Settlers - 10th Anniversary

Caporegime
Bit of a thread resurrection but I first heard about this today, duly downloaded the game and then it keeps crashing (completely freezing my computer), I think it may be due to sound issues. Anyone else had similar problems?

Time limit on the demo sucks, but it looks very promising, made me almost dewy eyed in rememberence and the widescreen support is cool. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
Bit of a thread resurrection but I first heard about this today, duly downloaded the game and then it keeps crashing (completely freezing my computer), I think it may be due to sound issues. Anyone else had similar problems?

Time limit on the demo sucks, but it looks very promising, made me almost dewy eyed in rememberence and the widescreen support is cool. :)
yeah I had that, forget how I got around it tho :(
oh wait, I didn't I just stopped playing the demo

Commissario
I remember playing the original Settlers 2 on my trusty 486, it was great fun :)

I never really liked the later ones, they tended to take away some of the control you had in 2 :)

/adds another game to his "must buy" list.

Soldato
Werewolf said:
I remember playing the original Settlers 2 on my trusty 486, it was great fun :)

I never really liked the later ones, they tended to take away some of the control you had in 2 :)

I loved the Settlers 2 on my 133Mhz Gateway machine, and htis game is exactly the same gameplay but with nicer gfx ... definitely buying this when it comes out.

Soldato
Werewolf said:

it wouldn't work on my oliveti 386 :(

worked on the 486 DX that I got next tho!!

Commissario
aye, i'm getting the demo now :)

One of the things i liked about the early ones was the way you had to be pretty carefull about where you placed roads, a comprimise between getting the fastest transport of goods in busy areas (no overly long stretches as only one man and later donkey could work each stretch), and land to build on.
I used to have some great 4-6 lane highways between really busy major areas at times (until storehouses etc had been built to ease the strain).

[edit]
Just found it to pre-order on one sight, as both a PC and a DS versions????

Soldato
Make sure you get CoH over this, need as many OcUK'ers online and active as possible!

Does this look to be a good one to jump in the series on?

Winter coming so time to stock up on some games.

Having never played any of them (yes I know) I am not sure if this is just a game for fans of the 2nd one or not. :confused:

Soldato
Yewen said:
Make sure you get CoH over this, need as many OcUK'ers online and active as possible!

Having never played any of them (yes I know) I am not sure if this is just a game for fans of the 2nd one or not. :confused:

Hahaha, yes it does Yewen. Despite incarnations 3+4, number 2 is still far and away the best, most charming one of the lot. Its not to everyones tastes as essentially its a 10year old game, but its a marvellous little distraction to play when you've got a few hours free, and I wasted many hours on the 2 level demo I got in 1995 and also on a downloaded version I got (mmm...naughty) of the gold edition after it became abandonware (which doesnt run on my system now :( ) But yeah, awesome games, and somewhere along the lines, if it turns out they haven't killed it in the conversion, I will get one or both of these, if nothing else for the memories. You dont directly control your units, but you influence them in everything they do...very godlike, as you're not directly intervening...

Soldato
Yewen said:

CoH? I hate it when everyone uses acronyms I don't know :(

As for this Settlers 2 - this is a game for everyone, not just the fans. It definitely isn't one of those games you 'remember' as being fantastic, but when you go back to it, it's not so good... oh no, its sheer class all the way through. I still play the original from time to time.

Commissario
PanMaster said:
In S2 there were donkeys too once the roads became paved.

The secret was to click send geologist repeatedly to send more than one.

This is pointless when resources are moved so quickly from the HQ.

You need a donkey farm though to get enough to be any good.
I tend to try and build one early on as it speeds things up no end.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
MadFruit said:
CoH? I hate it when everyone uses acronyms I don't know :(

As for this Settlers 2 - this is a game for everyone, not just the fans. It definitely isn't one of those games you 'remember' as being fantastic, but when you go back to it, it's not so good... oh no, its sheer class all the way through. I still play the original from time to time.

Company of Heroes

Back
Top Bottom