SFF GTX 750 ti, low profile, single (ish) slot mod

Associate
@Calibre41 Could you help me with dimensions?

I intend to install the same MSI GTX 750 Ti in the same case but I would like to do it differently.

I want to cut from the heatsink to make room for a low profile fan, or alternatively take one fan from the existing 750 ti cooler, depending how tall it is and how much I can cut from the heatsink.

So my question is: What is the height and the width of the heatsink? In mm if possible. And if you still got the original fans from your 750, what is the height of the fans?

Thank you in advance.

Any other suggestions/opinions about what I'm trying to do are very much welcomed.

Regards,
Andrew.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you Calibre41 for sharing your awesomely well-designed mod!

After my gtx 750 ti mod in a Streacom F7C Evo case,
HVo03Ey.jpg 2RPZiXy.jpg AU8xU7g.jpg

i decided to upgrade to the MSI GTX 1050 TI that i would like to modify like your V2 design but with a radial blower from Ebm Papst. It should look like the Quadro K1200 design.
oKRFsO8.jpg D7GNWB0.jpg

So far, i have removed the DVI port, cutted the low profile bracket from dual to single slot, removed the fan to check if it will fit in the case.
ge55oMv.jpg YH51Ijk.jpg

Is it possible to share your 3D model so i can modify it for my own project?

@andreyu30

Here are the dimensions from my heatsink: 133x51x22mm.
The heigth of the fans is 10mm.

Last edited:
Associate
Too little too late. Did the mod anyway and found, the hard way, why is not good to cut from a heat sink. After 10 sec in furmark the card was at 90 degrees and still going up. Heat sink was too small to dissipate any heat. Bought a Gainward GT430 and took the heat sink fans assembly and funny enough it matched the mounting holes, but still couldn't keep the temps under 90. Don't really understand why. then I did an insane mod (pictures attached) but still didn't worked.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/Puscasu_Andrei/20170318_195408_zps7cfsymi7.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/Puscasu_Andrei/20170318_195414_zpsbldzxhsv.jpg

So basically I gave up, don't know if it's the GPU with problems or it's just not enough space in the case or the heat sink still too small.

Last edited:
Associate
@andreyu30
90°C is not a problem (max is 100°C), i played hours on gtaV with my modded gtx 750 ti under 98°C (fan 100%)and it's still running fine (but i know it's not ideal).
GT430 tdp is 50w, gtx750ti tdp is 60w, the vantec iceberq 4 cooler i used was designed for radeon 9800 pro (tdp is 47w), but it's work!
So i believe that the problem is the airflow, it's why V3 design from Calibre41 is really well thought out in this dell case.
It takes fresh air from within the case, pass trough the cooler and push hot air out the back of the case.

Associate
@bat09
Totally agree with that. I got another fan left from the original 750Ti heat sink and I'll try to do something with that. Somewhere close to calibre's design. Need air flowing, not staying in the same area. I'm thinking to make some holes in the side panel where the GPU is and I would add a 10 mm width fan but there is not enough clearance for that.

Thank you for getting back to me. Cheers.

Associate
Associate
@andreyu30
Maybe you could mod this hd6670 rad to match the gtx750ti mounting holes.
But the fan will be against psu so you will still have the airflow problem.
If it's not working, maybe a solution would be to replace the psu by a pico-psu and external 12V DC power adapter so you will have more room for the gpu.
SFF modding isn't easy...

Associate
Great to see this mod. 750ti is a real beast considering it doesn't even need an extra PCI-E 6-8 pin power connector for some models. New lease of life.

Associate
OP
bat09, andreyu30 SOOOO sorry, ive not been getting notification through!!!!

The MSI gtx 1050ti is WAY WAY WAY longer than their 750 and its a different cooler so my cooler won't really fit!

** No Trading outside of the MM ** and grabbing a 6gb 1060 which is roughly 3 times quicker than the 750ti and only about £75 more than a low profile 1050ti - I happen to have a load of liquid cooling kit that was destined for this SFF case, but also - it is no more, SFF just doesn't hit the specs I need, as convenient as she is! The bottom drawer of my desk is a filing cabinet type with hanging rails running right to left, and a secret compartment at the back, its 305 wide, 260 tall, and a whopping 630 deep (its a bloody big drawer!) so I'm planning on going for a bespoke PC installed in the back of the drawer, liquid cooled. I'll make up the frame for the mobo, psu 3.5, 5.25 and IO etc from an old lian-li PC60 thats in my loft.

I did look into the 1050ti mod in great detail, it seems like the best option is the Zotac, since the MSI is WAY too long for the "wrap around" fan idea which works so well - the 750ti is around 146mm, the 1050 is 182mm - what the hell were they thinking!

The Zotac seems features a similar flat top cooler design - excellent for my kinda mod! It even has a channel grooved out along the top, which means I could shorten and thicken the sides and more easily mount the cooler. - the only thing is, it has a large gap between stock fans and cooler fins - it works presumably to allow the air flow from the fan to more evenly distribute itself across the cooler to prevent dead spots - but I just want maximum cooler area! I would have to make the shroud wrap down and touch the tops of the cooler fins inside, since I want all my air to travel the full length. Also, I note the base is quite thick, this would be ideal to machine and solder a flat heat pipe assembly, or even just a copper block into the base which would massively increase performance (since copper transfers double the heat of aluminium)

zotac_02XT1773.jpg

zotac_0XT17733.jpg

The gigabyte is around the same length as the Zotac, and more readily available at this time (I think the Zotac has perhaps just launched?) - so.... I was going to go for the Gigabyte and just machine the cooler down to the max height I can work with and then solder a copper sheet top on to it (I have a proper machine shop at home - who doesn't!?) and at the same time, I would measure the cooler underside clearances, so I could perhaps CNC one from copper cooler stock - yep, also have a CNC mill at home.... who doesn't.... maybe not many actually....

Since they mounted the DVI over the HDMI (dicks!) I have to irreversibly mod whatever card I buy anyway - so hell, why not cut up the cooler while I'm at it! My MSI as it stands is easily reverted back to its full factory cooler, its a true bolt on mod.

So the plan was just that, Gigabyte 1050 ti + machine down, + solder a copper sheet top on, and then 3d print a wrap around fan design again. But now moving away from SFF however if anyone fancies volunteering a card be it MSI/Gigabyte/Zotac, I'll get the mod done, donations welcome - hey you could even let me keep the card, I don't mind :D.

Over and out....

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Hi,

Just sharing my GTX 1050Ti 4GB in a DELL SFF.
System config: Intel i7 8700, 24GM RAM, 512GB EVO 970 SSD, 2TB 2.5" HDD, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.
Overall result is really nice, it is stable and silent.
rF0ubO1.jpg

Associate
A little late to the party, but subbed :)

This looks ace. Could you get a bit more cleareance for the GPU cooler by stripping out some of the PSU casing in the area directly above it? Or maybe even fashioning a joint PSU/GPU shroud with the 3d printer, giving more airflow for both components?

@Callibre41 , @eletrinis and others's projects are amazing and awesome but I don't have the patience, tools and, more importantly, skills to follow their example.

So I took a shortcut suggested by @implosiveturnip and got the dremel out to remove some psu casing and modify the back of the case. This way I was able to fit a vanila 2-slots gtx 1050 in.

I let you judge, but it look like ass, but it was easier, even for a dumbass :)

Note I guess the heat produced by the psu gets "swallowed" by the gpu fan. Bad.

Have a look

1a7d9849996b0f76988f68f7a9a86f51.jpg

18e16719c8aa08ae6773520d2acd42db.jpg

Associate
Or you could simply buy a Nvidia Quadro P1000 4GB LP, which has the same chipset as 1050, but offers up to 4 monitors via mini-DP. I did exactly this for my 2nd SFF desktop.

Associate
Or you could simply buy a Nvidia Quadro P1000 4GB LP, which has the same chipset as 1050, but offers up to 4 monitors via mini-DP. I did exactly this for my 2nd SFF desktop.

Looks Indeed like a cleaner and simple solution but the quadro p1000 is quite more expensive on ebay afaik.

Back
Top Bottom