Self defence?

Associate
Im 22 years of age and touch wood haunt really been in a fight since leaving school:)ive either just walked away and ignored the situation because im scared of confrontation and the outcome, black and blue lol or just know the person who is causing the prob is a nupty and its now worth it ruining the night out, just wondering if anyone has box advice about this situation and its more building up my confidents really to be able to stand up, obv also the news about mp3 and mobile muggings is worrying and living near croydon isnt great. Any advice appreciated! Judo or kick boxing look cool.

Soldato
Guns? No training needed.... :D

Seriously, i would advice you do some sort of martial arts where you can quickly learn and use them iirc their is a style used by the Isreali army that's based on the way we respond to threat naturally or something like that....Someone who knows better gonna point it out.

As for your mp3, you can keep it out of sight and use you moblie phone only when needed and not onthe street....

Soldato
The best advice i can give you is to not let it come to a situation like that. E.g, when you leave a pub etc, and your walking and see some people, you migght get a "dodgey" feeling inside you. If this happens get away, just go back to the pub and order a taxi or something.

--- Trust your instinct

Associate
as said above, don't flash the phone/mp3 around in sight of people, make sure it's in inside pockets etc

as for self defence, main things to remember, so long as you don't hit them on the floor, or if their running away, pretty much anything is legal if you believe you, your property or another person is in danger,

If you just want to be able to take a knock and fight back, i'd say kickboxing, it's simple, brutal and effective, and the biggest thing with a self defence situation is the shock of "i just got hit" forget fancy spin kicks, the objective is to floor the opponent and get outta there quickly, at end of day, they ain't about to report you to police if they tried mugging you.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Seriously, i would advice you do some sort of martial arts where you can quickly learn and use them iirc their is a style used by the Isreali army that's based on the way we respond to threat naturally or something like that....Someone who knows better gonna point it out.

Krav Maga.

There is a list of trainers on here, including South London:

http://www.kravmagascotland.co.uk/History-of-Krav-Maga.aspx

Soldato
Learn to run away fast.

Muggings usually happen in groups, and lord knows how many years of training you have to do before you can even confidently take on one person. Remember, scallies have been fighting with each other all their life so they tend to be pretty good at it. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Good guide here...

Also searching for 'ba da bang' on youtube will present you with a good guide by Bas Rutten :D

I take no responsibility for any injuries inflicted upon yourself or others when trying any of the above techniques - nor can I guarantee any level of success using them

Man of Honour
Training in a martial art is good advice but do not think you are going to turn into some sort of indestructable fighting machine, because you won't. What it will do is give you some self confidence and some limited abilities if you cannot talk your way out of things. Your current approach of not getting involved is by far your best strategy.

Soldato
OCdt Stringy said:
Good guide here...

Also searching for 'ba da bang' on youtube will present you with a good guide by Bas Rutten :D

I take no responsibility for any injuries inflicted upon yourself or others when trying any of the above techniques - nor can I guarantee any level of success using them

CQC/Trench fighting?

Associate
boxing is good, but kickboxing lets you put power and range into the fight too, and legs are most powerful parts of body lol,

also teaches effective use of knees and elbows, ie, grappling range,

Soldato
I have a Goalkeeper CIWS attached to my backpack. If it can stop a missile trravelling at mach 2 in 5.5 seconds it can stop someone stealing my phone.

Seriously though, as said already, run. Staying to fight is the most stupid thing you can do, no matter how good you think you are. As Andr3w says, if your instinct (or Spidey sense) is ringing alarm bells, obey it. Get somewhere light and full of people.

Soldato
AJUK said:
LOL @ dishing out a jolly good thrashing to jerry and be back in time for ginger biscuits and lemonade. What ho! :D

Its obivously somthing every 'quiet big and able to handlethemselves' skinny ocuk member could accomplish to vanquish the scallies. ;)

Seriously just leg it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kickboxing would be better for you then Judo, in a muugging situation the most important thing is to floor the guy quickly and effectively and then leg it. And you'll be able to knock the guy down effortlessly with a good punch or knee.

I wouldn't hang about if there were more then three though, if there's less then three, smack the biggest and run imo.

Soldato
I've been doing jujitsu for a few weeks now, and although i can see that it could be quite helpful, I can also see it's going to be quite a while before i'd be able to put it into any practical use.

Even you're more than likely to get hit in a tense situation.

Associate
OCdt Stringy said:
Good guide here...

thats a good guide but a bit dangerous if the wrong people read it

Back
Top Bottom