Server disposing?

Soldato
I cant believe they built a machine just to shred and separate electrical stuff like that, so how many billion years will it take for it to payback the carbon footprint from its own creation/usage? lol

Soldato
I cant believe they built a machine just to shred and separate electrical stuff like that, so how many billion years will it take for it to payback the carbon footprint from its own creation/usage? lol

Surly it's better than dumping the whole thing in the ground where it takes millions of years to break down? The material is reused rather than having to be created from raw materials again.

Soldato
A lot of the official WEEE authorised treatment facilities will take your stuff for free at the moment as the price of scrap is quite high. The guys we use are now also paying us £10 a machine for any working P4 unit we send to them and taking the rest for free, prior to this year when scrap was lower in price i was paying them around £5 a machine to shift.

Soldato
Surly it's better than dumping the whole thing in the ground where it takes millions of years to break down? The material is reused rather than having to be created from raw materials again.

Actually no, the only thing worth recycling is aluminium cans, everything else is better off being put in a landfill and making a new one as its actually more harmful to the environment to recycle it.

Soldato
We got rid of a load of wyse terminals, a monitor, switch and some other server stuff. Ebay started at £5 and sold for £60 i think. The guy (another business) sent a van to collect it all. I got to keep the £60 because it was going to cost money to recycle it anyway!

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
The only problem I can see with selling stuff is that you don't get any certificates etc...

Do auditors generally require proof of destruction?

Associate
Actually no, the only thing worth recycling is aluminium cans, everything else is better off being put in a landfill and making a new one as its actually more harmful to the environment to recycle it.

Hate to say it but your slightly mis informed there. Landfill is not the best place to put old stuff. Re-using the stuff is actually much better and if not recycling it is environmentally better.

Soldato

Billions of years?
You don't realise the scale on which these machines work, i'd say a few months of good solid business would be enough.

Also anything finite is worth recycling, why waste something which will one day run out? Landfill is more expensive that recycling as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom