1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Hard Drive Questions

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by dr4g0nf1y, 12 Sep 2009.

1. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

I've always gone with a drive the size that I've expected of needing and now I want an independant drive for windows 7 and a second drive for storage.

Now I don't know how this would work as I've never personally had more than one drive.

Can I install steam on the second drive from the os and run it of my desktop with a shortcut to the location of the second drive and will I lose any perforance/speed from having windows running something like that from the second?

2. AbsenceJam

Mobster

You can install and run stuff from wherever you please and the more you spread the 'load' across disks the better performance will be as drives can only do one thing at a time.

3. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

Okay cool, saying that then I may go for the SSD for the OS, Velicoraptor for games then my existing Barracuda for music and videos and stuff.

Saying that, when using I tunes I can't install the program somewhere and play the files off that can I? I have to have the files inside the itunes directory, correct?

4. timaloy

Gangster

i run 2 drives makes life easier when theres anty problems think il start using raid

5. leexgx

Gangster

the SSD should be used for OS, programs and games, use the spare disk for storing any big files or any files for that matter that you have (as i see from your sig the Black HDD you have now is fast any way i use that as the second disk as the raptor just add a lot of noise and maybe little bit faster load times probably not noticeable )