SETI@Home & Projects News Vol. 185 5th October to 12th October 2012

Soldato
OP
3 x triple rads one double thick one thick and one regular plumbing is a nightmare but it will free up some stuff to flog on so its not all bad the only outlay was the rad box :)

Associate
AAArrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

God Dam EVGA!!!!!

Another GPU has bitten the dust!!!!

Four EVGA GPU's in about four weeks - all from different PC's..........this time it's the GTX560Ti 2win......and it's less than three weeks old!!!

Thats the last time I buy anything from EVGA!!!!!!

Last edited:
Associate
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.......

The second 560Ti 2 win has just gone KAPUT!!!

:confused:

:mad:

:(

Will try them in a few of the other PC's later - just in case it is user error...

Soldato
OP
Blimey Mr Loudbob sah your haveing a run of bad luck with those gpu's! I wouldnt let it put you off evga stuff although it might cost an arm n a leg to post stuff back on rma they are generally pretty good with the old customer service.
Hope your luck changes soon :)

Associate
Me hopes so too......

T'is one of the reasons why I 've started purchasing EVGA only GPU's - customer service & RMA procedure - but the cost of returning four GPU's in the last four weeks or so and now another two is just........expensive :(

Beginning to think i'd have been better off buying MSI or Gigabyte (never had an issue with either - other than cooling fans) and if things did go wrong it would be a simple RMA back to OcUK.

Just recieved the replacement 460 & 570 via UPS so everything is up and running again.

I did try the 560's again in different PC's and I must admit - it's the first time I've seen a GPU let sparks fly from the circuit board........

GPU's currently in service:

4 x GTX680's
2 x GTX570 Classified's
2 x GTX570's
2 x GTX480's
2 x GTX460's

S'pose it'll have to do.....

:)

Soldato
Thanks for the news TTB.

As mentioned in another thread, I've been given a new machine at work with an i5 3570, which is now running SETI, CPDN and Rosetta on Fedora linux, should be a nice boost to the stay-at-home E7200.

I'm confused though. As this is a linux GPU-less machine, is there a lunatics app for me? I can't find an optimised linux CPU MB app?

Last edited:
Associate
She is called Andromeda but is only crunching the units she has before retirement and sale:(

IMG_0265.jpg

Way to go Reaver, cant see being in the no.2 cell for long im going down:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well lesson learned, don't update the bios when you only have remote access to the desktop via VNC. :eek:

Good news is that the bios update fixed the 4th gpu not being recognised in Winders.

Bad news is that the office where it and Darkmatter lives is going to close in a few months, so I'm looking for an ultra cheap datacenter where I can colocate half a racks worth of kit.

Which reminds me I think kerrgreg does stuff like that!

Back
Top Bottom