Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Caporegime
Just use a 6.35mm adapter. An adapter won't add any extra resistance to the cable from all the ohms measurements I did back in the Fidelio X1 cable-gate days.

But its just adding an unnecessary connection on top, a pure 6.35mm cable is all I need. Ahh well, I'll do a hunt and if I can't find it I'll check your option. Cheers chap.

Soldato
The receiver to my sofa is around 3.5m, so I'd need a 4m length to be able to be able to sit semi-comfortably with it on. 5m would be ideal. :)

Oh, Yeah mine only just reach to be fair. I do most of my listening at my desk so i just put up with it but if i did more listening in the living room i might consider a headphone amp next to the sofa or something. Probably more hassle than it's worth though :p

Caporegime
Oh, Yeah mine only just reach to be fair. I do most of my listening at my desk so i just put up with it but if i did more listening in the living room i might consider a headphone amp next to the sofa or something. Probably more hassle than it's worth though :p

The Oppo HA2 and iphone or android frees you from your desk :)

Caporegime

Ok, found a decently rated one here. Should do the job. :) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UANW4SI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to do more reading on headphone amps to see if it would be worth it as I've never looked at them before so need to do some swotting up. :)

Soldato
Soldato
The Oppo HA2 and iphone or android frees you from your desk :)

Not really tbh. No good when im gaming and if I already have a perfectly good amp on my desk i dont need to using a portable amp and my phone to listen listen to the same sources. No good if im watching something on the tv either.

Portable amps are for people who want to do seriously listening on the move. That's not me.

Caporegime
Not really tbh. No good when im gaming and if I already have a perfectly good amp on my desk i dont need to using a portable amp and my phone to listen listen to the same sources. No good if im watching something on the tv either.

Portable amps are for people who want to do seriously listening on the move. That's not me.

I use the oppo for everything including gaming...I just plug it into my PC.

When I move to the lounge I take my phone an oppo with me.

I take it to work

Best audio purchase for a long time

Associate
OP
I use the Mojo which is tiny and it's a treat just taking it wherever. Makes me wonder why I've even got a tube amp as I'm listening more in other rooms these days, might sling it up for sale if I continue not to use it.

Soldato
Well sadly im putting my hd 650 up for sale, i just find myself only listening to the nighthawks now so i have no reason to keep them when they can pay for a download fest ticket.

Associate
OP
My wife gets ****ed off with seeing me with different headphones LOL I bought some Lime Green Q701's last year and she walked in the room saying "What the HELL are those" then moaned.

Luckily with the 650 she's seen me with them many times so doesn't noticed they've gone haha. She hasn't noticed my LCD-2's have gone yet so I might buy some for gaming haha.

She also knows there's always some AKG variant on my desk so I can get away with those as long as they are not a funky colour to draw attention.

She didn't say much about my Beats Solo2 apart from why do you have Beats? LOL Man Latinas are scary.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife gets ****ed off with seeing me with different headphones LOL I bought some Lime Green Q701's last year and she walked in the room saying "What the HELL are those" then moaned.

Luckily with the 650 she's seen me with them many times so doesn't noticed they've gone haha. She hasn't noticed my LCD-2's have gone yet so I might buy some for gaming haha.

She also knows there's always some AKG variant on my desk so I can get away with those as long as they are not a funky colour to draw attention.

She didn't say much about my Beats Solo2 apart from why do you have Beats? LOL Man Latinas are scary.

How are you ever going to get a new pc past her :D

Associate
OP
She knows about the PC I don't think she minds about gaming stuff too much. Saying that I sold my Black PS4 last year to buy the Red Metal Gear PS4 and she said "WHAT IS THAT" I think if I stick to dark coloured electronics I'll be ok.

Soldato
I'm still hooked on these Sony MDR-100AAPs, the bass is gorgeous and the rest ain't bad either after the upper mids settle down after a few hours - However, my HD650s are going nowhere and never will as I know I'll always come back to them. :)

Soldato
Just comparing the 650 and nighthawks with some lovely 4k ultrad hd sounds. :D

The extra impact from the nighthawks semi closed back design really shines over the 650 in this kind of music.

Soldato
Just comparing the 650 and nighthawks with some lovely 4k ultrad hd sounds. :D

The extra impact from the nighthawks semi closed back design really shines over the 650 in this kind of music.

would love to compare the pair.

From an uninformed point of view, the 650's are great :)

they give so much

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm still hooked on these Sony MDR-100AAPs, the bass is gorgeous and the rest ain't bad either after the upper mids settle down after a few hours - However, my HD650s are going nowhere and never will as I know I'll always come back to them. :)

The Sony MDRs (certain models) are vastly under-rated in general outside of a small number of people who are mostly in the audio production business.

Bass wise though I've no complaints with my HD600s when paired up with certain op amp configurations like the AD8066/LM4562 setup I was playing with.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is anyone else starting to prefer their HD650 over their gaming phones? I don't know why but I feel the 650's better micro detail is really benefiting from the X7's more open presentation.

The K702's staging is wonderful though but would it be safe to assume the 650 has a more accurate staging? I feel like I'm more involved in the game than the AKG's but at the same time there's a sense of scale with the 702 that I don't get with the AKG's. Sometimes I feel with the 702 that there's a hole in the middle, think being in the middle of a field, you have the sounds going on around you but there's a ring of nothingness then the sounds are on the outside of that, does that even make sense? Never noticed it that much until today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom