Settlers - 10th Anniversary

Soldato
ok, having played the demo I can see a fair few faults with it.

[Rant]

a) roads, WHY CAN ONLY ONE CARRER WORK ON EACH STRETCH?

this makes it REALY slow building things and brings me to point b

b) unable to prioitise builds,

if your expanding and want to build some guard houses, but also want a woodcutter and quarry along the way BUT WANT THE GUARD HOUSE TO BE FINISHED FIRST theres nothing you can do, you can't set them all building and put the guard house on priotiy (like you could in S4) so you have to wait while they evenly distrubte all the building materials between the 3-4-5 buildings you have running at once.

c) the interface.

I don't know if its because I'm left handed or what, but when I try to change the priotiy of whats being moved (and you need to unless you want nothing but iron ore and coal to be moved) it DOESN'T MOVE! it still thinks your trying to change your view so moves that ASWELL, but because your curser doesn't change position (stays cental) the icons CANNOT BE MOVED. This is a biggy, it realy ****** me off trying to fix the order or things and being unable.

d) Quantitys

Back in S4 each building told you how much stock it had, how much raw materials and how much produced goods. nothing like this in the demo, everything gets "moved" straight off, either towards a building site or to a storehouse.

e) Geolgists

why can't I make 5 geologists and set them about looking for deposits where I want them, why have I got to put a flag at one place and then leave the one guy doing it?

f) Pionears (or lack there of)

why no Pionears? seems stupid not to include them, also why are the bounderys some weird hexaganal shape rather than the original rounded ones?

g)unable to select troops,

if I'm attacking I want to be able to dump AS MENY TROOPS AS I LIKE at that site, I don't want to have to use your stupid "attack" interface, do you want to use 1, 2, 3, 4....8 troops, do you want to send your strongest troops in first, do you do you do you? what happend to my bowmen? what happened to being able to CONTROL the comabat a bit? why do they attack then STAND THERE when one of them has killed the other side? IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING TO DO THEN GET WITH THE HELPING ANOTHER GUY KILL HIS TARGET!

I'm also not liking the whole hands off aproach it has towards the army, your setlers (no houses? where do they come from then?) I just don't understand why they changed so much (for the worse) atm the only think I can see thats better about the VS S4 (the last one I played) is the graphics, and even then they screwed up the viewing thing oh yeah

h) why the HELL does it reset my VIEW every time I try and alter it?

if I wanted to be left with the DEFAULT view I'D HAVE SODDING WELL LEFT IT THAT WAY, whats the point in being able to change view if it just goes BACK when you let go of the mouse?

it seems to me like they have taken a realy good idea for the progession of the game as a whole and just messed with it WAY too much.

[/rant]

Associate
VeNT said:
ok, having played the demo I can see a fair few faults with it.

a) roads, WHY CAN ONLY ONE CARRER WORK ON EACH STRETCH?

this makes it REALY slow building things and brings me to point b

b) unable to prioitise builds,

if your expanding and want to build some guard houses, but also want a woodcutter and quarry along the way BUT WANT THE GUARD HOUSE TO BE FINISHED FIRST theres nothing you can do, you can't set them all building and put the guard house on priotiy (like you could in S4) so you have to wait while they evenly distrubte all the building materials between the 3-4-5 buildings you have running at once.

IIRC in S2 (and S3) you can halt the construction of a building to allow other sites to receive the materials it needs first. It's all about timing your building with what resources you have; if you start constructing 5 or 6 buildings at a time there will come when construction will bog down. It's always been like this.

VeNT said:
c) the interface.

I don't know if its because I'm left handed or what, but when I try to change the priotiy of whats being moved (and you need to unless you want nothing but iron ore and coal to be moved) it DOESN'T MOVE! it still thinks your trying to change your view so moves that ASWELL, but because your curser doesn't change position (stays cental) the icons CANNOT BE MOVED. This is a biggy, it realy ****** me off trying to fix the order or things and being unable.

Hmm sounds like a bug to me, hopefully it'll be fixed in time for release. Although I seem to remember in previous versions that the order of materials to be moved was altered using up and down arrow buttons, as opposed to dragging the icons. If that was the method used in S4 then fair enough; I haven't played it that much 'cos it was pap :p

VeNT said:
d) Quantitys

Back in S4 each building told you how much stock it had, how much raw materials and how much produced goods. nothing like this in the demo, everything gets "moved" straight off, either towards a building site or to a storehouse.

This might be a good idea; it used to be that production buildings would produce 8 items of whatever they produce and then stop, until their produce starts being used up. If you then have a sudden need for loads of wood, for example, you'll have to wait until the sawmill operator gets his backside into gear and produce some more. By moving it into the storehouse you might be able to accumulate a greater supply of produce ready for any building sites you may start.

VeNT said:
e) Geolgists

why can't I make 5 geologists and set them about looking for deposits where I want them, why have I got to put a flag at one place and then leave the one guy doing it?

I agree here; maybe a bit too much micro-management of the geologists for my liking.

VeNT said:
f) Pionears (or lack there of)

why no Pionears? seems stupid not to include them, also why are the bounderys some weird hexaganal shape rather than the original rounded ones?

I can't remember if pioneers existed in S2, just the geologists and scouts. Expanding your borders were purely actioned by building towers and castles.

VeNT said:
g)unable to select troops,

if I'm attacking I want to be able to dump AS MENY TROOPS AS I LIKE at that site, I don't want to have to use your stupid "attack" interface, do you want to use 1, 2, 3, 4....8 troops, do you want to send your strongest troops in first, do you do you do you? what happend to my bowmen? what happened to being able to CONTROL the comabat a bit? why do they attack then STAND THERE when one of them has killed the other side? IF YOU'VE GOT NOTHING TO DO THEN GET WITH THE HELPING ANOTHER GUY KILL HIS TARGET!

Military was never the strongest feature of the Settlers series, rather it just works in a different way. We're maybe too used to playing titles such as Medieval Total War. I've just learned to accept it for what it is.

VeNT said:
I'm also not liking the whole hands off aproach it has towards the army, your setlers (no houses? where do they come from then?) I just don't understand why they changed so much (for the worse) atm the only think I can see thats better about the VS S4 (the last one I played) is the graphics, and even then they screwed up the viewing thing oh yeah

Why, the HQ of course. S3 introduced 'houses' and lodgings where you could gain more settlers depending on the size of the lodging you build and I don't think these were a feature of S2.

VeNT said:
h) why the HELL does it reset my VIEW every time I try and alter it?

if I wanted to be left with the DEFAULT view I'D HAVE SODDING WELL LEFT IT THAT WAY, whats the point in being able to change view if it just goes BACK when you let go of the mouse?

To be honest, I don't see how you can play this game effectively in anything other than the default view. In fact I really don't see the point in changing it. Maybe it's because they started using a full 3D world they thought they had better try and make more use of it and show it off a bit more; sod that, give me back the charming 2D world with lush graphics without all these arty-farty polygons :cool:

VeNT said:
it seems to me like they have taken a realy good idea for the progession of the game as a whole and just messed with it WAY too much.

It seems to me that the majority of your Settlers experience has come from playing the later titles, whereas I'd urge you to play through S2 to get a feel for how it was back in the day. I'm going to have a good ram through the demo tonight, but from what I have played so far I love it and will be buying it. Yes there are niggles, but they can be ironed out before release.

Associate
VeNT said:
re point #1 you can't halt the buildings, you just have to leave them going.

Oh really? :(

In that case then yeah I can see how that would be annoying. It's going to mean keeping a closer eye on your resources versus needs - too many constructions are going to slow your advance pretty effectively.

Soldato
VeNT said:
re point #1 you can't halt the buildings, you just have to leave them going.
You certainly could in the original, by click on the board next to the house IIRC. If you can't now, then just disconnect the house flag from the road network. Bingo.

As for your other rants, as elkdanger says, you seem to only have played Settlers from 3 onwards. Trust me S2 is a far far far better game than any of those - but it is very different. Don't forget, they haven't changed anything in this release, its better looking version of the originals ;)

The 'only one guy on a road' thing, its a thing of beauty, work with it, not against it... and later you get donkeys anyway which help out. ;)

Soldato
Talk about nostalgia!!!! :) It took me back to the days when I played Settlers II on my 133Mhz Gateway machine!

I can't wait for the full game to be released (I hope it will be released, I voted and it showed over 90% of 3000 votes to release it in the UK) :)

Anyone able to try and get rid of the time limit? :p

Associate
VaderDSL said:
Ummm ... I have a patch that removes the time limit ... is it illegal for me to post it on here?

I would have said so - I would imagine it modifies original copyrighted code and could fall under the 'no cd-rom crack' umbrella :(

Still haven't had a proper play of it; hopefully will do tonight. Any news on whether or not it will be released in the UK? I notice the poll had an awful lot of positive responses last time I checked.

Soldato
Ahh the memories keep flooding back :)

I love S2 because it doesn't look like much but the strategies are quite hard to manage. For example you continually need to keep moving your woodcutters/foresters/sawmills with your border, and you need to keep the farm areas clear of trees and buildings :D

Damn I could spend hours rearranging my roads hehe

Back
Top Bottom