1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up an úber Linux firewall

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Combat squirrel, 5 Feb 2006.

1. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

as title really, i have an old 1ghz athlon lying around and 128meg of ram, iv read lots and lots about how good linux firewalls are, but i know nothing about it, could someone give me a good linux program to run thats the dogs dangleys and very easy to setup, and im not talking about freesco etc, i want something unhackable

it will hopefully be attached to 5 pc's on the network, i thinking the onboard lan port + 5 pci network cards ( i assume i need one network plug --> in from my broadband router, a netgear dg843, ill be wanting to run everything through linux router instead of that, so ill just use it for its broadband moden it has)

2. tolien

Caporegime

IPCop, Smoothwall, or just set up your own iptables jobby?

No real need for 5 network cards though, a switch with enough ports would be as cheap, and less hassle.

3. Beansprout

Man of Honour

If you put 5 network cards in then you'll get far worse LAN performance than putting the 5 PCs on a switch, and when the firewall PC dies the whole network will die :)

4. -Mike-

Capodecina

Is there a real advantage to a linux firewall instead of using a routers built in one?

5. R4z0r

Mobster

Flexability really.

If you do this I'd highly suggest IPCop (Like has been said) but would offer one bit of advice. Get a range real IP addresses from your ISP so you can give the firewall a real IP and let the Netgear take care of the routing. Saves you messing about with DMZ/port-forwarding, etc on the Netgear.