SETI@home News Vol. 95

Soldato
No no i'm not out to cause a fuss - its just when i find something i enjoy or get stuck into then i dont mind spending a few quid - team first and a bit of friendly rivalry but definately not out to stomp (learning) on anyone....
I just about gotten my head around the stats but seriously your way ahead halz the way i read it your average is way abovemine.
Heck dont spend anymore that graphics card must have made quite a dent...you'll have to show the figures once its up n running.

Soldato
OP
No no i'm not out to cause a fuss - its just when i find something i enjoy or get stuck into then i dont mind spending a few quid - team first and a bit of friendly rivalry but definately not out to stomp (learning) on anyone...

Correction: You definitely ARE out to stomp people! Afterall, that's the aim of the game* when in a team, and seeing as you're looking like investing in more/better hardware you'll be stomping a lot of people very quickly. Don't worry about it hurting anyone either - those stomped deserve all they get, with the biggest slackers being well used to it :p. All that's asked of you is that you issue a polite parp notice before you go past - obviously not to everyone, but just to those that are active posters around here; it lets them know they're slacking...

*Some folk say they do it for the science... weirdos :p

Last edited:
Soldato
ok i cannot deny i would get a bit of a kick getting up on the stats and what not, a polite parp i could do as long as people dont take it too serious - hey if it gives people the "what the" "who the" it might just get everyone working even harder - did i mention commission - no sorry wrong site ;)
Duly noted Tross....and filed away for future ref

Soldato
Thank You M
i have a vaio rt2sy q9400with 12gb ram and a q6600 with 8gb ram, i am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of ditching 1 or other...the vaio is nice and all but theres no upgrading the graphics its an all in one jobby.
The other machines in a conventional case and can upgrade the graphics etc but it has an old foxconn motherboard which seems to be slowly winding down to certain death.
Given that i would primarily like to crunch for seti and with just the occassional game web and baying, would i be better off ditching the vaio and upgrading the 2nd machines motherboard or ditching the lot and buying a really nice setup - i like the ocuk prices.
Or if i wanted to do a lot of serious crunching would i be better off with two mid range machines....ive been thinking about it for days now and im no nearer a solution i thought you all might have an opinion or some advice?
Any and all advice is welcome...yeah you can call me a noob which i am learning though ;)

Soldato
Thank You M
i have a vaio rt2sy ...the vaio is nice and all but theres no upgrading the graphics its an all in one jobby.
........... would i be better off ditching the vaio and upgrading the 2nd machines motherboard or ditching the lot and buying a really nice setup - i like the ocuk prices.
;)

Defo dump the all in one sony, the bay is full of dead ones, very expensive (if even possible) to repair should the worst happen.
People fall over each other trying to buy anything with sony written on it on the bay so you should sell it with ease.

The money raised can go on upgrading your gpu's - giving you the best bang per buck by a country mile.
Taking gpu's out of the equation, i7s are nice but after you have shelled out that amount of money you wont be that impressed, well not £500-£700 impressed anyway.
That amount of money on gpu's however and your output would go ballistic :D
Then again if cashflow isnt a problem both would be even better.

For the record I have no intention of going near i7s for the next 12 months at least ..................GTX480's yum yum ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you halz i kinda suspected that would be it - darn if only i had discovered oc uk first - bay it is for the sony.
Yeah the prices are kinda scary for the top end i7s i was slooking at some of the pre overclocked bundles-am not ready to go bios diving just yet - yup i think your right beef up the graphics but that brings on a whole new set of questions-dont be afraid to say stop - no more free advice lol - which graphics cards give more bang per buck and would using 2 be better than one (independent or sli which is better for crunching?)a mate advised me to wait untill theses fermi thingymbobs come out but heck if i keep holding out i'll die with a heap of garbage and the stats to match lol.
Much appreciate yer time halz thank you

Soldato
Thanks for that Marine - yeah have wasted dosh on sony products yet again, least on the bright side i should have a fair few quid to pick a decent mobo - be more than happy to donate what i have left to any of you guys(glances round the forum) if it would be any use...there would be a nice unicorn case a (not sure if its 750 or 880 pwrspply the old mobo some memory....gotto promise to crunch with it mind lol
Cheers guys your all invaluable sources i must admit

Back
Top Bottom