SETI@home News Vol. 95

Soldato
I was curious of something i saw in settings on boinc that if i joined a team they would have access to my email address?
Are there any optimal settings you would reccomend for seti will be using a pc full time and one part time for crunching only used seti for 1month 66000 with a ton pending any reccomendations would be greatfully received
Thank You and look forward to being part of the team

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you're doing a good job already :)

All I can suggest really is that you use optimised apps (if you're not already, of course). You'll get more work done if you do, as these apps get through WUs quite a bit faster than the standard apps. You can download the appropriate ones here, although if you're running Windows then I'd recommend downloading one of the Unified Installer packages rather than individual files, as the app_info.xml file needs editing when using these optimised apps, which the Unified Installer package does for you.

Also, if you have a CUDA-capable graphics card then you can run SETI on that if you wish. You'll need to make sure the SETI CUDA app and drivers are downloaded for that as well, from the same site I linked to above (these are included in the Unified Installer packages, though you may wish to download and use the updated 2.3 dlls).

Not sure about the email address thing. I'm guessing it's only the team founder that has access to it, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Associate
cpartcert1.php

Quite proud :D

Also im using the BOINC client to run SETI, does it automatically use the GPU? and generally any other things people can reccomend to do.

Soldato

Also im using the BOINC client to run SETI, does it automatically use the GPU? and generally any other things people can reccomend to do.

Good evening Mr Slashiem, it is good to see you in here.
I have been keeping an eye on you as you are the fastest mover behind me in the stats and as long as it stays that way all is good :D

Like the Tiffy mate - keep up the good work.

Apologies to all but i am new to oc uk and would like to join the seti team

Welcome Toxictbag, pop in anytime and I'll put the kettle on :D

One month and you have 66000 :eek:

Ask as many questions as you like, you will find some very helpful people here I am sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Big thanks to TheTross for your help and advice have downloaded and installed the Unified installer Package, for some strange reason all my tasks have now dissapeared but hey no worrys at least im on the right track.
Halz thanks for the kettle offer im a sucker for a cuppa cheers

Associate
lol thats a little harsh kolala but it does seem like that at times ;).
Is it just me (and my amazing luck) or is it every time something goes wrong that requires a boinc uninstall/reinstall its either late monday or early tuesday then you sit for 12Hrs with an empty cache of WU's until the maintenance is over.

Soldato
Big thanks to TheTross for your help and advice have downloaded and installed the Unified installer Package, for some strange reason all my tasks have now dissapeared but hey no worrys at least im on the right track.
Halz thanks for the kettle offer im a sucker for a cuppa cheers

No worries, anytime :) I would love to offer some advice but I best leave that to some of our Pro's.

As Kolala pointed out the servers are down for maintenance as we speak but all should be good in a couple of hours (hopefully).
Funding is thin on the ground so dont expect to much, they do their best.
This is also your first lesson, keep a stash of w/u's to cover a few days, I was caught out a short while ago and crunching time lost is lost forever :(
..............unless you nipped out and bought a couple of these puppies

Soldato
First lesson learnt - duly noted and filed away for future ref!
Just a few last questions and i promise to get knuckled down to some serious crunching!
Is there a way i can back up my tasks etc to avoid this happening again?
I cant seem to see my username on the team list so i can get the stats logo to show on my posts - any advice much appreciated.
Yup halz i would like a few of those puppies in the next few months am watching prices to see what happens.
Thank You one and all!

Soldato
You wont see your name listed until the stats update, which I think is about 1 to 2 o'clock in the morning.

Tommorow just go here find your name and click the tiny yellow icon to the right of your name - your overtake stats are then good to go (and I will be able to see what you are upto) ;)

Soldato
OP
Is there a way i can back up my tasks etc to avoid this happening again

Unless you need to tinker about with the BOINC software itself there's no need to back your tasks up. That said, for future reference, SETI tasks are stored in the ..\BOINC\Data\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu directory (off the top of me head).

I apologise for you losing the tasks you had when you installed the optimised apps - I couldn't remember if they were valid or not with those apps; obviously they weren't :(

About the stash of WUs halz mentioned... when SETI is back up after its routine maintenance outage, go into your account and, under Preferences, change the 'Connect about every' (or similar) option to however many days' worth of WUs you wish to download and have available to crunch at any given time. A setting of at least 3-4 days is preferable in case of unplanned project downtime, though I have mine set to 7 days just to make sure :D

The other thing that you might want to use is the ReSchedule tool that you can find on this page. (You'll need to create an account on the lunatics site to download it.) This converts VLAR (Very Low Angle Range) GPU WUs into CPU WUs (VLAR WUs take aaaaaaaages on GPUs, but run normally on CPUs). I think if you downloaded the Unified Installer the GPU app it included automatically kills any VLAR WUs it comes across, but this is no use to the science being done and is detrimental in terms of Berkeley's (and your!) bandwidth. ReSchedule allows such WUs to run on your CPU instead of being killed, which is much better for everyone. It also allows CPU WUs to be converted to GPU WUs, which is useful if you ever run out of GPU tasks but have a clutch of (non-VLAR) CPU WUs. EDIT: I have no idea if it works in Vista or Win 7 - I've only ever run it in XP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Congrats on the tiffy!

Also im using the BOINC client to run SETI, does it automatically use the GPU?

No. You'll need to download the CUDA app and drivers and edit the app_info.xml file accordingly so that BOINC knows to use them. Note you can only run the standard WUs on nvidia cards, not ATI. See my post a few up (#23) about where to download them.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol not to worry, appreciate that Tross - will follow those steps with the Reschedule and boinc preferences.
Thanks for all your (and halz) help - now all i have to do is wait for payday and a change of setup - an upgrade of some parts is going to be neccesary if i really want to improve those stats and make a difference.
Cheers all and have a good one!

Associate
If you want to get rid of the auto vlarkill option in the unified installer its pretty simple. You need to download the 'CudaMB V12 non-VlarKill.exe' from the same site. Place it in your 'setiathome.berkeley.edu' directory (or the same place as MB_6.08_CUDA_V12_VLARKill_FPLim2048_test.exe) then edit the app_info.xml (using notebook or similar) replacing any referance to the MB_6.08_CUDA_V12_VLARKill_FPLim2048_test.exe with the MB_6.08_CUDA_V12_noKill_FPLim2048.exe.
Im @ work atm so not 100% sure on everything but if you want i/someone could talk you through it at some point or post your app_info.xml and i'm sure someone could edit it for you if your not confident.
I dont think you loose your cache doing this but you may want to empty it first if you want to try it by not allowing new WU's to make sure you dont waste any unreported WU's

Soldato
Tips hat to Reaver! - Thanks for that i will hang fire on that one till tommorrow once ive got my last recomendations done and dusted and am sure all is as it should be.
Yup would greatly appreciate an "idiot guide" when you have the time for now will sit quiet n happy wearing the big hat with a large "D" on it - guess we all have to start somewhere lol

Back
Top Bottom