Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Man of Honour
Actually they're fine off a phone. Although not all phones have a decent built in audio chip. My Z3 powers the 650 to higher volume levels than the K7XX. Sound is good too with no distortion at max volume. My phone uses a qualcomm/cirrus chip iirc, a Samsung with the wolfson chip would get better results yet.

Soldato
I have the z5, it's just for late night in bed so I don't disturb the little one but need open back so I can hear if she wakes.

I was under the impression the 650s were easier to drive than the akg

Associate
Just trying these 650's on while on my lunchbreak and I cannot believe how incredibly comfortable they are. People said the X2's are comfortable but these are unbelievable. Feels like a feather on my head.

They also seem to be playing pretty decently from my Galaxy S6 which is interesting.

Man of Honour
I have the z5, it's just for late night in bed so I don't disturb the little one but need open back so I can hear if she wakes.

I was under the impression the 650s were easier to drive than the akg

They certainly are. At the same volume (no matter what source), the AKG are quieter. On my amp the dial at -5dB was what made the K7XX properly loud. The HD650 requires -10 for the same loudness. The volume scale on my amp ranges from +10dB to -90dB.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I think it's a good sign that I didn't want to take the 650's off my head and stop sampling different tracks. And that's just playing off my phone.

Really need a good comparison with the X2's, I'm interested in seeing how I find the difference in bass. But the very initial impressions are that the 650's are FAR comfier and with incredible sound. It might be that my X2's could be going up on eBay already despite me not long having them.

Soldato
[Serious question]

I don't use a smartphone, my mobile audio comes via my FiiO X1 DAP, so when I said no it was just from what most people say on hype-fi. If the HD 650 can indeed be driven easily from a smartphone and I am not disputing this, as they sound great from my X1 - why is there such a thriving market for mobile amps for use with smartphones?

On hype-fi I see tons of glowing reviews for mobile amps and oddly, most of them seem to be used with IEMs, which don't really need amping anyway. So is it yet another case of sheep being led on by hype-fi or is there really a benefit to using an amp between a mobile device and headphones / earphones / IEMs?

Man of Honour
I'm going to hedge a bet and say it's all because of hype!

Although, the volume level some people listen to music at is unreal. One guy at work I can hear his IEMs from across the office. Another girl on the ferry home one day I could hear over the damn ferry engine :eek:

Associate
[Serious question]

I don't use a smartphone, my mobile audio comes via my FiiO X1 DAP, so when I said no it was just from what most people say on hype-fi. If the HD 650 can indeed be driven easily from a smartphone and I am not disputing this, as they sound great from my X1 - why is there such a thriving market for mobile amps for use with smartphones?

On hype-fi I see tons of glowing reviews for mobile amps and oddly, most of them seem to be used with IEMs, which don't really need amping anyway. So is it yet another case of sheep being led on by hype-fi or is there really a benefit to using an amp between a mobile device and headphones / earphones / IEMs?

I'd say my S6 drove the 650's well enough in that the volume was more than suitable and it sounded good. But I can't compare it to a proper DAC/amp at home and I'm pretty sure the 650's will go to a whole new level when I get them home.

So I think it's a case of headphones being driven fine from phones, but the amp just gives them the kicking as you would if you were running them from a PC and want to boost the quality.

Associate
OP
For most mobiles I would say no. There's a select few that have decent DAC's but most I've tried have been terrible. The DAC in the iphone 6-6s isn't too bad it just doesn't have enough juice so an amp will benefit but it's not like it compares to to the Fiio Daps like X1 etc.

Most portable amps for phones I think are a waste of money for high end listening. Sadly it seems like Chord is the only one that's made a devices that act as a DAC for phones.

Soldato
The output on the z5 isn't the best and still isn't loud enough when I plug it into the car stereo either. The akg 712 are a waste of time on my phone so I use the 515's but the foam has disintergrated so they ain't comy

Back
Top Bottom