Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
Pi hole will not block youtube ads. You have something else doing that.
The thread you linked is old. Since then youtube have started delivering adds as part of the stream.
They can be blocked with fancy software and scripting tools but not via DNS based blocking (pihole) as this would just block the video as well.
I would imagine that most of your devices have browser based add blocking stuff instaled but your android device does not.
The solution in that (old) thread was also that the pihole was not being used as the DNS.

The easiest way to use pihole is to have everything in your house connect directly to your router.
Setup your router so that its primary dns is your pihole and its secondary DNS is anything else (google or opendns etc).
Then with the pihole config, you pick the dns it will use (google or opendns etc).
You pick a secondary dns (google or opendns etc).
Then you grab some block lists and whitelist some important stuff.

If you are super bothered about getting 100% add blocking do not set the secondary DNS on your router (or also set it to the pihole),
but you will loose your internet if your pie dies, is rebooting or your devices refuse to use the PI hole IP as a DNS.

PI-Hole is designed to be run on every model of the PI and it will work in all cases but your mileage will vary depending on what model you have and how lucky your purchase was.
Not all pies are created equaly.
The brand / spec of SD card you run off has a massive impact with some dieing within days.
Lots of the older pies cannot cope with the throughput, over heat and lockup.
A zero will work fine as long as you are not doing anything else heavy with the pie.
The newer PIEs will happily run raspbian, kodi, torrent client and pihole all at the same time, just do not use the SD card for storage. Get a USB disk or something.
a lot of the older pies do not like using ethernet and USB at the same time. It slows down, heats up and dies.

Soldato
I've got 2 instances of Pi-Hole (one on a Pi, the other on an Ubuntu VM) so I'll update the one that's getting less use.

Edit - I've actually got 3 instances, I run one as a VM to provide DNS and DHCP to a couple of VM's I'm running on Hyper-V on my laptop. I'll snapshot that VM and if the upgrade does belly up then it's a doddle to revert.

Last edited:
Soldato
- I've actually got 3 instances, I run one as a VM to provide DNS and DHCP to a couple of VM's I'm running on Hyper-V on my laptop. I'll snapshot that VM and if the upgrade does belly up then it's a doddle to revert.

I have two instances one running on an old intel atom netbook and the other on a VM, will do the VM first and see how that goes before I do the Netbook (netbook is primary VM is secondary).

Soldato
I've upgraded my Hyper-V VM and everything is working just fine.

At present I'm serving a local DNS zone for my home kit through a manual addition into the dnsmasq config, I'll change that on the instances that are in use at home and use the 'Local DNS Records' within the GUI.

Soldato
Local DNS Records section looks useful (as previously had to hand edit a file to direct traffic to my local LanCache)

Yep, ditto.

To save me manually entering the records into the GUI I coped the file I was using to 'custom.list' and edited the file to the desired format (which is ipaddress <space> FQDN). Then I removed the dnsmasq config I'd added and finally restarted pihole-FTL.

Soldato
Just updated on a ubuntu server VM, "sudo pihole -up". Took a couple of mins.

The server.port in /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf reverted back to 80.

Change this if running on another port and restart "sudo /etc/init.d/lighttpd restart"

Caporegime
Will it work on 1st gen pi model b?
Or pi zero+w?

I'm running it on a pi zero w, seems happy enough.

iOxQsEa.png

Updated to 5 today, no problems on either my Pi4 or Zero. The flush network table feature is handy too, as mine was a bit of a mess after changing things around and there was no easy way of cleaning it.

I've added the ticked lists from here https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php - the only thing it's broken so far is google forms.

Soldato
Yep, ditto.

To save me manually entering the records into the GUI I coped the file I was using to 'custom.list' and edited the file to the desired format (which is ipaddress <space> FQDN). Then I removed the dnsmasq config I'd added and finally restarted pihole-FTL.
is this working for you? I have done the same but its not showing the local addresses on the web page.

Back
Top Bottom