Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
eeesh this or an x7.... decisions. i think this would suit my use better, but the x7 would be handy to replace my amp for the speakers too though...

Man of Honour
Depends what you want - I believe the sound quality is better on the X7 so if you are listening to a lot of music as well as gaming it would be the better option - but if you are wanting a top notch surround experience with headphones then the GSX would be the one.

Associate
mostly gaming with headphones - but i'm not playing strictly first person games so i don't actually know if the GSX is the better option? I'm playing mostly MMORPG's in a third person 'above looking down' perspective so i'm wondering if the enhanced surround from the GSX is just simply not going to work or be completely wrong if i'm panning round a lot :( honestly though i've not actually noticed surround in my games yet, just in the surround software tests...

I was using PC-> USB SB 5.1 -> mixamp -> PC360's but the sound blaster has just gone a bit funny - after an hour or two of being on it just starts flashing and clicking. The onboard does not support dolby live so i'm back down to stereo sound unless i want to run the risk of loosing sound in the middle of gaming. Sound card does need to be USB as I have a mini itx.

I really like the idea of replacing both boxes with the GSX - I like the channel separation of the mixamp, and the GSX has similar. But the x7 will also drive my desk speakers meaning I can relocate a hifi amp to the loft...

Associate
1200 can lan link to other 1200's so you don't get voice comms lag. good for a lan party basically or maybe if you & partner play in the same room and both have one.

Associate
Very close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

I've got a feeling I already know that the answer is going to be no for this but is there any way to split the output from the gsx 1000 to output to both speakers and headset at the same time?

Failing that is there any way to output to a gsx 1000 and another audio device via 3.5mm from the tower at the same time without compromising quality or introducing a delay?

Last edited:
Soldato
After posting this, I was told about the GSX by Rids, so found this thread after a search. Have a few Qs if you don't mind.

To all the GSX owners, still happy?

What games other than Battlefield and Overwatch have you played with this, and how does it perform?

Anyone had success double-amping?

What headphones are you using?

I'm guessing the GSX would struggle with Q701s as it does with other AKG models?

Soldato
The Q701 are rather hard to drive properly, even though they have a relatively low input impedance (62 ohms). The problem is they are not very efficient and require far more current than the GSX can provide. Sure, they will make a noise and it may get fairly loud but it will sound weedy and thin as they need a lot of current to get the drivers moving optimally.

Unsurprisingly, the GSX will probably work best with something from the Sennheiser HD5xx range.
The main reason I haven't got one of these myself is because it can't run my Sennheiser HD650s properly, which I see as a major oversight on the part of Sennheiser.

Man of Honour
IMO GSX works best with headphones that have almost artificial separation and fast drivers - which the 600 series is neither.

Soldato
Yes but I already have them and the only headphones I own that fall into that category are the K702s and those are too inefficient to work with the GSX. :D

I guess I could use any of my IEMs with it, the Brainwavz B100 and Fidue A73 would be pretty spectacular.

Man of Honour
Someone tried this by adding an amp to drive K712 I believe, which just mucked up the sound.

It is only 1 VRMS or something on the output so should be able to stick an amp on it maybe with a little configuration of the output and input volume levels i.e. something like the O2 if not configured right (i.e. too high gain and not enough voltage) you might overload the input stage on the amp. Though depending on the amp design some might mess with the fidelity of the surround reproduction a bit.

Still trying to source one through work at the moment - in theory should be able to get a nice discount but people dragging their heels.

Soldato
An update, had mine for a few months now, running with some HD599s, still happy as ever, BF1 still very good and Battlegrounds is insane, you can pin point gun fire to a specific house on the horizon and as for footsteps, you can near enough shoot people coming into your house with your eye's closed.

Last edited:
Associate
After posting this, I was told about the GSX by Rids, so found this thread after a search. Have a few Qs if you don't mind.

To all the GSX owners, still happy?

Yes, very happy with it

What games other than Battlefield and Overwatch have you played with this, and how does it perform?

Witcher 3 and playerunknown battlegrounds. Performs top notch in both

Anyone had success double-amping?

What headphones are you using?

HD598's

I'm guessing the GSX would struggle with Q701s as it does with other AKG models?

Man of Honour
These on sale at the moment - 1200 is actually cheaper than the 1000 lol though I think stock of the 1200 has gone.

Back
Top Bottom