Setting up Pi-hole

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
What did you download and what custom setup did you do? Pi-Hole cannot do that out of the box and i am sure many would appreciate it! My son watches loads of youtube via a TV and it is infuriating seeing the adverts. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Just tried this again and brought the pothole back into the network for all devices, updated all block lists (default but all selected) and our smart TVs very much still play adverts. The issue is that the adverts are embedded from the same dns source, so the pi-hole naturally doesn’t see them at all, just passes them through as content.

Im running it anyway as a catchall for phone and desktop browsing, but it’s such a shame that it can’t catch YouTube as this was the main aim :(

I don’t understand how you’ve got no ads appearing, blue cube. There are big projects on reddit which are failing to achieve that...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Added to this I mainly watch YouTube on desktop and iPhone/iPad, both of which run local adblockers which are 100% effective against youtube. It’s just my son with the smart tv really, so definitely not worth it. very annoying!

Soldato
Just tried this again and brought the pothole back into the network for all devices, updated all block lists (default but all selected) and our smart TVs very much still play adverts. The issue is that the adverts are embedded from the same dns source, so the pi-hole naturally doesn’t see them at all, just passes them through as content.

Im running it anyway as a catchall for phone and desktop browsing, but it’s such a shame that it can’t catch YouTube as this was the main aim :(

I don’t understand how you’ve got no ads appearing, blue cube. There are big projects on reddit which are failing to achieve that...

Apologies for the late response - just noticed your post. There’s been a bit of a mix up as you’ve guessed. Pi-hole blocks ads for the Samsung TV Hub and stops the TV constantly contacting the Samsung servers with viewing telemetry. I had to add additional block lists to achieve this which was very easy to do but I did it so long ago I can’t remember where the lists came from. I’m sure it was on Github.

So no, YouTube ads are not blocked nor are any ads within other apps.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Apologies for the late response - just noticed your post. There’s been a bit of a mix up as you’ve guessed. Pi-hole blocks ads for the Samsung TV Hub and stops the TV constantly contacting the Samsung servers with viewing telemetry. I had to add additional block lists to achieve this which was very easy to do but I did it so long ago I can’t remember where the lists came from. I’m sure it was on Github.

So no, YouTube ads are not blocked nor are any ads within other apps.
Makes sense :) I ended up just signing up to YT premium after reading that you can get family for 189r/month in India (Geo-locates to the UK without an issue and presents the same as any other signup). Mildly annoying but oh so nice seeing no adverts.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Pi hole will not block YouTube video adverts, see extensive discussion above. Your pc is using a software ad blocker if you are not seeing YouTube ads. :)

change the dns at your router and all of your devices will point at the pi hole

Soldato
The DNS on the phones should be set to the piHole. Ideally you should set up your router to use the piHole as it's DNS and this will be automatically handed out to anything connecting to the router.

Soldato
The DNS on the phones should be set to the piHole. Ideally you should set up your router to use the piHole as it's DNS and this will be automatically handed out to anything connecting to the router.
i have, my pi hole is set to be the dns, not my router and as i said, all my connected laptops and computers, windows/linux/macOS all work and dont show any ads at all mate without messing about with custom dns settings etc etc on them. even youtube ads are blocked mate.

Iits simply on my android phones its not

Infact check this out.

everyone is having same issue https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/pihole-is-not-blocking-ads-on-my-android-phone/6301 after a quick google!!!!

Soldato
Using pihole with my mobile fine. It doesn't block YouTube app adverts but browser ads are blocked.

Wouldn't be without one now. Was doing some reading up on how to vpn from the phone to the pihole while outside the network. Anyone doing this?

Back
Top Bottom