Separating from my wife.

Soldato
Marriage is an outdated institution anyway. Why anyone would want it is beyond me. Most marriages end up like the OPs anyway in this day and age.
What is wrong with just being together and not signing some paper and spending stupid amounts of money on something that the majority of the time is doomed to end up failing and causing more money/stress later on down the line.

Pessimistic I know, but true.
Well a lot can happen over the years. People tend to lose focus , forgetting the number one mantra of always improving yourself.
I also think people rush into it - getting married after a few years etc.

Marriage is a commitment and time needs to be taken to ensure compatibility is there especially in the bad times.
Also kids. Both a blessing and a curse. Couples forget to make time for themselves and each other and before you know it youv woken up 10 years later not having a clue who the other person is anymore!

Permabanned
Well a lot can happen over the years. People tend to lose focus , forgetting the number one mantra of always improving yourself.
I also think people rush into it - getting married after a few years etc.

Marriage is a commitment and time needs to be taken to ensure compatibility is there especially in the bad times.

This is exactly my point as well. Marriage nowadays is nothing like it was say 60-70 years ago. My Nan and Grandad were together and married from their early teens until his death.

Soldato
Depends how you define contribute and if she’s literally contributing nothing at all then why would you still be with her lol

I'm talking theoretically. Talking about my girlfriend, I've only been with her a few months and both live in rented accommodation, she also doesn't want kids or marriage.

I'm just saying that if I was with someone who contributed nothing then I would be quite angry if I had to hand over my house / whatever else. I bet that if if the tables were turned and a woman had her own house and worked all the time whilst I stayed at home (in her home) and did nothing but be a househusband then there would be slim chance of getting her house (or a share in her house) if I cheated on another woman!

Caporegime
Then get an agreement\contract that suits. This suited us. Yes I pay more towards the mortgage in terms of the percentage split but she does way more of the cleaning and chores than I do, Do they not require some form of recompense? I doubt there are many actual relationships where the finances are split 50\50 without one party being put out and having no life. Everything needs to be taken into consideration really.

well yeah, I've already alluded to this with the reference to kids... but sure if one person works less than the other but contributes in some other way then why not

Associate
Doesn't make any difference in the UK, they aren't legally binding.

I’ve heard that no they are not binding but they will be taken into account as “representative of both parties wishes at the time of getting married” or some words to that affect. I.e a spouse with far less assets is agreeing that these are not her/his assets??

Is this a load of rubbish?

I am single but recently being in a relationship with a girl who it has transpired (with another bloke) is a far more callous piece of work than I ever expected so want to protect myself moving forward as I have a few assets myself

What’s the thoughts on hiding money in assets such as physical gold and hiding assets in my sisters name? I know if she gets married I run that risk but given today’s society I feel like I am spreading my bets?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve heard that no they are not binding but they will be taken into account as even “representative of both parties wishes at the time of getting married” or some words to that affect. I.e a spouse with far less assets is agreeing that these are not her/his assets??

If children aren't involved then maybe, but I'm pretty sure I've read cases where prenups still don't hold up without children.

Soldato
I’ve heard that no they a
re not binding but they will be taken into account as “representative of both parties wishes at the time of getting married” or some words to that affect. I.e a spouse with far less assets is agreeing that these are not her/his assets??

Is this a load of rubbish?

I am single but recently being in a relationship with a girl who it has transpired (with another bloke) is a far more callous piece of work than I ever expected so want to protect myself moving forward as I have a few assets myself

What’s the thoughts on hiding money in assets such as physical gold and hiding assets in my sisters name? I know if she gets married I run that risk but given today’s society I feel like I am spreading my bets?
I am not a divorce lawyer, but my understand from chatting with my colleague who is (getting some advice on behalf of my dad who is about to get re-married) is that the courts will look at the situation at the time marriage breaks down, not how it was at the time of marriage/any prenup etc. I.e if they agree everything is the blokes before getting married, and said woman then gets to live a life of luxury at his expense, her lifestyle requirements will be taken into account down the line. That isn't to say the prenup will be torn up and everything go 50/50 (or worse), but it is unlikely to stay exactly as it is written especially if she has little or not assets of her own.

It's something to take full and proper advice on beforehand and not a decision to take lightly imo.

As to "hiding" assets, anything you have in your name can and will be used against you if found. Think how that will look when they find out... Not to mention how pleased your respective lawyers will be that you've made everything much more complicated at their combined hourly rates :p

Caporegime
I am not a divorce lawyer, but my understand from chatting with my colleague who is (getting some advice on behalf of my dad who is about to get re-married) is that the courts will look at the situation at the time marriage breaks down, not how it was at the time of marriage/any prenup etc. I.e if they agree everything is the blokes before getting married, and said woman then gets to live a life of luxury at his expense, her lifestyle requirements will be taken into account down the line. That isn't to say the prenup will be torn up and everything go 50/50 (or worse), but it is unlikely to stay exactly as it is written especially if she has little or not assets of her own.

It's something to take full and proper advice on beforehand and not a decision to take lightly imo.

As to "hiding" assets, anything you have in your name can and will be used against you if found. Think how that will look when they find out... Not to mention how pleased your respective lawyers will be that you've made everything much more complicated at their combined hourly rates :p

Bitcoin!

Back
Top Bottom