Secure wipe 2.5" SSD via USB Dock

Soldato
Hi,

I have a Samsung 860 Evo I would like to sell but it still has data on it. I would like to securely wipe it before I sell it but I do not have a personal desktop anymore.

I do have access to my work laptop but it would need to be Windows based Software so the wiping process cant run during a restart for example it would need to run in Windows.

Will Samsung Magician detect and wipe via USB has anyone tried this or has anyone had any success with any software that will wipe an SSD connected by USB in Windows please?

Thanks

Permabanned
Watch that is not fully format the SSD as that will be chunk of its life gone unlike a secure erase that uses a electrical charge to wipe it

Before Mobo Bioses did so most used PartedMagic (was free then), not sure if it does USB.

Soldato
OP
Just as a general note you can't secure erase drives via the standard command using a non-native connection. Needs to be connected via SATA.

Should help speed your XBox up a bit! :D

It's a Series X so it's slower than the internal SSD but will be good for storing non Series X optimised games, it's also good to not have to wipe it or throwing it away when I can make use of it for the sake of a £9 caddy :)

Associate
Watch that is not fully format the SSD as that will be chunk of its life gone unlike a secure erase that uses a electrical charge to wipe it

Before Mobo Bioses did so most used PartedMagic (was free then), not sure if it does USB.
Never heard of a drive accepting an electrical charge to wipe it? Got any links/info for that, I'm interested :)

File Shredder uses one of five algorithms to erase the data. Simple one pass, simple two pass, DOD 5220.22-M, a 'seven passes algorithm' and the Peter Gutmann 35 passes. Guttman is the absolute Daddy of them, which uses random values for the first & last 4 passes - and then from pass 5 to pass 31, it uses a pattern. Guaranteed to reduce the life of an SSD somewhat, but equally one of the best algorithms for erasing your data.

Personally I just use DOD 5220.22-M - writes a zero, then reads it, writes a one, then reads it, then writes a random value and reads it.

@Relentless81 - pleased to hear you've found a solution!

Soldato
OP
@TangoEchoAlpha yeah it's less hassle and it's good to make a new use for it, the alternative was to get the official expansion drive but at £200 this option makes more sense

I ordered a sabrent dock and it arrived today but not had time to try it out, I've been told as long as it's NTFS the Xbox will recognise and format it but we'll see

Back
Top Bottom