1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall i go to uni?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megahurtz400, 10 Nov 2009.

1. Klo

Mobster

Well I didn't particularly want to go to uni, but I didn't really have anything else to do, so I did. I didn't want a low paying job for the rest of my life, and wanted some time before I had to go out to the 'real' scary world.

I chose economics and got into the University of Sussex (which isn't too bad), and am currently in my 6th week there. Overall, its better than I was expecting it to be, but not as good as I was perhaps 'dreaming' it to be. The problem for me is that I'm slightly anti-social just in my personality, and I don't drink or like going clubbing. However, there are so many people there at uni that I found a few people similar to me in someway, and we just hang around together.

Coursewise, as I had already done Economics for A level, so far on the whole we are just recapping when I already knew. I guess the real test for me and whether I want to continue will be when I start learning the new stuff, and it all gets harder.

2. Nitefly

Man of Honour

What / where are you applying for?

3. rsatd

Mobster

I went to uni not knowing what I would end up doing, on a rough offer of E in either of 3 subjects, in the end I got a mix of D's and C's. Now work as a software engineer, grades do not really matter much. And I had no idea what job I wanted to have, and never even imagined myself in this job. But the course was relavant, with a ton of practical work, so I would look for something similar close to whatever your hobbies are.

4. Secret_Window

Mobster

I think if you are in the position to go to uni when you can't find a job you're interested in or like doing, then definitely do it. But obviously make sure you decide on a course that you're definitely interested in or otherwise as previously said, going in just for the social life and racking up debts is a bit OTT.

5. Megahurtz400

Sgarrista

I think I'm going to go for it!!

Problem is, architectural technology/design is the course for people who can't get into a prope architecture course, and I can't find a foundation course for it =\ Anyone know if any or any info on courses that will do the same job?

Cheers guys, OcUK is such an invaluable resource at times :)

6. mattheman

PermaBanned

re do your A levels or the modules that you got low marks in dont go to uni till your 21.

7. Ghosteh

Mobster

My advise would be move out and get a place with mates who are going to Uni, and get yourself a full time job. That's what I did, lived the student life style of partying, girls and beer, and enjoyed myself because I had money and no debts :p.

8. sammo62

Wise Guy

Disagree- dont get a job unless you are sure its the job you want- or you will end up regretting it.

9. Secret_Window

Mobster

Indeed, but there's something wrong doing a part time small job somewhere to get a bit of cash while you're waiting to get into uni or while you're at uni.

10. Rich1988

Soldato

Hate to say but its not in most cases, agreed in some certain areas you absolutely have to have a degree but in my experience, (talking to previous and my current boss) a prospective employer will take job experience in the relevant field over a qualification every time

11. Nymins

Sgarrista

95% of the time its the opposite. Employers much prefer someone with experience in the job they are recruiting for as said above.

12. Zefan

Don

Architecture can be very, very difficult. The pressure my girlfriend is under at the moment is huge, the amount of work they are expected to complete is in my opinion ridiculous, as it is totally overwhelming. You can expect a lot of time studying things that at first seem completely separate from architecture, however are eventually somehow linked in the name of developing an idea. Plenty of work in photoshop, making films and presenting work on concepts seem to be the bread and butter of the design part of the course that my girlfriend is doing.

I have no idea what architectural design is about, I'll ask her the next time we speak.

13. mattyprice4004

Soldato

I haven't got a degree, and was stuck in a rut until about 12 months ago when by pure chance I got my current job, 20 years old and earning 20k so not too bad.

Also opportunity for progression, so win win! Don't just go to Uni because there is nothing else about, jobhunting should be first on the list :)

14. ajstan

Wise Guy

Exactly ;)

15. westie17

Hitman

How much more difficult is uni work over A-Level?

16. Gunni Parker

Wise Guy

Just don't do Media or Psychology, biggest waste of time as every cat and his dog is doing that course.

17. I get around

Mobster

You need the degree to get the job experience though usually.

Uni is to get your foot in the door of the working world, you've almost always got to start low down.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2009
  18. Ant123

Gangster

You sound like me. I dont know whether to go to uni either.

19. I get around

Mobster

I used to be like that, "should I go to uni" I just thought "might as well, theres sod all else to do"

I mean what are you going to do if you don't go to uni in all fairness?

20. fizzle-187

Wise Guy

Whats wrong with Psychology?

I was thinking of taking up that degree next year.