SETI@home News Vol. 95

Soldato
Sorry for the late reply but yes definately on there - got a bit wrapped up in a format and hoying a graphics card through an open window - not sure what the neighbours will make of it lol

Soldato
OP
got a bit wrapped up in a format and hoying a graphics card through an open window - not sure what the neighbours will make of it lol

:eek:

Blimey, if it's not Marine Iguana trashing hardware around here it's you! We won't be able to move in the dunjins soon for all the dead cruncher parts cluttering the place up.

Dare I ask what happened?

Associate
EDIT: I have no idea if it works in Vista or Win 7 - I've only ever run it in XP.

I can confirm that rescheduler runs fine on Vista and Win7. Standard problem that it the BOINC client sometimes fails to reconnect, and you have to close down the client and fire it up again to see whats going on (no loss of work as task manager reports all apps running even when client can't connect).

Soldato
Morning all - retrieved the expelled graphics card and surprisingly it still works if you guys are interested your welcome to it - TheTross and halz first refusal in view of all the help you have given - its a bfg nvidia geforce 7950gt oc 512mb ddr3 ram dual dvi - not great but it might come in usefull.
Have installed the Unified Installer - no problems on one machine its fine - although being a bit on the thick side i cant seem to see if its making a difference.
Installed on second machine - string of messages "no application for task...disgarding"
other than that all semms ok and hopefully i'll be showing on the boards tonight

Soldato
Thanks for the offer but I have just bought this ......

BFG-GeForce-GTX-280-OCX,5-7-153115-3.jpg

................and its all your fault :D

Soldato
OP
Aye, thanks very much for the kind offer ToxicTBag but I'll have to decline as well. Besides, I don't think 7950s are CUDA-capable - at least, I can't see them listed as being on the nvidia site.

Soldato
I can see am going to have to start from the ground up, i only have a nvidia geforce 9800gt and i cant figure out why in boinc it says "using 0.21 cpus + 1 nvidia gpu" is there not a way to pump more out of it?

Soldato
I can see am going to have to start from the ground up, i only have a nvidia geforce 9800gt and i cant figure out why in boinc it says "using 0.21 cpus + 1 nvidia gpu" is there not a way to pump more out of it?

Yes - have seti use 95% cpu time and use all available cores, change in options/preferences (via your online account)

Last edited:
Associate
Stream Processors are good.

Currently running 648 of them tied up in 3 x GTX260's :)

Soon to be replaced with 2 x GTX480's :D

Then after 3 or 4 more months a whole new rig with that new fandangled water cooling thingymijiggy :)

Soldato
Stream Processors are good.

Currently running 648 of them tied up in 3 x GTX260's :)

Soon to be replaced with 2 x GTX480's :D

Then after 3 or 4 more months a whole new rig with that new fandangled water cooling thingymijiggy :)

Or......

3 x GTX470?

Choices choices......

:D

Nobody likes a smart arse :p................dam it, the team does actually :( :D

Last edited:
Soldato

All that "using 0.21 cpus + 1 nvidia gpu" is saying is that the unit being processed by the gpu requires 0.21 of the cpu's time - thats normal (well at least thats what it says on mine)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that halz - thanks for the welcome Pilgrim!
Well i must say you've all done a sterling job of turning me into a a little power freak - in no less than 24hours - well done...just oggling some peoples setups wow...i'm in an i7 kinda mood...if anyone could reccomend a top notch setup for crunching(just the occassional game is all) if all sells well on the bay i might be abled to afford it in next few weeks.
Thanks again one and all !

Soldato
i'm in an i7 kinda mood...if anyone could reccomend a top notch setup for crunching

Your going to cost me a bleeding fortune.

Your the first person to put up some sort of opposition in my area of the stats and now your talking i7's.........this could be war :cool:

You will see the biggest gains upgrading your gpu's and I mean really big.

Back
Top Bottom