SG05 Spec Check

Associate
Sick of lugging my tower between home and uni so looking for a SFF gaming build. Been out of the loop for a while so just wanted to check the following spec and make sure it's alright before pulling the trigger.

Case: Silverstone SG05B Mini ITX
Mobo: DFi Lanparty LP MI P55-T36 mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) - Retail
GFX: 1GB XFX HD 5770, AVP Edition PCI-E 2.1
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
HDD: 2x Western digital SCORPIO BLACK 2.5" 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB

Look ok? All I have right now is the CPU, so the rest of the components are open to change if there's anything better out there. Will deal with after-market cooling later if I feel the need.Thx.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Went ahead and pulled the trigger; just switched out the 2x scorpio blacks for 1x patriot torqx 64GB SSD. Realised that it was pretty stupid to raid 2x2.5" drives as they would occupy the only 3.5" bay. The SSD should give a noticeable performance boost for OS and apps and I can add an old 3.5" for storage.

Also ordered a Samsung SN-T083C slot loading drive which I hope will fit. Everything else seems pretty standard going by the SG05 builds that I've seen - just a little conerned that the PSU will have enough grunt but it seems pretty solid from what I've read.

Associate
OP
Seems good. You'll need a special cable for the slimline optical drive.

What are you going for in terms of CPU cooling?
Thanks, had no idea that I needed an additional cable, I'm guessing it's this?

Not sure about the CPU cooling, wanted to get an idea of stock temps first, was considering the Scythe Big Shuriken but apparently it presses against the casing so maybe just a Rev.B instead. Might try a H50 down the line but don't really want to lose the 3.5" bay or mod the case just yet. Any other ideas would be appreciated. :)

Soldato
That's the one yes.

Might be worth trying the Intel stock cooler first and seeing what temps you get. I run a dual core 32nm Core i5 so the stock Intel cooler is more than enough to keep it cool, even under load.

Associate
Hi there i a a similar spec (see pics, please excuse the quality) and its great. My spec is:

Case: Silverstone SG05B Mini ITX
Mobo: DFi Lanparty LP MI P55-T36 mini-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) - Retail
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 with 2 Silent eagle fans, CPU at stock 31 degrees
GFX: 1GB Saphirre HD 5770
RAM: OCZ obsidian 4GB (2x2GB)
HDD: 1 40gb kingston ssd

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks great, would really love to run a H50 in mine, just not sure I can live without the 3.5" slot as it's going to me my main rig - guess I'll take a look at the temps on air before taking the plunge. What sort of clocks are you looking at with that setup btw?

Soldato
I'm thinking of doing a similar build based on the New lan li Q08 case or G07 Sugo.

I just need a case that fits my GTX260 in it.

The G07 looks good because the psu is front mounted but it still only has a gay slim DVD slot:/ Maybe I could get a DVD drive caddy for my HD-DVD/BD reader?

I'm personnaly waiting to see what people's temp is with the new lan li Q08. If it's acceptable I may get that as I can use my full size GTX260 and big blu-ray reader.

Associate
Looks great, would really love to run a H50 in mine, just not sure I can live without the 3.5" slot as it's going to me my main rig - guess I'll take a look at the temps on air before taking the plunge. What sort of clocks are you looking at with that setup btw?

i have the i5 750 at stock speeds and it runs 31 degress. Without the cd drive you can easily fit in a couple of harddrives, or just get an external esata drive

Back
Top Bottom