service intervals

Associate
Service it as the manual says and not the dealer.

Itll cost you 30quid for an oil and filter and by the sounds of it, its a cheap chinese or so bike. This means youll need to keep both your engine good and your warranty as itll likely need work done at some stage.

Its a cheap bike so perhaps it eats itself a bit more so needs more regular oil changes.

Joys of buying cheap im afraid.

Soldato
It does seem rather a low mileage interval for an oil change, but perhaps the sump capacity is very low? It may also be indicative of how quickly the engine eats itself...

Associate
Hmm nope, never taken it for any servicing at all, been on the bike a lot recently, it's a ybr 125, are things likely to go wrong? :S

Associate
I must be really naive, I kinda rushed into the whole bike thing and had no idea that they needed to go for any sort of service that regularly, thought the first might have been at 3000 miles.

Associate
You bought a bike from new and the dealer didn't explain the servicing schedule of the bike, when your clearly a new rider?!?1

Any questions on biking please ask in this section theres a lot of experience between the lads here.

Soldato
A first service is pretty darn important, it's also to catch any factory faults and loose fixings.

Mechanical faults can soon mess your day up..

Associate
From new and done 2100 miles, will get in touch with the dealer soon :p

Should be grand, yamaha engines so go on forever most of the time. Get an oil and filter in it to keep it good mate.

If its still under warranty get a garage to do it otherwise find a youtube video and DIY it for about 20quid. Easy as hell...

Associate
The main thing to do on smaller 125cc air cooled engines is to change the oil and or clean the filter at regular intervals. I would suggest doing this at intervals of around 1,000km (600 miles). Spark plug should be changed at around 2,900km (1,800 miles) along with the air filter at around every 2,900km (1800 miles). Then just run checks on everything else, especially drive chain and sprockets which should be cleaned and re-oiled at around every 1,600km (1,000 miles). Ride safely!

Man of Honour
The main thing to do on smaller 125cc air cooled engines is to change the oil and or clean the filter at regular intervals. I would suggest doing this at intervals of around 1,000km (600 miles). Spark plug should be changed at around 2,900km (1,800 miles) along with the air filter at around every 2,900km (1800 miles). Then just run checks on everything else, especially drive chain and sprockets which should be cleaned and re-oiled at around every 1,600km (1,000 miles). Ride safely!

You're 7 years too late for that advice. I bet the bike is in a scrap heap by now.

Associate
I don't think so. A 125cc air cooled engine lives on it's oil and it needs to be changed every 600 miles. Most motorbike service manuals will give you this info.

Man of Honour
So change the engine oil every 600 miles and oil the chain every 1000 miles. Okay then...

An oil change after the first 600 miles is sensible but after that anything more frequent than a few thousand miles is a waste of money. A lot of these engines get abused in the tropical climates of 3rd world countries and go on for ever with basic or no maintenance.

Soldato
A 125cc engine is likely to have more regular service intervals than larger engines as it spends its life at high rpm, getting thrashed to maintain 50mph. Oil degrades with engine use due to shear, high rpms will therefore shear more.

However, 600 miles is a bit excessive. I remember being surprised seeing the Honda Grom (125cc) service intervals were every 2500 miles, but it does make sense. I would adopt a similar interval.

Soldato
Sounds to me like you're confusing the first oil change with the subsequent ones. The first one is typically around 600 miles on most bike engines.

A quick glance of popular Japanese 125 models states a oil change interval of 2500-3500 miles.

Back
Top Bottom