Sega Dreamcast

Soldato
Many sort of considered the original Xbox to be a "Dreamcast 2" in a way. Microsoft had a good thing going with sega what with the operating system etc. Loads of exclusive Sega titles and dreamcast ports came to the OG Xbox too.

Associate
Still have my day one Japanese Dreamcast which I had imported and cost silly money at the time. It came with PenPen Tri-icelon and Virtua Fighter 3tb. I received it on Nov 29th 1998 and took it to my local gamestore to show it to a friend who had a big NTSC compatible tv.
We showed it off to some of his customers and took 15 pre-orders in a couple of hours. Most people who saw it were more impressed with the visuals of PenPen than Virtua Fighter 3 though lol.
I also imported Soul Calibur and Sega Rally not long after which were just amazing at the time.
Spent a lot of time on Code Veronica,Virtua Tennis and the Powerstone games.

Soldato
Why did you order in a NTSCJ unit and not wait for a PAL release? I just think, especially at that time, it must have been a killer trying to get hold of games.

Soldato
I might have asked this before but has anyone replaced their DC fan with a new, quiet one? I've seen some 3D printed kits online for about £10 and I'm very tempted!

I did mine a long time ago. The new fan is a lot quieter as my original fan was on the way out. It's also slightly bigger, hence the need for the mount (the noctua fan goes in at an angle).

Seriously tempted to get my DC out and continue the modding, but I know it'll be £hundreds :p

Associate
Why did you order in a NTSCJ unit and not wait for a PAL release? I just think, especially at that time, it must have been a killer trying to get hold of games.
Because I'm a video game addict and didn't want to wait. I did the same with the N64 paying over £600 with Pilotwings day one.
Sounds daft now I know but there were a lot of NTSCj games which weren't that difficult to get around the menu's.

Soldato
I did mine a long time ago. The new fan is a lot quieter as my original fan was on the way out. It's also slightly bigger, hence the need for the mount (the noctua fan goes in at an angle).

Seriously tempted to get my DC out and continue the modding, but I know it'll be £hundreds :p

Does it fit in the the case just fine? The stock fan is tiny...

Meanwhile I've been playing Headhunter. Fantastic looking game, Probably the best I've come across so far. You can really tell its made for the Dreamcast and not a PS1 port.

XpDTd5Ch.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone got/played the Res Evil games? I only have very vague memories, but I remember all my mates and I huddled around the TV after RE2's release, with the lights off taking turn about. I think we were quite creeped out at certain bits. One of the girls totally screamed when we got to the spiders and refused to hold the controller :D

Anyway, I remember it being good fun so I've bought RE2 and Code Veronica (which I haven't played). Some reviews suggest the DC version being one of the best. I'm going to invite one of my mates over (who was there back in the day) and see how far we can get through RE2 with the lights off.

Soldato
Good to know, I do get slightly worried my memories are all rose-tinted. I know graphics etc. have moved on in 19 years, but so far everything I've played on the DC has been worth it for the gameplay at least.

Soldato
That's all retro gaming is :).
A CRT TV is a must though.

In an ideal world I'd have a large dedicated CRT for retro gaming, atm I'm settling with running the DC through a Dreamcast Packapunch RGB to scart cable connected to an OSSC. Outputs 480p via HDMI to my Panasonic LCD. With the 60hz option (if supported) the DC looks great and the scaling works well with no lag. This is how I run my other retro machines too.

I simply can't justify the space needed for a big CRT. Shame because I gave away a 37" flatscreen Toshiba to a mate years ago when they were worth nothing. That would have been perfect.

Soldato
I've got my Dreamcast to work over HDMI just with adapters. I'm not sure if the the actual mod upscale the output to 1080p but if it doesn't then my £7 Vga to HDMI adapter and 50p vga female to female seems pretty good image quality wise and worth considering. I mainly got it to try capturing over VGA.

Associate
I modded my Dreamcast yesterday with the DCHDMI kit, installation is similar to the N64 UltraHDMI, just a bit more fiddly (the ribbon cable had more points to solder and may have been smaller pitch). Cutting the hole was more annoying too.

It works fine though and the picture quality is great, I also got an optical drive replacement a while back as my drive was dying but have hardly used it, need to play around with that too. I used to love "Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future" back in the day but never finished it, so that'll be first. :)

9Hi6WcF.jpg

h9Uv7pI.jpg

K1xa4nb.jpg

I haven't done the fan mod yet, may do that sometime along with a new battery and maybe some LEDs behind the controller ports that a few people have done. There's quite a lot of mods available.

I probably only played a handful of DC games back when the system was current, I was just starting to get in to PC gaming around that time. Hopefully I'll play this one more considering how much I've spent on it... :D

Back
Top Bottom