Seeking information on how to enable virtualization for VMWare virtual desktop

Associate
Hi, I don't know if anyone can help but I have a Hoplite - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Gaming PC from Overclockers:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-hoplite-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-gaming-pc-fs-1dh-og.html

Basically I'm wanting to install VMWare Player running a version of Windows XP, but attempting to run the virtual desktop results in the following error:

"VMware error while powering on this host supports AMD V but AMD V is disabled"

I've looked into this and apparently the problem is that I have to enable virtualization in my bios settings, and also possibly mess around with a Windows feature called Hyper V. I have no idea what Hyper V is, or if it's safe to change the settings on it.

I've gone into my bios settings in an attempt to find virtualisation settings, but I can't see any reference to it, so I don't know if it's even possible?

I'd be grateful for any insight anyone may have. Please bear in mind that I'm not massively 'techy', or hugely knowledgeable about these matters, so would appreciate very simplistic 'Micky Mouse' explanations. Frankly messing around in bios scares the bejesus out of me in case I screw up my PC.

Thank you.

Soldato
Hi, I don't know if anyone can help but I have a Hoplite - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Gaming PC from Overclockers:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-hoplite-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-gaming-pc-fs-1dh-og.html

Basically I'm wanting to install VMWare Player running a version of Windows XP, but attempting to run the virtual desktop results in the following error:

"VMware error while powering on this host supports AMD V but AMD V is disabled"

I've gone into my bios settings in an attempt to find virtualisation settings, but I can't see any reference to it, so I don't know if it's even possible?

Did you get a motherboard manual? The listing simply says "Gigabyte B450" on the OC website, which covers quite a lot of motherboards. I would have a look carefully at the motherboard, as usually there is a model number screen-printed on it somewhere. Then go to the Gigabyte website and download the manual for your motherboard, and look in the BIOS section for where the Hyper-V settings are. Then turn that feature on in the BIOS, save the settings, and that should work.

Associate
OP
Resolved! Thank you so much for the super-speedy help.
I've enabled SVM Mode in Bios, and also figured out how to enable Hyper V in Windows Settings, and now VMWare works like a dream. Really fast too on my Ryzen 7 machine. I remember it being a real resource hog on my old machine.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure you didn't need to enable Hyper-V.

Hyper-V is Microsoft's hypervisor. VMWare will be using its own hypervisor. If you'd tried to run a VM on Hyper-V at the same time as you're using VMWare it wouldn't work.

Associate
OP
Presumably keeping it on won't cause me any problems? I'm reluctant to muck around any more now that I know it's all working.

I'd never heard of Hyper-V until earlier today, and so my knowledge of it is extremely limited.

Soldato
As long as you don't try to launch a VM using it at the same time as you're using VMWare you'll be fine. The worst you'd get is an error message.

There are many different hypervisors on various platforms. I use VirtualBox for my desktop VMs.

Back
Top Bottom