Serious Sam 4: Nostalgia awaits!

Soldato
I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since the first Serious Sam was released, it was one of my earliest gaming memories. As lacking as the story line is, it was a blast to play!

As it was one of my first FPS gaming experiences it probably explains why I was always such a gung ho CS player, the game was just pure aggression - jumping and strafing to avoid enemy fire rather than tactically covering and peaking around objects.

I played the second too, but by the third installment I was too entrenched in the competitive nature of online gaming.

I can't wait for this fourth game though, I hope it brings back all those fun memories and easy aggressive gameplay of the first two.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257420/Serious_Sam_4/

Associate
Haha awesome. Had no idea this was coming. Ive played them all. The second encounter is still the best. 3 was pretty good, 2 was a bit naff.

Looks pretty good on the videos. The trailer where all the aliens are running from Sam is hilarious, haha.

Associate
Love the SS games - the only games I know of that encourages you to jump outside the map to find shortcuts.
That feeling when when you almost make it to the end but waves of enemies come at you forcing you to backup all the way to the start of the level.

£30.99 hmm, plenty of games to play so will see how much it drops by (or how much on CDKeys).

Associate
Not too positive...

GManLives reviews pretty much every FPS going so knows ...

But if hes comparing like for like with most modern FPS (heck even FPS from the last 10years) its not going to look favourable. Does it scratch that old gung-ho feeling that the original Serious Sams did? For me thats the only question; if yes I will get it and thoroughly enjoy it for the short time till I complete it.

Associate
Well I bought it. Played first hour. Finding it really great. As always, read review with a pinch of salt. If you love the previous games, you will love this.

I think it runs really well and looks lovely and crisp @ 4K. Not the most visually pretty game out there but they do the job. Running all Ultra settings on Ryzen 3600X and 1080ti. A few areas of slowdown when lots of particle effects closeup but other than that, the 1080ti still proving what a great card it is.

Associate
But if hes comparing like for like with most modern FPS (heck even FPS from the last 10years) its not going to look favourable. Does it scratch that old gung-ho feeling that the original Serious Sams did? For me thats the only question; if yes I will get it and thoroughly enjoy it for the short time till I complete it.

Exactly. its Serious Sam, not Half Life. Some of these reviewers are total noobs. They were probly still in daddy's ball sack when the first ones came out. I saw a review the other day complaining about the anoying headless kamikasi bombers. For real?

Associate
Exactly. its Serious Sam, not Half Life. Some of these reviewers are total noobs. They were probly still in daddy's ball sack when the first ones came out. I saw a review the other day complaining about the anoying headless kamikasi bombers. For real?

The kamikaze bomber waves are iconic... that frantic moment trying to kite and gun them down. If he complains about that then he doesnt appreciate what Serious Sam is. Its a generational thing I feel.

Back
Top Bottom