setting up for x360 live

Associate
OP
My PC is around one year old, its a shop built one, and i don't think it has the ethernet port, can't see anything that resembles a phone point anyway:)

I didnt know about the network section on here, thanks, i'll head over there and try and gain some knowledge.

Permabanned
bruce said:
My PC is around one year old, its a shop built one, and i don't think it has the ethernet port, can't see anything that resembles a phone point anyway:)

I didnt know about the network section on here, thanks, i'll head over there and try and gain some knowledge.

I will be astounded if there is no ethernet port on the back of a 1 year old machine.

Anychance of a photo of the back of your machine?

Associate
OP
Lo0ol...I think you may be right mate, i hope you are anyway, there is a connection that i have'nt used before or recognise so it could be that. I don't have a digital camera so unable to get a pic for you.

Cheers for all your help anyway, its always a great place this for getting advice. ;)

Permabanned
bruce said:
Lo0ol...I think you may be right mate, i hope you are anyway, there is a connection that i have'nt used before or recognise so it could be that. I don't have a digital camera so unable to get a pic for you.

Cheers for all your help anyway, its always a great place this for getting advice. ;)

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ethernet+port&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Google image search for ethernet port should help you confirm if it is the right port.

Associate
OP
Lol class man...

Yeah it looks like i do have one after all :D Its part of the motherboard, i just didn't realise what it was...

Now to save up the Cash to buy the stuff i need, next pay day could be gettin bashed !

one linksys router and a wireless adapter and some kind of subscription to xbox live...oh and erm a headset...gonna be an expensive month again !

Permabanned
keep an eye out for cheapo subscriptions. Sometimes you can get a years live for around £20 by buying a game :confused: I bought PGR2 for the old xbox and it came with 1 years xbox live, 1 headset for the old xbox and the game for around £20.

Whilst you're waiting it would be a good time to familiarise yourself with articles on setting up wireless routers.
It is genuinely ever so easy but has a tendency to baffle you with science and lots of acronyms : WEP, SSID, MAC address, IP and so on.

Associate
OP
Will Do...

One more thing, you mentioned the live pack with a game/headset for the old xbox, would this headset be ok to use with the 360?

Associate
gord said:
Your cheapest option is getting a network crossover cable and using Internet Connection Sharing.. as mentioned though you have to be connected to the net with the pc on in order to use XBL. You might have to buy another network card though..

I have this working as my setup, it was really easy.

Permabanned
bruce said:
Will Do...

One more thing, you mentioned the live pack with a game/headset for the old xbox, would this headset be ok to use with the 360?

I believe that the old headset can be butchered to work with the 360 controllers, I am not sure whether they swapped the pinouts around on the jack plug or if it is a different sized jack or what.
Afaik you can get an aftermarket headset for about a tenner.

Associate
OP
VIRII said:
Linksys WAG354G 4-Port Wireless-G Broadband Router (NW-044-LS)

- ADSL2+ Modem, Internet-sharing Router, 4-Port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point in one box
- High-speed ADSL2+ Modem gives you a fast, "Always On" connection to the Internet
-Connect your home PCs using the built-in Wireless-G Access Point or to the 4-port Ethernet Switch
- Advanced Firewall, Content Filtering and Security features protect your PCs, your data, and your family

You'll also need to connect your 360 to the network either with a long cat5 cable or with the MS wireless adapter.

Will this product work in the same way as a MS wireless adapter do you know...
LINKSYS - 54MBPS WIRELESS-G USB NETWORK ADAPTER
I'll be getting this free with this router, if its no good i'll just sell it on...

Save me a packet if it does the same job though...

Permabanned
bruce said:
Will this product work in the same way as a MS wireless adapter do you know...
LINKSYS - 54MBPS WIRELESS-G USB NETWORK ADAPTER
I'll be getting this free with this router, if its no good i'll just sell it on...

Save me a packet if it does the same job though...

I don't think the USB wireless dongles wil work, but by all means try it.

Back
Top Bottom