Setting up Pi-hole

maj

maj

Soldato
I now have Vodafone as ISP and their router allows the DNS server to be changed. However if I manually set the DNS to be my pi-hole address in DNS settings I get no internet. DHCP is OFF and DNS is ON in pi-hole admin config. If I set DNS to auto config I can ping google (and browse web) but as soon as I put pihole as DNS server I can't do either.

What am I doing wrong?

maj

maj

Soldato
What's 192.168.1.4? your pi-hole? just try Google ECS for the upstream DNS. Your network should work no problem with them settings.

Yeah that's my pi-hole. Just tried changing to Google as upstream but no joy (had to revert back to automatic DNS to post this).

maj

maj

Soldato
It's worth setting both the primary and secondary to point to the same address (rather than leaving blank), have had it with some routers/devices that don't respect a blank dns entry

Was worth a try but sadly the router doesn't allow me to have it in twice, as both primary and secondary.

maj

maj

Soldato
give us the ifconfig of your centos install plz. You haven't got the firewall turned on at all have you on centos?

Think I'm sorted now. The gateway on CentOS was wrong as it was configured for the gateway before I moved ISP. Everything seems to be working now.

Will have to check the other VMs that I have now that I know what it is. Thanks for the help.

maj

maj

Soldato
So since setting DNS as my pihole in router I noticed that the only client reporting to pihole was the router itself. Whilst pihole is working in the intended way I do like to know what a specific device is trying to get onto (preferably by its hostname).

Presumably this is my setup:

Device -> router -> pihole -> internet

I found a suggestion online to turn off DNS/DHCP on the router, enable it on pihole instead and have the upstream dns as the router. This is similar to how it was configured before I was able to manually specific a DNS server in router settings. Whilst I know that way works I'd rather just have pihole doing DNS rather than DHCP as well.

I thought I'd try setting DNS as pihole in the router but then putting conditional forwarding on to point back to my router. This just results in the router being the only client talking to pihole.

Is there a right way to do what I'm trying to achieve?

Soldato
^^^

On your clients from the first screenshot the Router is set as DNS. All queries go to the router and are forwarded on to the Pi-Hole.

On your DHCP server change the client DNS to go directly to Pi-Hole.

Don
I thought I'd try setting DNS as pihole in the router but then putting conditional forwarding on to point back to my router. This just results in the router being the only client talking to pihole.

Not sure why you need conditional forwarding back to the router?

Is there a right way to do what I'm trying to achieve?

Should be as easy as setting the Pihole DNS as the DNS address given out by the Routers DHCP Server.

I think the biggest stumbling block in your setup is your Vodafone router. From the above screenshots, I'm not sure that DNS page on the router is actually the one that affects DHCP, looks more like what DNS server should the router use for internet queries (in which case setting it to Auto for ISP provided, or 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 for Google DNS).

If you could post a screenshot of the LAN and/or DHCP pages from the Router might help.

What you want is definitely possible, as it's how my setup at home works.

Soldato
I think the biggest stumbling block in your setup is your Vodafone router. From the above screenshots, I'm not sure that DNS page on the router is actually the one that affects DHCP, looks more like what DNS server should the router use for internet queries (in which case setting it to Auto for ISP provided, or 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 for Google DNS).

ipconfig /all shows his windows client is using the router as the DNS and now the router is forwarding queries to the Pi-hole. As you say he'll need to make changes on the DHCP page to point the clients directly to the Pi-Hole.

With the current setup Pi-hole is working but he doesn't see queries from individual clients. Seeing individual clients in the logs is more useful than just the router but you can't block domains to individual clients, domains are blocked for all or none.

maj

maj

Soldato
Thanks for the help so far.

Here's my DHCP settings. Everything is set as it is by default:

Ny2ig6G.jpg

jIWqBm5.jpg

And I did wonder why despite setting DNS as pihole in router, why it is still 1.1 in ipconfig which is the router.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I recently re-setup Pi-hole on an unused Pi. Seems things have moved on over the past 6-12 months.

I'm bringing to wonder what the point is in DNS blockers. If it's to avoid ads, google and other organisations are serving ads from the main content domain now, so your google search or youtube videos will still be littered by ads.
I set up pi-hole for the first time yesterday, Ubuntu server, all dns routed through it from all clients. I have very quickly realised that although this is a nice product with a nice interface, it is largely pointless to the point that it has no real benefit in our household.

Desktops and phones (browsing): software ad blockers are better, more granular, can exclude websites temporarily and quickly within the browser plugin, etc, and more importantly performing dpi to block embedded video adverts on YouTube.

smart TVs: (my main want) it has almost no effect as the vendors all serve advert content from the same source as the content.

id love someone to explain how to make the product useful as I do like it :p

Soldato
My Pihole happily blocks Samsung TV dross. I had to download a specific block list though so have a Google. I have too many devices with various interfaces to be bothering with setting up ad blockers individually even if it’s possible. Pihole is pretty much a fire and forget solution.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My Pihole happily blocks Samsung TV dross. I had to download a specific block list though so have a Google. I have too many devices with various interfaces to be bothering with setting up ad blockers individually even if it’s possible. Pihole is pretty much a fire and forget solution.
Are you saying that on your Samsung smart tv you see no youtube adverts?

Back
Top Bottom