1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary HDD Problems

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by PaulM, 13 Apr 2010.

1. PaulM

Gangster

Hi All,

I've had a Samsung 500GB HD502IJ in an external enclosure for a few years and it has been working great, today I purchased a bigger drive for the enclosure so I decided to put the Samsung 500GB into my main computer as a secondary internal drive... and then the problems begin :p.

It accesses the drive really slow, chkdsk doesn't seem to work it just hangs at 0% for ages. The Samsung HDD tool (boot disk) says the drive is fine, and if I put it back into the external enclosure it works fine again.

Also when it's connected internally event viewer shows "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1." anyone got any ideas of what can be wrong? Is the drive dying?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: chkdsk runs fine too with no errors when it's in the external enclosure :confused:

Edit again: I tried a different cable (I'd already tried 3 other ones) and now it seems to work, maybe I had a bad batch of 3 SATA cables

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010