SG or Les Paul? (Gibson/Epiphone)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
elroberto said:
I'd go for the Les Paul. I've played both but the LP just feels better. Thicker sound and bags of sustain. You'll probably need a chiropractor on speed dial because of the weight though! Plus, a sunburst LP with Chrome hardware is the best looking guitar in history of course!

Heh my yamaha feels as though it's made of balsa, so light :D. I was thinking about the cherry, but the sun burst does indeed look nice.

a_jam_sandwich said:
I use an epiphone LP Standard and love it to bits for the indy crunch goodness :)

The indy tone is good :).

Still yet to go and demo one of these, apart from the trimmings the studio version is very similar to the standard right? (and a lot cheaper).

Associate
The SG will be easier to play when you get higher up on the frets, lighter and harder looking ;)

The les paul will have more sustain (not sure the difference will be a lot however), heavier and more stylish looking.

Overall when I tried my Gison faded SG against a Gibson Faded Les Paul the SG sounded better to my ears and was easier to play thats why I went for it. (I was also listening to a lot of ACDC at the time :) ) The Les Paul standard does look better though imo

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Ah yes I didn't think about that. The less paul is only a single-cuttaway isn't it, would be hard to reach the top frets without bending your hand I imagine?

Associate
I have an Epiphone SG 400 and I love playing it. There isnt much difference between the SG and Les Paul, but I prefered the SG when I Played it. Its totaly up to how the guitar feels to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well Ive just tried both, well both special versions with 3 pickups, totally overkill imo.

But, the SG is lighter, thinner, obviously, but couldn't sit it on my knee AT ALL, it felt neck heavy. The Les Paul felt perfect.

Both had the strings far away from the frets, is this something to do with the action?Oh and both were over £400, obscene.

I didnt tell them I'm going to buy a Les Paul Custom online for £360 in the shop it was £525 :eek:

Oh Trivium and Mastodon use the Gibson versions so you can brag about that... kind of :confused: ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom