Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Soldato
£65 is a great price. £25 cheaper than the HD559, which is the lowest of the 5*9 range.

Anyway, to the question in hand: probably M50X, depending on his age. They will undoubtedly have stronger bass than the HD579. Current price of the HD579's makes them half the cost of the M50X's though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup that's the reason I picked that option. Seems ideal. And the memory foam won't go soft over time. Should feel like the K7XX/X1/X2. Should become my end game headphone finally :cool:

Associate
£65 is a great price. £25 cheaper than the HD559, which is the lowest of the 5*9 range.

Anyway, to the question in hand: probably M50X, depending on his age. They will undoubtedly have stronger bass than the HD579. Current price of the HD579's makes them half the cost of the M50X's though.

These 579’s be a good investment for listening on my laptop? motherboard sound unfortunately no separate sound card. regards

Soldato
Laptop shouldn't have any trouble powering them as they are easy to drive, but the sound quality is possibly not as good as it could be. Depends on the laptop though really. So called higher end ones may fare better when it comes to audio output compared to a £300 one.

Dragonfly DAC or a FiiO E10K are good choices if the output isn't up to much.

HD579 aren't available for £65 anymore on the jungle site; sellers only and around £120, but they can be had for £70 from the place that shares it's name with a Greek city.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Dekoni earpads arrived today, sodding £14 in customs fees to pay!

Anyway, spending the last hour or so listening to them and they seem fine to me. Because the inner opening is slightly smaller than the standard pads, the sound feels slightly less open I think, unsure yet if in a good or bad way, perhaps neutral, certainly not bad, but just different? It's excellent for acoustic music, for example, but perhaps not for gaming where a wider soundstage is desirable.

The highs and mids seem more or less on par with stock pads, the low down bass is slightly more present because of the memory foam.

The velour is not the same as the stock pads, this is less piled and the pad surface is more flat than the curved nature of the stock pads. The comfort level is good however. Still getting used to them and they press on the head slightly differently to the stock pads, the memory foam shapes to your head once warmed up unlike normal foam.

Pics:

DUrkQpu.jpg

GlktgsM.jpg

T43OFoU.jpg

As you can see, there is no change in pad thickness vs stock. Some people were saying the other models of the Dekoni pads increase thickness, thus changing the sound travel distance and colouring the sound adversely.

Soldato
So I have the 650's but noticed the newer refreshed version, 650s, Anyone got both that can give a short overview of the differences ? Thinking of getting the 650s :)

The 660s? I have been mulling the same but from what I read, they are pretty much the same or a negligible difference. Apart from the fact that they are easier to drive.

Man of Honour
The 660s? I have been mulling the same but from what I read, they are pretty much the same or a negligible difference. Apart from the fact that they are easier to drive.

Can only go on what I've read but yeah easier to drive and supposedly a tiny bit more refinement at the top and bottom of the frequency response - though I half suspect that is due to people not actually 100% having an amp that can drive the 600/650.

Back
Top Bottom