Seeking low cost Quad Core laptop, capable of taking 32GB RAM

Associate
Hi,

Need some advice on a laptop. I need a quad core laptop capable of taking 32gb Ram. Initially 16gb will suffice, but I plan to run several VMs and at some point I may need to add more RAM.

I’m aware 16GB RAM modules are super expensive!... so right now I can only afford a laptop that is capable of taking 32g not one that come’s with 32gb ram. I will have to save up for the additional RAM. Also I already have a 500GB SSD (in my current laptop) that I can re-use.

Oh my budget is £400-£500(max)… I know that’s not much but I would be looking for a used one on eBay.

One last requirement, being a student, I need one that’s quite portable (ie 14” screensize or less) . It will be used for my studies so not bothered if it’s not a gaming laptop.

So in summary, I need suggestions of affordable quad core laptops, CPU 2.4GHz or above, capable of taking 32gb Ram, and that the screen size is 14” or below (ideally 12” or 13”)… what I will do then is keep an eye out on eBay for any used ones :)

Thanks.

Caporegime
I use my Lenovo W510 for exactly the same things as you. The beauty is 4 DDR3 slots, so cheaper way into 32GB using 8GB SODIMMs. Yeah sure its a 1st gen i7, but it's more than enough for a VM lab.

It is a 15" though.

Outside of that, perhaps a Lenoxo X240 or X250 would do the trick, but as you say, expensive to get 32GB into them. But far more portable.

Associate
OP
Lenovo W510 or W520 seem a possibility (even if 15")... but Lenovo X240 is 8GB max & Lenovo X250 is 16GB max, plus crucial website says both only have one slot?

The 32GB is more important than the size, so I'll take 15"... any suggestions of other branded (ie non-Lenovo) 32GB capable laptops?

Associate
OP
Looks like in the 15.6" screensize I have a lot more options... eg Dell M4600 or HP Elitebook 8570W... which seem to be comparable to the Lenovo W530... anyone have any thoughts on which is better in these older models?

Back
Top Bottom