That's around 3Tb a year that you plan to keep each year in addition to past and future videos.

I think shrinking or even deleting your least viewed, or videos older than 2/3 years would allow you to stretch further.

Unfortunately, unless you've got the money, you can't just keep growing your storage without any form of data expiration.

10 videos a week hehe, 10 videos in 2 days lol, no I will never delete a single video even if I have to sell what I have left to sell in the house these videos matter.

Caporegime
I'd say monetise the videos. Open a business account said business only uses the money to break even on expenses. You never pay yourself a wage.

For example if you need to pay the pro rata leccy bill of said business that's okay.

If said business needs more hardware or storage then that is okay.

You can't just pay yourself £500 to do what you want as that is then classed as income.

You can legally get the money from YouTube to pay for everything directly contributing to its costs and it not be classed as income.

Associate
OP
I'd say monetise the videos. Open a business account said business only uses the money to break even on expenses. You never pay yourself a wage.

For example if you need to pay the pro rata leccy bill of said business that's okay.

If said business needs more hardware or storage then that is okay.

You can't just pay yourself £500 to do what you want as that is then classed as income.

You can legally get the money from YouTube to pay for everything directly contributing to its costs and it not be classed as income.

I thank you for your advice Psycho but to put it simply you have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting in this circumstance, let me explain and no offense meant :)

Yes i can accept donations, yes they are all flagged to keep the channel going and pay for expenses but what you are suggesting is for someone categorically classed as unable to work or run a business "starts a business"

And it seems to me Psycho you didn't even read the part about anything like what you are suggesting would pile masses of stress and red flags for my brain on to an already "just managing to not go down really bad paths each day"

Let explain simply what bad paths are and how if I start down one that day is wrecked and I could have major issues, each morning I have 5-10 seconds from the moment I wake to turn on my audible audio book and keep my brain from going down a bad path, bad paths = didnt save wife, pc could die today, storage could run out, I could fall down the stairs and no one would find me for about a week, will the shower break, will the floor in the bathroom give way and I will hit the kitchen floor snapping the bones of my legs and die slowly alone, will my pc catch fire and kill me tonight, what will happen to my dogs if I choke on sick and die in my sleep tonight.....

Now while everyone has thoughts like these now and then if my brain goes down this path no amount of rational thinking or logic or sensible will stop my head from fully going down that path.

And your suggestion is I add in a further level of "omg my latest video didn't get enough likes, omg I said something in my videos that got it demonitized which means I can't pay for an upgrade which means my channel could fail which means I could end up failing at everything.

Let me make something absolutely clear, my own consultants see it as a ******* miracle I am able to functioning daily and use technology to keep me going without being heavily medicated and or in long term hospital stay.

Monetizing my channel, or even setting it up as a business would bring a level of disaster potential because my brain doesn't work on logical or rational.

Caporegime
Fair enough no need to explain.

However I doubt anyone that has 10 times 4TB drives is just going to give them away. Because if they are getting rid it's likely due to an upgrade which will be rather costly so they will want to recoup some of their costs.

4TB drives aren't normally something that is added for the hell of it it's something someone buys on purpose for their specific needs.

It will be far easier to get 1TB or smaller drives for free. Especially 250GB drives, etc.

However they are of no use to you. I can only therefore suggest that you look into a Google business account for cloud storage. It does say there is a limit on the cheapest account but people have been uploading stupid amounts and never triggered anything.

So for £8 a month you have unlimited online cloud storage. That is your best bet plus likley save you electricity costs of running local storage.

Other than that I doubt there is any other solution which works and is cheaper. If there is I'd be interested for when my unraid server needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom