SETI@home News Vol. 95

Soldato
Starting at the cheapest end of the scale -

8800GT's (I have a couple of these)

9800GT's

9800GTX's

9800GTX-2's :D

Then all the newer gear

GTX260's upto the 295's (I have just bought a GTX280)

With any of the above, if you have an SLI motherboard, you can put 2,3 or even 4 gpu's in one case but costs can rise quickly here due to other considerations ie power supplies.

Then there is the new GTX480 due out soon but not much is known about it yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I seriously dont know how you all sleep....so many choices...prices..decisions ive pulled a 48hr straight but at least am getting a better idea of what i want.
ok so imagine i have the sli motherboard - i'm not a heavy gamer - bit of bioshock or oblivion - is there a better choice there - meaning if i'm doing crunching should i look for any particular card as opposed to if i wanted to game i would just go for the highest spec i could afford. Using a top notch (or two) gpu would really increase figues that much then wow
Well that wraps up all my queries and a real big thanks to you all - i just have to raid the bank and i'm done (makes mental note to get at least 2hrs sleep before 9am ;)

Just spotted that comment Marine so if i did purchase in the gtx200 range theyd be redundant fairly soon ...crumbs...would they still give me a decent performance though?

Soldato
The 9800GX-2's are interesting, 2 cards in one with 256 stream processors - could be an idea in your current board if you only have 1 pcie x16 slot.
You will have to search the bay for those, output similar to GTX280 but prob cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just spotted that comment Marine so if i did purchase in the gtx200 range theyd be redundant fairly soon ...crumbs...would they still give me a decent performance though?

They are very good for the price you pay and will only be made redundant by the newer Nvidia GPU's that are to be released, but for gaming/crunching they are a excellent card to have if not a couple of GTX280's are nicer more shaders to use :)

^ Or as above

Soldato
Well heres hoping the bay does well over the weekend and i can be rid of the all in one.
I dont really want to go spending till at least i know i have some or all coming back....the wallets on standby and i'm rareing to go.
Yup a few of those gtx280 sound kinda nice Marine a mobo and case few bits n bobs....oh well rather be skint n have what i want than rich with a netbook (netbook owners please dont take offense lol)
Man i'm feeling better allready everything goes according to plan and i could be a happy man by next weekend - wish me luck lol

Soldato
OP
Yup a few of those gtx280 sound kinda nice Marine a mobo and case few bits n bobs....oh well rather be skint n have what i want than rich with a netbook (netbook owners please dont take offense lol)
Man i'm feeling better allready everything goes according to plan and i could be a happy man by next weekend - wish me luck lol

I don't want to rain on your parade, but have you considered the running costs for such a rig? I've seen several members on here have a multi-GPU setup that they've then had to downscale because electricity costs were too high - a CPU and 3-4 GPUs running flat out uses a not-insignificant amount of juice. Finding a good balance between price and performance is therefore something most of us here have to settle on.

Of course, if you can afford to run that then I'll look forward to seeing your incessant march up the table!

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't want to rain on your parade, but have you considered the running costs for such a rig? I've seen several members on here have a multi-GPU setup that they've then had to downscale because electricity costs were too high - a CPU and 3-4 GPUs running flat out uses a not-insignificant amount of juice. Finding a good balance between price and performance is therefore something most of us here have to settle on.

Of course, if you can afford to run that then I'll look forward to seeing your incessant march up the table!
A fair and valid point - problem solved - water bills are really high so i'm fitting an electric shower instead of using the bath - taddaa hopefully that'll help

Soldato
I have been doing so much stomping recently I almost forgot about this ............

cpartcert1.php

problem solved - i'm fitting an electric shower

LOL - Extreme cooling indeed, an OcUK first I think :D

Soldato
Oh one more thing, nice to see you in the stats mate - now get stomping :D

Now, where's my bed :D
Am trying halz been at it for 24 hrs or so it shows me as innactive hopefully tonights update will put that right - :eek: forgot you have an all singhing and dancing gpu now - no parping for a while then:D

Associate
Erm......

Anyone seen Grimgoth around here?

Just want to make sure he cleans his cell before I move in......

Cause I'm giving him his 2 weeks notice.

:D

Soldato
Erm......

Anyone seen Grimgoth around here?

Just want to make sure he cleans his cell before I move in......

Cause I'm giving him his 2 weeks notice.

uugh :confused: thought you were winding things down.

Or have you managed to steal some GTX480's from a lab or something :p

Associate
Either 3 x GTX470's

or

2 x GTX480's and one of my current GTX260's

Then when Gulftowns become somewhere close to reasonable £'s a second rig filled with 480's watercooled

Soldato
OP
it shows me as innactive hopefully tonights update will put that right

Even though neither SETIatWork nor BOINCStats show you as active yet, you're definitely on the team - look here and here for confirmation. Note that the second of those two links contains the certificates you've been awarded for reaching certain milestones (they can be found at the bottom of the page) - show the latest one off if you wish :). I know we do :D

(For clarity, these certificates are unofficial and [if I'm right] were designed by Berserker, who runs, maintains and hosts that site.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom