Securing new wireless connection

Soldato
OP
So, you'd like to think that this would be easy to do, but even under direction I've managed to screw it up :rolleyes: .

I logged into the wireless AP config, but there was no option for security settings. Ontop of this, the laptop user tells me it keeps picking up and losing the connection to the network now since I tried setting a password (see previous posts). I checked the settings and nothing had changed, still showing as an Open connection with no encryption.

There was a reset button in with wireless AP config so I hit that thinking it would return things to how they were before I started fiddling, but of course that wasn't the case. The laptop now picks up the AP, but with a different network name (Linksys_ses_58555) and says it's security enabled now with WPA, although I never changed any settings or entered a password for it to use etc. The Network Authentication settings on the laptop still show it as Open, not WPA, and it won't connect to the internet.

I can't seem to find a way to roll back any changes, to remove whatever settings are in place or to make it work more importantly.

In short: bugger.

Soldato
OP
This is just irritating me now.

I've run the setup disk that came with the AP from one of the wired machines on the network to see if it would get the laptop back online. It seemed to go through ok, I selected WEP and it asked me for a password to use to authenticate.

Having finished all that, the laptop found the AP but still won't connect to the internet. Under wireless networks, it shows the connection, but even having clicked connect, nothing happens. The connect button then changes to disconnet, but the status still shows not connected.

I give up, seriously. How can it be this much hassle to sort out? Is there a way I can reset everything to the day we bought the damn thing and start over? At least when it was first plugged in the laptop picked it up straight away and was able to get on the internet, now it won't do anything.

EDIT:

I ended up resetting the router to the original factory settings and with a bit of fiddling got it back to how it was originally. The connection is open but at least it works now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom