Setting up my Fujitsu FDX310 Modem with Redhat 8.0...Help!

Associate
Right, being a omplete linux n00b have now got it running (YAY!!) but i was given this link http://dsl-linux.tripod.com/index/ to get the drivers for my Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL Modem, i have downloaded the tar file but thats all i can manage, how do i do those inructions on that page?

Can someone please explain this a bit better so that even me, a lowly linux n00b can understand it and carrie it out.

thanx in advance

NS

Ben

Ben

Associate
okay using a shell, goto where you downloaded them and do the following...

Code:
tar xvf fdx310-linux-01.tar

that should create a directory, most likely fdx310-linux-01, so change into that directory:

Code:
cd fdx310-linux-01

Associate
OP
Sorry for my n00bie qestions but.... how do i get to a shell?, all i know is that im running Redhat 8 using gnome, the driver is stored on a floppy disk, i dont even know how to access the hard drive from redhat

Man of Honour
There shoulde be a console icon on the taskbar it might look something like this
Background-Foot.png
maybe not exactly but similar. If your really can't find hit ctrl-alt-backspace :)

Vai

Vai

Soldato
It is fairly easy to set up these drivers, as said tar zxvf them, and go into the directory, do the

make

make install

Then cd to /usr/local/bin which is where it is installed to.

Instead of manually editing the adsl + chap-secrets files just use the

makeconfig <Login name> <password> /usr/local/bin/pppoeci <ISP DNS 1> <ISP DNS 2> 0 38

command, to set up the config files, though it is also a good idea to double check the files are correct (/etc/ppp/peers/adsl + /etc/ppp/chap-secrets)

After this run /usr/local/bin/eci-doctor.sh (which what it is for me not the ./eci-doctor in the manual)

Which will log you onto the internet :)

In future you need to use the /usr/local/bin/startmodem command to log on, though sometimes I need to do this twice, once for the modem to sync up, a second time for it to log on.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Vai
It is fairly easy to set up these drivers, as said tar zxvf them, and go into the directory, do the

Then cd to /usr/local/bin which is where it is installed to.

Instead of manually editing the adsl + chap-secrets files just use the

command, to set up the config files, though it is also a good idea to double check the files are correct (/etc/ppp/peers/adsl + /etc/ppp/chap-secrets)

After this run /usr/local/bin/eci-doctor.sh (which what it is for me not the ./eci-doctor in the manual)

Which will log you onto the internet :)

In future you need to use the /usr/local/bin/startmodem command to log on, though sometimes I need to do this twice, once for the modem to sync up, a second time for it to log on.

I have done the

Make

but i cannot run the

Make install

it gives a permission denied message, is this because im logged in as me and not root?

Associate
OP
logged in as root and did what vai said and... i get this come up

YOU ARE USING LINUX KERNEL VERSION 2.4.18-14
SUPPORT FOR USB IS OK
PRELIMINARY USB DEVICE FILESYSTEM IS OK
UHCI SUPPORT IS OK
/DEV/PPP IS OK
HDLC SUPPORT IS OK
HDLC SUPPORT IS OK (NO BUG)
DABUSB MODULE IS NOT LOADED: OK
I CANNOT FIND YOUR USB MODEM: FATAL

i have check the modem conectivity (it works in windows so i know ts connected) but am now stuck please help me :D

Man of Honour
Open up a terminal and type the following, but before you do so type ls -A in the /usr/src/linux directory and make a backup of the file .config if it's there. if not don;t worry
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
Once in there you should be presented with a funky menu, drop down the menu to the USB submenu and take a looksee in there, I think theres an option for USB modems.

Associate
OP
ok, will give that a go, thanx mpemba, I ave found the device liting in redhat and under the system devices it shows a globespan usb adsl modem which can onlu be the fuji one, so if it can see it cold the error be down to me running redhat 8 or somthing?

Man of Honour
Erh yeah ... possiblily :D ... lol sorry not very helpful but ... I haven't really connected a USB modem to linux before :p ... do you get any insightful messages at bootup. Type
Code:
dmesg
and look for any signs of your modem and post it up.

Associate
OP
Well... it nearly worked, it sees the modem now (i changed the port it was in) and i can run that eci-doctor.sh but i get the following

You are using linux kernel version 2.4.18-14
Support for USB is OK
Preliminary USB device filesystem is OK
UHCI support is OK
/dev/ppp is OK
HDLC support is OK
HDLC support is OK (no bug)
dabusb module is not loaded: OK
pppd version 2.4.1
You are using pppd version (untested)
You have an /etc/ppp/options file. Options in this file may conflict with
options from /etc/ppp/peers/adsl. We suggest to remove this file or make a
backup copy.
No existing PPP connection... trying to make one (please wait)
using channel 5
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x721850fe>]
Script /usr/local/bin/pppoeci -vpi 0 -vci 38 finished (pid 2038), status = 0x0
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
PPP: very bad ... usermode driver just crashed
Nov 27 13:49:21 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

any ideas?

Man of Honour
Take a look in that adsl file it got to be there for a reason ... it's proberbly some sort of script ... which need modifying for your particular ISP? .. not sure. Also isn't there supposed to be some sort of pap or chap authenication filey-migigan as well?

edit: take a look at this site http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/doc.php?lang=en this is apparently where those drivers were developed

Last edited:
Associate
OP
after checking that site and translating the frech forums to english it seems a lot of people are having trouble getting it working in Redhat 8, are there any other versions of linux i could try that are easy to set up and have the excellent boot loader screen redhat has (i found that VERY easy to set up to dual with Windows XP)

Back
Top Bottom