Setting up an AP

Soldato
I've recently bought a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND for use as an AP upstairs in my house as the signal from the kitchen is terrible in the office. The house has CAT6 throughout terminated into a patch panel and router.

I have BT Smart Hub router in the kitchen which is also plugged into the network.

I've set it up in Access Point mode and I've used the same WiFI name and password as the BT router downstairs. I was hoping that any wireless device would just connect to the strongest signal depending where they are in the house. However, all devices now only seem to connect to the TP AP and not the BT Smart Hub.

Is it correct to have the TP router using the same WiFI name and password, or should it be a different one?

Associate
sorry to hijack the thread a bit but similarly, I just bought an additional Netgear Orbi router to use as an AP upstairs.
I set up the 2nd router (connected with an ethernet cable) in access point mode using the same wifi name and password.

I too am unsure if the access point has taken the place of the first router instead of working alongside it to extend the wifi network across the house.

Back
Top Bottom