Server hosting from home

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Hi all,

is it legal to run a web hosting business from home on 100mb virgin media 'home' broadband?

"Web hosting business" implies that you will be selling hosting services to other people? It's probably not illegal but VM probably won't like it not to mention it's just a bad idea in general.

Caporegime
OP
ok thanks, im not 'seriously' considering this, its just another idea.
what other money making things can a rack of old xeon server blades be used for?
(approximately 28 solo core xeons @ 2.7ghz and 56gb of DDR...)

Associate
Hi all,

is it legal to run a web hosting business from home on 100mb virgin media 'home' broadband?

Looking into it, they do shape traffic for SMTP, due to malware infestations. You'd not have much of a problem otherwise, however, you would fall foul of the terms and conditions which state:

Using the Services
1. ...
h. Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

I think that I may stop hosting my website for £3.30 p/m and bring it 'in house'. You can do something rather clever if you use the free DynDNS type services. To get a domain name to dynamically follow you, use the DynDNS domain as a CNAME for your main domain to follow your home IP address.

Thus you don't need to set up a paid for DynDNS account.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-cable-services.html#responsible link to the terms and conditions page on VM's site

Last edited:
Associate
ok thanks, im not 'seriously' considering this, its just another idea.
what other money making things can a rack of old xeon server blades be used for?
(approximately 28 solo core xeons @ 2.7ghz and 56gb of DDR...)

Not a lot, on the power alone it'd be hard to compete for things like webhosting.

Render farm perhaps, but again i'm sure there are render farm services out there which are running on much more modern/efficient hardware so can be done much more cheaply.

Associate
Well unless you want to use it for a learning lab then yeah thats probably your best course of action.

You could use it to learn about clustering and whatnot, but even then it's probably best to just simulate a cluster in lots of VMs

Soldato
Yeah, power costs make it unfeasible to run older hardware from home, it's all about power per watt. It costs roughly £1/Watt/Year, double that if you need air con. You'd struggle to sell enough hosting to cover the costs.

You could probably get a brand new 2 socket, 16 thread Xeon server with equivalent power to those 28 oldies and it would pay for itself in 6 months just from power savings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah, power costs make it unfeasible to run older hardware from home, it's all about power per watt. It costs roughly £1/Watt/Year, double that if you need air con. You'd struggle to sell enough hosting to cover the costs.

haha, yeah i see your point :)

Last edited:
Associate
Looking into it, they do shape traffic for SMTP, due to malware infestations. You'd not have much of a problem otherwise, however, you would fall foul of the terms and conditions which state:

Using the Services
1. ...
h. Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;

I think that I may stop hosting my website for £3.30 p/m and bring it 'in house'. You can do something rather clever if you use the free DynDNS type services. To get a domain name to dynamically follow you, use the DynDNS domain as a CNAME for your main domain to follow your home IP address.

Thus you don't need to set up a paid for DynDNS account.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-cable-services.html#responsible link to the terms and conditions page on VM's site

If you reference your home IP via a cname then all other DNS entries will be ignored. So its very limiting and exactly why DYNDNS has paid for services.

So if you had the following (as per your example)

www.mywebsite.com CNAME me.homeip.net
mail.mywebsite.com ARecord 222.222.222.222
mail.mywebsite.com MX 10

All DNS providers will ignore anything other than the root CNAME reference. So you will need to host everything via that single cname which isn't very clever, nor usable.

Back
Top Bottom