SETI@home News Vol. 95

Soldato
cpartcert1.php

oops

Soldato
Thank you both - hmmm thats an awfull long way for a banana - am going to need a good mode of transport - some protection and supplies
Just perfect - i'll be back with that banana in 56 days 14hrs
049_pics.jpg

Soldato
:eek: wow do you have the whole neighbourhood crunching for you?

Thats just with 4 (I think) GPU's, during Seti Classic you would have needed a whole call center full of pc's to produce that level of performance.
Thats why I said to you before - get GPU's and forget about the i7 for now.
Even with a couple of 9800GT's your output would be impressive then you could upgrade at a later date to, for example, 2 x GTX285's etc.
You dont have to go mad moneywise to get a good output.

Soldato
Thats just with 4 (I think) GPU's, during Seti Classic you would have needed a whole call center full of pc's to produce that level of performance.
Thats why I said to you before - get GPU's and forget about the i7 for now.
Even with a couple of 9800GT's your output would be impressive then you could upgrade at a later date to, for example, 2 x GTX285's etc.
You dont have to go mad moneywise to get a good output.
Yeah your absolutely right of course it just took a while to sink in...lady luck has smiled on the bay and my all in ones sold in less than 24 hr so i can go ahead and order tonight or tommorrow.
So supposing i just upgraded my motherboard to something respectable and less clunky 2Xgtx285s would be the way to go and you could add more gpu in time if required? - do they have to be connected sli or seperate etc...thanks in advance :D oh happy days lol

Soldato
Maybe I could suggest a 2 or 3 way SLI mobo, this way you can buy one card at a time, spreading the cost over a longer time frame.

A 3 way board filled with anything is going to fly :D

Make sure that if you do go for either 2 or 3 way sli that the cards are from the same series, ie 2 x 200 series, 3 x 9000 series etc or you could have problems.
To avoid any doubt just use identical cards.

Also check PSU requirements.

Soldato
Sorry mate I didnt answer your last question about connections.

This is best illustrated by nVidia here

For PSU requirements its a bit tricky, you would need to check the website of the card you buy as to total power needed when using 2 together or more.

For example, I have just pulled this off XFX's website re thier GTX285's -

XFX RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS

* Non-SLI: 630Watt or greater
* SLI: 680Watt or greater

It makes no mention of 3 way though.

Soldato
Sorry mate I didnt answer your last question about connections.

This is best illustrated by nVidia here

For PSU requirements its a bit tricky, you would need to check the website of the card you buy as to total power needed when using 2 together or more.

For example, I have just pulled this off XFX's website re thier GTX285's -

XFX RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS

* Non-SLI: 630Watt or greater
* SLI: 680Watt or greater

It makes no mention of 3 way though.

Thanks halz ive been doing my homework too - i know theres no such thing as "future proof" in the pc world but that evga 4 way sli looks a bit tasty from where i am sat thought the existing q6600 would be pointless so i looked at oc's overclocked bundles and got myself in a right spin - think the best thing to do is phone oc's tommorrow tell them exactly what i want let them give me the ok on compatability etc - from other forum members they seem a friendly bunch and if your ready to spend a good deal of money i dare say they should be lol. I really do appreciate your help and advice especially on the gpu side of things - if im going for the full setup bundle i can justify 1 gtx295 or 2 at a push or could get 4 260's......psssst do you think loudbob would notice if i crept in and stole his old cards while he was making a cuppa :D

Associate
Erm............probably.

On a side note......

4 way SLi is only available on Dual GPU Cards like GTX295's ie 2 cards with 2 GPU's on each card....

Or using the EVGA 4 way SLi Motherboard and 4 x EVGA GTX285 Classifieds.

But the EVGA motherboard is rather large and only 9 or 10 cases will accept it.

Soldato
if im going for the full setup bundle i can justify 1 gtx295 or 2 at a push or could get 4 260's......psssst do you think loudbob would notice if i crept in and stole his old cards while he was making a cuppa :D

At the mere mention of a GTX295 (or 2 :eek:) I think you would most certainly get his attention :D

Edit: dam he's spotted you already :D

At the end of March (?) nVidia release thier new line up of GPU's, this will have a negative effect on the value of all the existing range, would OcUK tell you that, I not sure but its something to think about.

It's been a bit difficult to offer good advice (not that I'm an expert by any means) not knowing your budget but OcUK will give you all the advice you need.

Erm............probably.

On a side note......

4 way SLi is ......................

OMG dont get him going on quad sli :rolleyes: ............when will it end :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

One has wondered about this.

But consider.......

Have you had a look at the retail availability of NVIDIA cards lately?

Especially mid to high end. They seem to be few and far between, so unless people are stock piling them......

I just checked 4 major etailers inc OcUK for GTX260's less than £160 (inc delivery) and found 1 card available.

I think prices may well remain stable for the time being, even after release of Fermi.

Back
Top Bottom