Second hand, cheap, free 4-6 TB nas Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have you spoken to the Dr who is doing the study with you on gaming/tech and mental health? They’ll be saving a fortune on costs of therapy and meds they’d normally have to pay out on your treatment, perhaps there’s some grant money available they could reassign to you.

Associate
OP
You know I may have an issue with converting the files to 265 heheh, 2 hours per recode average 1023 biggest files = leaving my backup PC on for 85 days :D, if that pc didn't die a death doing that and the electricity cost would probably pay for at least one more 4tb drive.

Associate
You know I may have an issue with converting the files to 265 heheh, 2 hours per recode average 1023 biggest files = leaving my backup PC on for 85 days :D, if that pc didn't die a death doing that and the electricity cost would probably pay for at least one more 4tb drive.

Quoting myself from earlier...

... using quite a simple, lightweight encode in Media Encoder gives me a file that's about 4.4gb for a 1hr show. It could certainly go smaller if I wanted to leave it encoding all day and night, but that's fine for me.

That's what I was saying - there are different levels of encode - my iMac (10th Gen i7) can fly through a 1/2 hr file, encoding to h265 in about 6 mins at the settings that I use, or it can absolutely chug for 48hrs, encoding the same 1/2 hr file to h265 but with some slightly tweaked settings.

I'd suggest you pick your shortest video as a tester and try out some different h265 settings. You probably want Content Rate Factor (CRF), so select that intstead of single pass or 2-pass, then choose what CRF you want - the default is 28, so start there and work down until it looks unacceptable, finally choosing the lowest acceptable value. Lastly then choose the preset speed (ultrafast, super fast, very fast, fast, medium...). Try lots of combinations out. As you do this, you're looking for 3 things;
  • how long the run takes
  • How big the resulting file size is
  • How happy you are with the resulting quality
Once you've found the best balance, for you, of those 3 points, THEN queue everything up and let it encode.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quoting myself from earlier...

That's what I was saying - there are different levels of encode - my iMac (10th Gen i7) can fly through a 1/2 hr file, encoding to h265 in about 6 mins at the settings that I use, or it can absolutely chug for 48hrs, encoding the same 1/2 hr file to h265 but with some slightly tweaked settings.

I'd suggest you pick your shortest video as a tester and try out some different h265 settings. You probably want Content Rate Factor (CRF), so select that intstead of single pass or 2-pass, then choose what CRF you want - the default is 28, so start there and work down until it looks unacceptable, finally choosing the lowest acceptable value. Lastly then choose the preset speed (ultrafast, super fast, very fast, fast, medium...). Try lots of combinations out. As you do this, you're looking for 3 things;
  • how long the run takes
  • How big the resulting file size is
  • How happy you are with the resulting quality
Once you've found the best balance, for you, of those 3 points, THEN queue everything up and let it encode.

Then it is a no go, I know the advice is good but my brain just can't do that kind of thing, too easy for me to obsess over something, this is why I never in 2 years edited even one of my videos or streams because if I had done even one then I would obsess over every video and nothing would ever go live again.

Remember when I said that when I first started this I spent 30 hours saying the words "hello and welcome to the quebber channel, I am jason your host" because I couldn't relate the recorded voice I had with the voice I hear myself, well what I actually mean is I spend 32 hours in front of multiple pc's without sleep or break or eating, saying that phrase over and over and over, different mic's even 2 different pc's changing every setting until I basically collapsed 30+ hours later and decided never to touch those settings again or listen to my voice on channel.

Can you imagine if I messed with different visual settings and encoding settings how much i would obsess.

So yes It is a great idea but unless there is a "press this button and it will work" I can't do it.

Associate
OP
Most of these places don't support redownload, Twitch only keeps streams for a week or month, Vimeo has issues with large files.
plus this would mean limiting my time streaming which kind of keeps me going because of uploading videos affecting streaming.

Good idea but already looked into it.

Commissario
You say repeatedly that you never look at your old videos, you stress that over and over again that you have no interest in viewing them so I simply don't understand why you can't just reduce the quality and therefore the file size.

Handbrake has plenty of presets so you don't need to faff about with it. Open a video, select a preset and hit the go button. Don't even look at the output, it's irrelevant because you're never going to watch them anyway.

If ever you want to retrieve a video from YouTube, there are many utilities that will grab the highest resolution possible.

I've seen plenty of decent solutions suggested already but you're putting barriers up to every single one of them.

There have already been posts deleted from this thread. If you want to buy HDDs from other members then you need to post a thread in the Wanted forum.

Associate
OP
You say repeatedly that you never look at your old videos, you stress that over and over again that you have no interest in viewing them so I simply don't understand why you can't just reduce the quality and therefore the file size.

Handbrake has plenty of presets so you don't need to faff about with it. Open a video, select a preset and hit the go button. Don't even look at the output, it's irrelevant because you're never going to watch them anyway.

If ever you want to retrieve a video from YouTube, there are many utilities that will grab the highest resolution possible.

I've seen plenty of decent solutions suggested already but you're putting barriers up to every single one of them.

There have already been posts deleted from this thread. If you want to buy HDDs from other members then you need to post a thread in the Wanted forum.

Hello Feek,
Firstly an apology if the way I post and what I post caused issue, I had no idea that posts were being deleted.

Every post in this thread has been valuable to me, this wasn't a topic trying to scam people out of hard drives or donations, this was me putting my problems out there and looking for solutions, by the very nature of what we have here a discussion some suggestions wouldn't work and I had to explain why, this was never meant to be me trashing anyones idea in fact I was very polite and explained in detail why such suggestions wouldn't work and I always thanked anyone who offered an idea.

Every post has helped and given ideas, none have been perfect but hopefully by the end of this post you will understand how they helped.

So let's deal with this in parts please be patient with me I will be as concise as possible.

Encoding, while the suggestions made were over complicated and my first solution to it (set 1023 of the biggest videos going) was the ultimate "Yay I don't have to think about it for 85 days wooohoo" but completely unrealistic, current plan is Handbrake mkv 1080/30fps which seems to save about 50-60% file size, will do a 10 video test over the next 2 days.

Why I keep them if I never view them, because my journey, my battle against cancer against grief and mental illness and autism inspires people, my use of games and technology, my talks about ADHD and game sessions where we stop half way through to discuss someone's problems and turn it into a discussion on mental well beings, those videos inspire people here is one of many messages left on my videos " You really make me appreciate my life and uplift me when I'm feeling down, thank you for that." this journey and these videos champion technology and gaming in a very important way.

Youtube has and does shutdown channels all the time for little or no reason can lock an account and remove your access for the silliest of rules that seem to change on the fly.

Every minute I am uploading is a minute I can't be streaming because unlike steam and suchlike, youtube when you upload videos and other platforms doesn't have a built in bandwidth limiter, thus any time I upload is time taken away from streaming and depending on whether it is a good or bad day that can be 6-12 hours a day that I need to be streaming.

But talking here got me thinking, now the Synology is in a better shape, I have a backup internet (you know streaming and such like being my lifesupport) didn't decide to go with the suggestions here because most of them are removing there base budget options, so instead I signed up for Amazon Glacier I will hook my backup (5g on the three network, hub) to my synology which has a glacier client and slowly using its upstream backup everything to the amazon cloud, I am still calculating the costs but I believe 10-20TB costs less than £20 per month).

Now as for Unraid, not practical in the next few months but, I have a pc case, a Gigabyte Z370P D3 motherboard, 5 1TB 2.5" laptop drives, 1 1TB 3.5" and 2 2TB 3.5 and 1 soon to be free 8TB western digital drive, It will take months to budget for a couple of sticks of ram a cpu and start sorting out sata cards. but as I said a future project.

I am also going to try and fun as an backup backup one of the Seagate 16TB 3 year emergency recovery external usb 3 drives, my idea is grab 16tb of videos, drop them on the drive disconnect it and keep it next door.

Do you see how valuable all of the discussions in this thread were and how grateful I am, this is still ongoing as a discussion, I am honestly thankful to you all and sorry if I caused any hassle.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

so instead I signed up for Amazon Glacier I will hook my backup (5g on the three network, hub) to my synology which has a glacier client and slowly using its upstream backup everything to the amazon cloud, I am still calculating the costs but I believe 10-20TB costs less than £20 per month).
Just to add to this... if you have a Synology (as do I) then you really ought to look at their Backblaze B2 integration.

I pay around £8 a month and have several terbytes of music, photos and work on the cloud.

Dump your backup internet connection, sell all those small drives and put the cost aside for some larger drives for extra storage and this time next year you’ll have enough for a few drives.

Associate
OP
Just to add to this... if you have a Synology (as do I) then you really ought to look at their Backblaze B2 integration.

I pay around £8 a month and have several terbytes of music, photos and work on the cloud.

Dump your backup internet connection, sell all those small drives and put the cost aside for some larger drives for extra storage and this time next year you’ll have enough for a few drives.

I looked at that the Backblaze B2 but after calculating the cost (maybe I am looking at the wrong part of the site) it came to £60 a month to store 15tb of files. Not saying this is a bad idea but am I looking at the costs wrong? (I thought the B2 integration was only for business accounts) please let me know on this it would help a lot.

Can't dump my second connection otherwise I will never sleep again lol part of my "issues" is the What if, as my therapy streaming and gaming with streaming is my lifeline it literally keeps me going each day, can you imagine the fun a mind like mine would have with the "what if your internet goes down" yes I know logically my internet is stable with 99.998% uptime but my brain would still use it as a way to grab hold of my thoughts, this is why I have a backup PC for streaming, backup cameras for vlogging, backup powersupply (I built a small solar system in the back yard in a pinch it can power my pc for an hour of uptime) I know the power to this house has only gone out once in 4 years but having all these backups helps me sleep at night which helps me survive. Not putting a barrier up, not saying your advice isn't good just explaining why getting rid of my backup internet would be like handing a box of primed grenades to my ADHD/Bi-polar side and it has way too much ammo atm already.

Is there no way we can get this thread unlocked especially now I did a better job of explaining why it is a really good thing and helping me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom